The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

The difference in weight is probably very little; it's the same model as the Technics headshell.
    I've weighted another variant of the Technics headshell (M5G) that has the threaded hole for an additional headshell weight on top, just like your example has.
    The difference was less than 0.4 grams:
    [​IMG]
    Stock silver Technics SL-1210M5G headshell
    [​IMG]
    Stock Technics SL-1200G/GR headshell

The main difference is that it doesn't have azimuth adjustment, but that's not an issue if you don't need it.

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I wouldn't assume that another shell with the same design is the same weight as a Technics shell.
    Looks can be deceiving.

Oelewapper likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

I know... I just think that it's reasonable for this model in particular to assume.
    I've weighted a Reloop variant and an AT variant in the past that also weighted close to 8 grams.
    They're all just made of aluminium, no special graphite, magnesium or any other exotic material.
    The dimensions are more or less exact copies.
    At least there's not a reason to assume that it'll do any harm, but if you want to know if all things are optimal, you can always either weigh the total mass or do a tonearm resonance test.

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

I just found the old Reloop headshell and I suppose you're more or less right, it's 9.95 grams including wires, which is almost 25% heavier compared to the Technics headshells, but still a very light headshell, since most designs are over 10 grams:
    [​IMG]

For example: the 2M Black I use is mounted on an Ortofon LH-6000 headshell, which is spec'ed at 13.5 grams (and that's not even remarkably heavy).

punkmusick and Slick Willie like this.
  5. Slick Willie

Yup, really hard to best a Technics shell if lightweight is what you seek. They are different!

Oelewapper likes this.
  6. Oelewapper

Aparently... The world of turntables is full of surprises haha
    That's what makes measuring interesting, to separate facts from fiction! :p

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Well, the only other headshells I have are pioneer ones and those do feel significantly heavier.
    the shure v15 (iii) should be alright on that arm I'm assuming, I can let you all know if it is not for sure!
    Why might I need azimuth? I've never had that option.

8. Oelewapper

Azimuth is needed when the cantilever isn't 100% straight or the tip isn't glued 100% vertical on the cantilever.
    I've never really bothered with azimuth, but some people do it for every cartridge, to get closer to perfection.
    To me, that's just bordering OCD :p

9. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

One time after cleaning the stylus, i hear an unbalanced sound. I checked and, yes, a tiny twist in the cantilever.

The headshell with azimuth saved me from a new stylus.

10. Robert Godridge

Interesting, so that's what I'll do if I bend the stylus by accident rather than panic! thanks!

11. Robert Godridge

So reading your post, I guess my shure v15 (iii) won't be going in the technics shell without a spacer which I don't have?
    I have it mounted in another shell which works great on another turntable. Is this not going to be the case on the technics arm? haven't got it yet.

12. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

another way to "raise" the tonearm is using a thicker mat ... the "normal" technics rubber mats are 3 / 4 mm but they made another with 6 mm. This mat can be hard to find, buy i use a cork mat under the stock mat when i need 2 o 3 mm more.
    Also it's very easy to change the mat when you change the headshell in the tonearm, if you have many cartridges with different heights.

bru87tr likes this.
  13. Lecocutes

Lecocutes Member

Hello,

I just have a quick question to you about 1200G.

When you change the speed settings from 33 rps to 78 rps can you hear a very subtle sound level increase produced by the turntable? You need to be very close to the turntable in order to hear it.

Please let me know whether that is the case for you too.

14. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Why would this be a problem, do you listen to music that quietly?

I hope you realise that the tiny sound produced by a cartridge needs boosting by a phono stage, preamp, amps and speakers!

(no change at any speed on my 1200G even with ear against 1200G platter).

15. Slick Willie

I can hear nothing when switching to and from 33 to 78.

16. Lecocutes

Lecocutes Member

Thanks for letting me know!

17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

When the turntable is “cold” and hasn’t been used yet for the day I can hear a very faint sound if I put my ear up to the ‘table with it spinning. After a few minutes it goes away and is silent.

These have a self-lubricating shaft that seems to take a few minutes to warm up. For reference, my turntable has been in use for about three years now. I mentioned it to Kevin at KAB and he thought it was normal.
    [​IMG]

18. Slick Willie

Perhaps I'm deaf, but I checked mine cold.

snorker likes this.
  19. Oelewapper

I concur, a very quiet sound can be heard in the beginning at my 1200G too, but I have to put my ear close to the platter to be able to hear it.
    No difference between speeds.

snorker likes this.
  20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Faint...like whooshing of air. Nothing to be concerned over anyway.

Oelewapper and Slick Willie like this.
  21. Robert Godridge

just got the 1200gr,
    really confused about the strobe dots. When playiing an lp they all move other than 0 dots second from botom. Is this normal? totally blind so can't do much about pictures, what dots should/shouldn't move? there is no setting where they are all still...

22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Your turntable is operating correctly.

Choose a different speed, then notice that the 33 1/3 dots are moving but a different row is still.

Different rows of dots for different speed settings.

23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm thinking of a 1200G as the next upgrade and keep my current 1200GR for 78's. What cartridges are you using with the G?

24. Robert Godridge

Just saying hi as nice to meet another fan of 78s, they're my main interest!

25. Robert Godridge

thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Agitater likes this.