The TAMI Show is ready for DVD release!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The follow-up film, The Big TNT Show, had the Ronettes in a spectacular set. I'd love to see this come out on dvd as well.

2. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I really loved the Stones, Beachboys and James Brown. Lesley Gore and the Supremes were pretty good to. Poor Billy J. Kramer was too nervous to perform. I love those hits of his but this performance wasn't very good. Moulty put on a good show for the Barbarians. Everybody else was ok except Jan and Dean seemed out of place.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

With 20/20 hindsight, perhaps. But they were still at the top at this wonderful moment in time, late '64.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

:righton:

5. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

In the '64 NME show Billy J. does very well, moving around fluidly like a pro. I guess he really was nervous on the T.A.M.I. Show.
    Jan and Dean did a great job. The only bummers were the Barbarians and Leslie Gore. She sang SIX song, two of which were never on the radio and no good. She was so last year.

6. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

I have that on DVD but still waiting for the official version, The Big TNT Show just doesn't have the excitement of the T.A.M.I. Show; for me anyway :shrug:

7. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I agree. The acts are very good but the staging, directing and especially the I Spy guy hosting was very inferier. Too bad they didn't get Steve Bender.

8. Rocketstail

I think Chuck Berry had 3 hit records out that year Nadine, No Particular Place To Go and You Never Can Tell, but it was like the gauntlet being passed from one era to another ... Berry to Pacemakers etc.

9. Mike Love does look like a middle-aged dentist trying to get down with his nephews or something...never mind that he was, what, the eldest by only six months or so?

10. I don't recall being more bummed out at the end of a movie than with this one, when the camera pulls back on all the artists and dancers cutting loose en masse on stage and then the little super "the end" pops up in the lower right corner of the screen...booooo!

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

But it was Al Jardine who had actually quit the band for a year to go to dental school. :D

12. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

So was Ringo, and 'funny fills' excepted, it's hard to tell him from a right handed drummer.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutey right about Ringo....I thought I was ok being a lefty and learning drums on a righty kit but after 10 years decided to turn my kit around lefty....stronger hand wins out on fills 'round the toms!

13. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Talk about unorthodox, ever see Joe English from Wings?...same deal, a lefty playing on a righty kit...

14. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Yes, he played lefty on a righty kit, whether he wrote with his left hand, I don't know....one assumes if he plays lefty then he must BE a lefty..speaking from personal experience.

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Can't say that I have....but what about Macca himself? Does he play a righty or lefty kit when he drums? I'm thinking righty, so he wouldn't have to rearrange Ringo's kit whenever he wanted to demonstrate something.

16. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

He was not left handed. He never took lessons, so he did what was comfortable for him. He played the hi-hat with his left hand while postioned on the left side like right handed drummer would postion it. Just used the incorrect hand to play.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just saw this show for the first time on PBS. This show is just wild for 1964! People dancing all over place. Girl in a bikini jiggling al around at the end. Loud rock and roll! Wasn't this a crazy thing to broadcast back then??

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

It wasn't broadcast, it was made for theaters...

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh :hide:

20. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Still, bikini jiggles wasn't seen as terribly rude back then. I think the combination of Laugh-In day-glo on Goldie Hawn, gogo dancers in night clubs and the coming hippie culture made it all seem *not* like adult fantasy fodder but more like youth gone wild, in a good way.

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Except, this was WAY before Laugh In.

22. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

But it was at exactly the same time as a million beach movies whose sole saving grace was shimmying young women in bikinis. In other words, nothing new.

23. Rocketstail

True, and all the music shows Shindig, Hullabaloo etc.
    There was another show; Hollywood A Go-Go from LA; 1964-65 with the Gazzarri dancers:
    http://www.gazzarridancers.com/home.html

Here's James Brown performing Out Of Sight on Hollywood A Go-Go from June 26th 1965:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJpoSKBGUpU

24. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I was 15 back in 1964 and remember hearing about this movie. It was never shown in any theaters near where I lived, back then. The first time I saw the T.A.M.I. Show was on cable back in the late 70s. I never saw it again until the DVD was released. It is a great reminder of what was popular when I was a teenager back in the mid 60s.

I think this has been mentioned before, but one of the dancers in the T.A.M.I. Show is Teri Garr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.