The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

That’s not just with audio equipment, but I think it’s the case with most “niche products”.
    For example, I used to be into mechanical watches and it’s just about the same with those :p

2. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning

Would be interesting to see how many paid 500 quid more for this table over the likes of the 1500c just for the 'Japan' gimmick.

...errr, think I'll just leave now, I fear for my life....
    !!

3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

"Please take my money" :biglaugh:

Oelewapper likes this.
  4. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well, I think the GR have much quality, it's pretty obvious if you "see / touch" both tts, and Technics talks about some internal differences.

And ... yes, I really like to pay more for a better quality process, Japanese products comes with peace of mind included.

That's not pay thousands for something with "space technology", "cryogenical treated parts", blah blah. In that way I'm with you.

The nosense in audio is real ... but we cannot go to the extreme ... a cheap tripath amplifier will be way better than a Naim or a Mcintosh? ... no, in any universe, no.

luckybaer likes this.
  5. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

and the variable speed. That is very important to me as a 78 collector...

luckybaer and Oelewapper like this.
  6. Oelewapper

Finally someone understands that. Most audiophiles just dismiss the pitchfader as an useless DJ goodie.

luckybaer likes this.
  7. Robert Godridge

It was a good part of the reason I bought my gr, I'm archiving records of all types with it (hence my hum irritation) and 78s is not at all an accurate term to describe shellac discs lol

luckybaer and Oelewapper like this.
  8. Rob Jenkins

Rob Jenkins Forum Resident

Hi all,
    I’ve recently added an SL-1200G to my setup and I’m experiencing some nasty hum at higher listening volumes. I know there are plenty of threads on hum but I thought I’d start off here to see if I’m heading in the right direction. Set up is below:

Technics SL-1200G & Audio Technica AT33PTG/II MC Cartridge, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ Phono Stage
    PrimaLuna DiaLogue Preamplifier & DiaLogue HP Power Amplifier

I’ve tried all the usual stuff: a grounding cable between TT and phono, TT and preamp, TT to phono to preamp, no grounding, and grounded individual components with a grounding plug but the hum remains in all scenarios.

My first guess was I’d installed the cartridge incorrectly, but I still get hum with the headshell removed. I also still get hum with the TT disconnected from the phono stage. So it must be the phono stage, correct?

Then I connected the TT directly to an old Marantz Integrated. I have to turn the volume about halfway to get any sound out of this thing, but there is no hum.

Is there anything above that suggests the issue is not the phono stage, or at least the power supply to it. I mention the power as the phono is the only component using a cheap looking 3 pin wall-wart with a plastic earth pin. Everything else is powered with a YellO mains cable.

tl;dr - I should be able to get this table dead quiet with my setup, yes?

9. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Is anything else connected to the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Preamplifier? If so, remove those connections and see if that changes anything. What settings do you have on the Phonomena, 60dB gain and 100 ohm load? Or? Are you using the cables that came with the Technics? Are the components all plugged into the same outlet? Can the polarity on the Phonomena plug be reversed, ie flipped around?

Edit: Oh, I see you said it has three prongs, so guess not, the USA version uses a 2-prong snap-in plug. My Phonomena II+ is very quiet when using LOMC carts. The plug is a DC-DC convertor, so should be well away from other devices too, but that is usually the case since it plugs in the wall.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  10. Rob Jenkins

Is anything else connected to the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Preamplifier? Streamer and CD player.
    If so, remove those connections and see if that changes anything. Will do.
    What settings do you have on the Phonomena, 60dB gain and 100 ohm load? 60dB and 150 ohm for some reason. Just switched to 100.
    Are you using the cables that came with the Technics? No, using QED reference interconnects & Cardas headshell leads
    Are the components all plugged into the same outlet? They can be, I have tried different permutations i.e. all in one, just the phono on it's own etc.
    Can the polarity on the Phonomena plug be reversed, ie flipped around? Not with the plug I have.

11. Oelewapper

That indicates that it’s either the phono stage itself or hum from other components conducted/radiated into the phono preamp.

Tried disconnecting and turning off everything except the phono preamp and the necessary devices needed to be able to hear the hum?
    Make sure that all the necessary equipment is connected to the same powerstrip when testing.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  12. Rob Jenkins

Hey, you might be onto something here. Maybe the 150 ohm setting was a problem as now the hum is only evident at 'neighbour disturbing' levels!

