The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I don't believe there is in the states. ..They're all charging $1699 (for the GR, that is. ..Not sure about Mk7). ..And I'm glad for that. The dealers need to make enough to stay afloat.

Big Blue and recstar24 like this.
  2. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

3. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Depends on where you are I guess. I got a 15% discount on the price tag, and I hardly had to ask.

4. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

Where did you purchase from, if you dont mind?

5. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Cobra in Paris.

6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I bought my Nagaoka MP-500 in this place if I'm not mistaken.

7. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Pulled the trigger on an SL-1210GR. I had been going back and forth between it and an SL-1500C (and even the AT-LP140XP) and eventually the GR won out. I figured if I bought any of the others I'd just be looking to upgrade again. With the GR I'm set. Managed to score a 10% discount which I'm happy about as there's not much stock around at the moment. Should be here in a week or two.

8. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I thought those new Technics decks were Quartz locked into speed. Now I read the manual earlier today and the word Quartz is nowhere to be found in it. It says speed is computer controlled (much like the old servo controlled tables I believe, but better I guess). Is that right? Why did they ditch Quartz?

9. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

All modern disc players are quartz locked with high speed digital control circuits, be it CD, or Blu-ray, or LP (at least the ones with control circuits), or whatever device you are trying to control the data flow from, so probably not worth mentioning like it was in the 70s (though this has been asked around here a few times, so they may want to reconsider :)). They don't use the term quartz locked on any of the newer models since they have a more sophisticated digital control system now with much more powerful modern microprocesors, and they talk about generating the comparison waveform from a sine wave stored in ROM (which they credit to their blu-ray player development), but the speed control is always based on syncing to an accurate high frequency crystal oscillator. Quartz lock was originally just a term used for the crystal oscillator phase lock loop circuits that replaced the less accurate servo control circuits that used adjustable multivibrator type oscillators.

10. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

How do you clean the stock rubber mat?

11. punkmusick

It never occurred to me to clean the mat.

12. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

My mat is a little bit dirty, I don't know why, I don't wanna clean it now but I guess in the future I will need to clean it.

13. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I bought an original RGS0010 matt to have on hand if I use a cartridge shorter than 17.3mm. ..Though in perfect condition, it was kinda dirty too. I washed it using just drop of dish soap mixed with warm water and rinsed it throughly (!). ..Did the trick. I'd be careful about using anything stronger.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Dirty in what way?

If I notice dust on it, I just brush it off, or take a sticky roller-type cleaner to it if needed.

Personally, I wouldn’t put my records down on a mat I know to be dirty.

15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Most speed controllers use quartz crystals for clock generation indeed.
    However, in the last decade MEMS (micro electromechanical system) has become more and more a substitute for clock generation as it’s smaller, more accurate and less susceptible to inaccuracies due to temperature.
    Nowadays, MEMS is mostly used in portable devices because of its size and low power consumption, but slowly starts to appear in non-portable devices too.

16. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Sure, there will no doubt be a new line of MEMS phono cartridges someday soon if vinyl stays popular.

17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

:biglaugh:

18. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Did you see the new SME 6 turntable? (8K usd)

They made a DJ turntable! :D

Sorry but, a tt with linear speed control are not for DJ? :unhunh:

Ok, ironic off ... quartz lock and pitch features was really criticized by belt drive brands on the old 1200 ... now it seems that it's not that bad. Technics, I like you much more.

19. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

It seems like US dealers are holding firm on the retail price, none of the dealers I talked to would discount, but some are offering various incentives while still charging retail. Value electronics in New York (and listed on the Technics website as an authorized dealer) offers free shipping and no tax, also says its currently in stock.

dcarwin likes this.
  20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Value Electronics is terrific! It's where I bought my 1210GAE. Robert Zohn, the owner, is a wonderful guy to deal with. They ship for free AND do a great job of double boxing. They know that people who buy these tables expect them to arrive in perfect condition in perfect boxes. ..And he reached out later to check on everthing - even asking for pics of my system. ..He's a real gem in this biz. ..And I have no affiliation beyond being a happy customer.

Not to preach, but people should worry less about squeezing these retailers for a discount and more about rewarding those who treat customers well. ...Audio is a tough business. ..Let's let them make enough to survive.

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Value electronics and Robert were my go to as well for my GR. Can’t add anything else other than the guy is awesome and it’s clear he values his customers and the technics brand. There’s a reason he’s considered the #1 technics dealer in the US! (And why he gets preferential allotment).

HiFi Guy, MartyTem and Dignan2000 like this.
  22. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Anyone have any experience with one of these Sweet Vinyl devices? Thoughts? ...I realize I can remove pops/clicks using software while ripping LP to digital, but I'm not interested in that. Doing it as I listen appeals to me. If I start ripping all of my vinyl to digital, then I'll stop reading all the liner notes and studying all the album art. ..Which is precisely why I like vinyl so much.

The Sugarcubes

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  23. punkmusick

Not sure if it's the same device but some people in the forum use something similar and they report great experiences. Search for threads about it, I think you'll find good information elsewhere in the forum.

ODS123 likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

People who have them say they work seamlessly and Fremer was impressed when he heard one. Of course it means you are no longer all analogue. If you have a lot of old vinyl that suffers from damage I can see their appeal but the better solution is records in great condition and a good cleaning process. If you are used to CD and can't put up with the odd click or crackle this could be for you.

Big Blue likes this.
  25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Yes. I have one. There is a whole thread on them on this forum. It's amazing. Best bit of hifi kit I ever bought by a country mile. To my ears, completely transparent.

ODS123 and Andy Saunders like this.