The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Hahaha.... ..Well, I usually do very much gaf about money, but in this case I decided to splurge. And while I don't expect to hear a difference, I'm certainly open to the possibility. Moreover, I do expect it to be the very last TT I buy.

My non-audiophile friends sometimes tease me about what I've spent on my stereo. ..But they usually stop when I point to their $10K watch which is no better at keeping time than a Casio, or their $20K motorcycle they'll ride a few times a year. I use my stereo about 2hrs/ day!

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

For me, I wanted a last upgrade table and the arm on the G was the biggest factor for me.
    The added dampening on the G and better motor sealed the deal!

TarnishedEars likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

totally agree. Personally, I don’t need to justify how I spend my money other than because I damn want to :) In terms of long term enjoyment, amortized over however long you plan to use the thing, hifi gear are pretty sound investments IMHO. I know my GR will most likely last close to 20 years before needing any kind of fixing, at least based on my experience with the previous models, and I’m sure your new GAE will do the same if not more and provide you with a lot of satisfaction. Enjoy my friend, life is short and I love reading stories of fellow GR owners going for the gold :)

4. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

20 Years!?!?! Are you kidding? Take care of the GR and it should last forever. May need some grease at some point but what are you expecting to fail?
    The Mk2 I bought USED in 1987 is still playing as it did when it was new. I expect the same or better from my GR

punkmusick, patient_ot and csgreene like this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I could have swore I said 20 years before needing any kind of fixing/tweaking/fine tuning. I used a pair of mk2’s with hs buddies of mine as we ran a little DJ company that did house parties and regardless of how much torture we put those things in, they still are going strong today! At one point we did need to get the tone arm bearings looked at but outside of some pitch fader spray and spindle oil the thing has been rock solid. One of the reasons why I went with the GR, I’d love to be able to continue to get my kids interested in vinyl and hope I can pass it down to them one day.

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I get it completely. I own three Rolex watches (all bought new many years past now) and a couple of Omegas, drive a Lexus LX (also starting to age), have some high end optics (telescopes and binoculars), cameras, etc. I know *exactly* what you mean! :D I just haven't spent *big* bucks on hi-fi although if I added up the cost of all my systems, I could have one better system instead of 4 pretty decent systems for my listening needs and tastes.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    ODS123 likes this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I agree. My Technics SL-QL1 is now 35 years old and still works and looks (mostly) like new.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

SL-Q2 with 38 years ... only 2 drops of Technics oil in the spindle every 4 years ... working flawless.

JohnO, ranch 22b and patient_ot like this.
  9. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

The SL-1200G spindle bearing is self lubricating, so those require even less maintenance! :righton:

10. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Simply spectacular ... Bravo Technics!

patient_ot likes this.
  11. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

How does it self-lubricate? ..I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious how it accomplishes this.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Oelewapper

Inside the motor assembly there are few parts made of porous metal which hold the lubrication fluid. The fluid is moved through the assembly by the motion of the spindle shaft.
    All I know is that it's a proven concept, but I'm not an expert at it :p

Mike70, ODS123, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Dignan2000 likes this.
  14. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

15. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I'm assuming this is quite normal, but
    I'd left the needle on a stationery record to answer the door, and when I came back accidentally turned my sub up almost full. Wow! instant nasty feedback. OUt of curiosity I then walked around the room and shure enough I could hear some of my footsteps. Did it when my wife was playing music down stairs and the bass/drums were audible through my cartridge along with the feedback.
    This is after mounting the 1200gr on a plywood bord.
    Is the morrel of this story "who listens to music with the sub up full anyway" and this is perfectly normal, or what should I do to make it better?
    I do not get this rumble at normal listening levels. It's definitely feedback not a normal hum, and the volume has to be up fairly loud for it to be bad as does the sub.
    I've tried moving the deck around on the bord, the positioning of the feet does make a big difference but they seem to like to be at odd angles!

16. Robert Godridge

and is the GR's bearing the same?

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The plywood is probably too live of a surface to be ideal. Particle board is much more dead, and should make some level of improvement. But something denser would be even better.

You also might want to investigate wall mounts.

recstar24 likes this.
  18. Oelewapper

Damping pads under the feet helps and upgrading to suspended feet too, like the Isonoe feet I use.
    But if you’ve already installed the wall mount, it’s probably isolated well enough against things like footsteps.

19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I use a solid marble base under the turntable ... also you can try a DIY board with a wood or plastic case filled with sand, but a marble base worked well for me. Acoustics depends on each case, so experiment is your friend.

20. Robert Godridge

Isonoe feet sounds like it could be a good idea, do they go under the existing ones or replace them?
    Yes this is with the bord as a wall mount. Problem is these floors are carpetted, old and fairly crap!
    I forgot to add if I ware earphones I can also hear footsteps, slamming doors, etc but I suppose that's to be expected in a way.

21. Oelewapper

The Isonoe feet are indeed a replacement for the Technics feet, you need to unscrew the technics feet and the Isonoe screw right in, because they have the same thread.
    We also have wooden floors with carpet over here, but the wallmount mounted to a load bearing wall solved most issues.
    Because my wallmount is directly next to a door, I also needed additional isolation from the Isonoe isolation feet and Sorbothane pads.
    The isolation feet primarily reduce mid and low frequencies, while the Sorbothane primarily reduces mid and higher frequencies.
    I can now close the door next to it, without audible feedback at normal volume; I can highly recommend it.

22. Robert Godridge

Other than the isonoe feet and a wall shelf, what was it that helped you not to hear closing doors? my turntable is rite next to the door and it can clearly be heard closing. This is mostly not an issue as it's just my wife and I living here and I can say to her hey, I'm going to record an lp, can you not slam doors, but it is still irritating. We're also on a road so a big truck going by can mean a retake sometimes! this again is after wallmounting the deck.

23. Oelewapper

For me, the Isonoe feet and Sorbothane pads helped against vibrations of the door closing.
    YMMV, since I have a 1200G that is significantly heavier than the 1200GR.
    Idk if you have a tonearm damper installed, but maybe the KAB TD-1000 tonearm damper I have also adds a bit of damping against those "door vibrations".

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have the 1200G on a table with wheels on a carpeted wooden floor. No audible feedback but it is 9 ft or more from any door but only a couple feet partially behind a speaker. The stock isolation feet and weight of the deck are very effective isolators. I doubt in most circumstances Isonoe feet will make much difference. They were a standard recommendation for the old mk II. I think an Ikea Aptitlig board with sorbothane feet or metal cones would be all that is needed and cost little (have one under my Orbe).

25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I guess I'm lucky that my main system (with the 1210GR) is in a basement with slab concrete floors). I've had to do nothing to get max sounds from the table other than set it on the cabinet, install the cart, and make the fine adjustments.

Challjr likes this.