I'll plug the streamer and CD player back in when I've stopped sweating. Tube amps are not a good choice in a British heatwave and sometimes I really regret having all the cables etc. hidden away.

Would still like to try a better plug for the Phonomena but was struggling to find one.
    Cheers.

13. Rob Jenkins

Yeah, thanks. I was sort of hoping someone would agree with that assumption. I definitely need to make my power strip more accessible!

Of course, now I don't know if unplugging the 2 components, or changing the phono stage settings had the bigger impact. Guess I'll find out when they're reconnected.
    Thanks.

Dignan2000 and Oelewapper like this.
  14. Oelewapper

That can be hard to remember if the hum level isn’t significantly louder after replugging.
    If you’re looking to minimize hum as much as possible, it’s useful to record the amount of hum or do a dB measurement and write it down.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Well, there shouldn't really be a difference between 100 and 150 ohms with regards to noise, I was just wondering if it was running full open at 100K ohms. I typically run most of my LOMC carts at around 500 ohms load, including the AT33PTG/II.

16. Robert Godridge

Hum is the very devil. As you can see above I have some hum issues but it doesn't usually get in the way of music. I hope yours stays fixed/better!
    With the gr at least possibly the g too, there seems to be some stupid tonearm earthing issue going on. As an experiment, try touching the ground screw (not the earth but the screw) and see if yours lessens significantly. Mine does and I still haven't figured out how to solve it and it isn't just me, someone else over on vinylengine has the exact same problem.

17. Rob Jenkins

Cheers both. I've just blown a PrimaLuna fuse in all the excitement. Mental note to keep all tinkerings to a weekend and not rush things. Luckily I had a spare one here.

All components are plugged back in with no obvious increase in the hum (but as you said, that's just going by my ear).
    I think hum is down to an inaudible 'between song' level which was my first goal. Dead silence may be a step to far.

Not sure if the 150 to 100 setting made a difference or if it was a placebo effect. Though I do now have my power strip on the window sill and away from all the interconnects and every connection has been unplugged and reconnected.

A good weekend of listening is required before I know for sure!
    By the way, I love this turntable. It did the same thing that every major upgrade has done to me - make familiar songs sound strangely unfamiliar on first listen.

18. Rob Jenkins

Yes, it doesn't really impact my listening, it's just knowing that it's there at the top volumes.
    Do you mean the ground screw under the turntable? I will try on the weekend, I may try and 'borrow' a phono stage from my local dealer to compare.
    The interconnects and ground on this turntable are not easy to get at!

I'm assuming people on here have this turntable set up with zero hum?

19. Oelewapper

Mine had a bit of hum, but managed to reduce it to a level that’s below the -68dB noisefloor of my phono preamp, making the hum pragmatically absent.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  20. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Sounds to me like there is an issue with the signal grounding properly to the preamp. Is the ground on the mixer the case ground or the signal ground? This issue is why some DJs have their tables modified to remove the ground cable and internally ground to the signal ground instead of the chassis ground.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Gimmick? :confused:

All Technics turntables were made in Japan until last year... that’s hardly a gimmick, as it’s a Japanese company...

22. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Where are they made now then?

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

The models in the title of this thread are still made in Japan.

The SL-1500c and SL-1200 mk7, both introduced last year, are made in Malaysia. That post seemed to somehow be saying it was a “gimmick” to still make the more expensive models in Japan...

Twinsfan007 and Dignan2000 like this.
  24. Oelewapper

Yeah the reason for doing their highend models in Japan is because they use their former (pre-2010) production location, so they could re-hire old, experienced personnel who still know how to do things like adjusting tonearm bearings to perfection.
    Aparently, doing the same job for a long time is still considered as something honorable and respectable over there; in many countries it’s seen as a lack of ambition nowadays.

schwaggy, Dignan2000 and Big Blue like this.
  25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I disagree with that poster, is not a gimmick for me. If properly supervised by the parent company things built almost anywhere can be of top quality but generally I would still be prepared to pay a premium for items produced in certain countries over others because I can't shake the idea that you still get something better. In this case the models are different and higher up the line so you do get something better indeed and you pay for it.

Big Blue likes this.