The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I just got the silver myself for my 1200gr. Looks great. I'm still waiting on the rubber boots. Next, I need to find a slick looking isolation platform.

Oelewapper likes this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Same here...I cant's see the wire making a difference . Keep us posted after you swap out the ground wire.

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I have the Pro-Ject Wallmount-it 5 works very good and can be leveled by using 4 bolts, but the metal frame needs to be filled up with foam.

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I need one that sits on a shelf. Butcher Block acoustics seem to have nice ones

5. Oelewapper

I've come across many recommendations on a butcher block from Ikea, doesn't break the bank, so that's a nice one to experiment with.
    You might want to take a look at this thread: Ikea Chopping Board for Turntable Isolation?
    Probably wise to put some Vibrapods or spikes under it though.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Good luck. Grounding and electrical related problems are difficult to solve over the internet. Someone would really need to look at all your equipment, how it is hooked up, and look around for other potential problems. Things like other equipment with transformers being too close, Wifi stuff, various home appliances, outlets, etc. can all be problems. One guy on here had a problem with a deep freezer in his garage on the same circuit as his stereo system. A friend of mine lived in an older building with bad wiring and had to move to fix his issue.

Oelewapper and Hardcore like this.
  7. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

Yes I hope it works out Robert. While it seems unlikely the ground wire was faulty, It sounds like it’s worth a try given the diagnosis we’ve done so far.

If it doesn’t make any difference you can always return it.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Let us see the black ones and vote.

Oelewapper likes this.
  9. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I always turn off the extention that has all my computer stuff plugged into it when listening to records because that does make it worse. I do wonder if the earth wire is somehow faulty, because it doesn't make any noise when one end is unplugged...

10. Robert Godridge

Other than a faulty ground wire I can't possibly imagine what it could be, it doesn't make any of the usual noises when a ground is disconnected when it's unplugged, so something isn't rite...

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A bad wire can happen but it's rare. Let us know what happens when you try the new wire. Is the turntable near any other audio equipment or appliances? Do you have a thermostat or dimmer switch near the turntable? Any other appliances not near it but on the same circuit?

12. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

Thank you for posting the pics. Looks great, I think definitely better than the black ones.

Can I ask what you have underneath the block it’s sitting on? I have a very similar situation, but go back and forth between Hudson hifi dimes and hockey pucks.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

That "block" is a wallmounted shelf because the floors here are wooden vibration conductors - most of my system is placed on a table directly under it, the black device under the wallmount is an SPL Phonos phono preamp.
    Because there's a door next to it, the shelf wasn't enough, so I added the Isonoe feet and Isonoe Sorbothane pads.

aphexacid likes this.
  14. aphexacid

Ah I see now. That’s what I need to do. These old floors are like like springs. I’ve spent more more money then I’d like to say trying to eliminate it. I would do a wall mount, but we’ll be moving within a year.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Oelewapper likes this.
  15. aphexacid

So let me ask you guys a question. I have a 3” butcher block that I want to put under my deck. So I’m trying to figure out what should go under the butcher block?

I bought these to go under the block, but maybe they’re no good for it?
    2.5" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Bumper, Non-Skid Isolation Feet with Adhesive – 20 Duro – 4 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SV39KW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qRp8EbKS8R1W4

Should I just do something basic like hockey pucks? Or is there something better for the job?

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You could try these:

MP-2E - DiversiTech MP-2E - E.V.A. Anti-Vibration Pad, 2" x 2" x 7/8"

They are cheap and several people here use them. I can't speak to how effective they are with springy wood floors though...just an FYI that they will mar furniture finishes unless you set them on slips of paper.

aphexacid likes this.
  17. aphexacid

Do you think those are better, or these
    Tuneful Cables Sound Isolation Pads. Cork Pads for Speakers to Improve Sound and Reduce Vibration (1" Pack of 8) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082J6FV57/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_33p8EbR9ME9KY

These are cork in the middle looks like

18. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Just a heads up on those squares from Supply House, they have a very strong odor. Mine are still "airing out" in the basement.

aphexacid likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Dunno, likely made by the same company that makes the Diversitech pads and I've seen them sold under various brand names with the cork insert. You'd have to try them to see what works better for you personally. Now, anything with that type of rubber backing is going to have a chemical odor as @dcarwin said. My Diversitech pads are a couple years old at this point and the odor is basically gone now.

dcarwin and aphexacid like this.
  20. aphexacid

Got it. Just ordered both. Let’s see if there’s a difference. I’ll be able to tell right away if one is better than the other at killing the vibrations.

thanks guys

dcarwin and patient_ot like this.
  21. Robert Godridge

Because this house is old and the sockets are extremely hard to get to, everything is on extentions. I have tried unplugging every item one by one from the extention and it hasn't made any difference, though I can't unplug the entire lot at once. I really don't think it's anything on the extention though. My mixer which acts as my amp, speakers and a couple of usually inactive hard drive are what's plugged into it.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Short of getting someone to go through all your equipment connections and an electrician testing all your sockets it's hard to say for sure. Again, hard to get at the root of the problem over the internet. Hopefully it's something simple and the ground wire fixes the problem. If not, going to be more complicated to fix.

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Do you have a ground tester? I wonder now if your extension cable and even your socket are grounded.

24. Robert Godridge

Once my friend is able to use public transport again he may well test it all out, if the new ground wire doesn't help.
    While yes this problem is annoying it's only really noticeable with a sub up fairly loud and is only taking my enoyment away in a metta sort of way if that makes sense!
    I have just put the needle on a record and turned my sub and speakers up full to see what that sounded like. I was expecting feedback and got a little bit, moved the deck around and managed to get it to where there is no feedback what so ever which I'm impressed by, but still this ground thing is irritating.
    For what it's worth the noise sounds like this
    http://oldgramophonerecords.co.uk/techntest7.wav

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Robert Godridge

I'm totally blind so if you mean a meter I couldn't see one, however it might well be worth getting one to see what is going on if the new ground wire doesn't help.
    By the way the ground wire cost less than £5 with p and p, so while I could have probably got any old wire at that price it's hardly worth the bother!

patient_ot likes this.