The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Does anyone know by the way what the recommended torque setting is when fastening the screws of the platter? Or if there is one..?

2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It’s not in the manual AFAIK.
    I just tightened them enough so that they can’t come loose (the washers and belleville springs need to be positioned correctly to be assured of that).

So I didn’t mount them that tight, since the screws aren’t load bearing or subject to heavy vibrations.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They have locking washers so just need to tighten them till they feel tight and not force them further. Also slotted screws used so not recommended to torque them as in the case of hex bolts.

ubiknik likes this.
  4. fishtailparkas

fishtailparkas Active Member

Hi folks,

Just received my SL-1200G today.
    One thing that concerned me is that on the underside of the platter, there are these marks.
    imgur.com

[​IMG]

Is that normal?
    I know this won’t affect the sound quality, but am still worried that I might have received a substandard product.

Cheers.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I see nothing that would cause me concern.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. fishtailparkas

Sorry...let me try again

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Are there any marks on the bits you can see while it's being used?

8. Oelewapper

I only see some marks on the rubber left by the packaging.
    Is that what you mean?
    Because I think that’s normal.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I assume the markings on the center piece?
    As long as it sits flat I wouldn't be worried about those marks.

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It seems like some people may have the attitude that a manufacturer is doing us a favor by selling things to us. If I receive something that is not as advertised, I return it. I don’t see how that is at all unreasonable.

11. fishtailparkas

Just like you said I eventually looked past those marks and was happy with it,
    until...I tried to adjust the tone are height, and the whole tone arm base starts wiggling!
    I immediately consulted with a friend who has this model from 2017, and his doesn't wiggle at all!
    I couldn't help but think that QC at Technics has dropped, perhaps due to COVID?
    Anyways, I'm afraid the turntable is going back to the dealer.

Slick Willie likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That is the damping material on the underside of the platter. Likely manufacturing process marks. It's Underneath were it can't be seen so not really part of the finish and doesn't affect visuals or performance. It's hardly a faulty product is it? Bolt the platter on and you will forget it's there. Frankly I didn't even look at the underside of the platter that closely, just that it was flat and ran evenly.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  13. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

This is quite strange. On some records I get visual although inaudible rumble on the first/first to second tracks so I pulled out the Hifi News Test Producer's Cut LP to check the resonance frequency and I got around 7 Hz. This was with a SS Zephyr MIMC Star ES and a Jelco HS-25, auxiliary CW was needed. So I put the cart on the Technics headshell, set everything up and went to check again and I got around 7 Hz again. Surely with the lighter headshell the RF should have gone up, right? Or maybe the main deciding factor is actually the compliance of the cart? Also 7 Hz is not even close to the calculations, which confirms Kevin's (KAB) e-mail to me, in which he writes that the calculations are always a few Hz off. I have also once read that the resonance frequency test of this LP is not that accurate. Should I analyse the signal on the laptop?
    The TT (1200G) is isolated (Gingko Cloud 11).

14. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Forgot to add...the result is the same with or without the TD-1000 damper, which is not that surprising as this is a low compliance cart.

15. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Maybe it's not a resonance, just to check:
    - overload preamp
    - vtf
    - misaligned base

16. Oelewapper

Yes it's good to check it at least once, to confirm if the record frequencies are correct.
    Just make a recording on PC and view it in Audacity to see it. No need to haul around with scopes and such.
    I also found that the resonance frequency from the calculations don't correspond to the real life test results, however, there's a correlation.
    With the Technics headshell, the frequency should be a bit higher... Idk if the difference in weight is enough to be of any measurable significance.
    The KAB TD-1000 only damps, so it makes the resonance less powerful/lower amplitude. It doesn't change the frequency.

17. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply!

VTF is set at 2g (recommended range is 1,8-2,2), I used a digital scale. In what way would the VTF affect the RF?

What do you mean by misaligned base? I'm using a Feickert protractor by the way, Stevenson alignment.

Overload preamp?

18. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Or do you mean the rumble? I don't get it on all records. I understand some warping can lead to some rumble on the outer grooves, which I can live with. But now that I know that the RF is outside the optimal range, it bugs me.

19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The table must be perfectly flat, in a flat base. You're using a sut / headamp or a mm/mc integrated preamp?

Some incompatibility between cartridge voltage output and preamp input sensitivity can add noise in "hot" tracks or with little warps. Maybe listening with headphones (you cancel the acoustic feedback from the problem) adds more information.

20. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

The TT is perfectly levelled, checked with a bubble level at the shelf, the Gingko Cloud isolation platform and the platter of the TT.

I am using a Graham Slee Accession MC with the Enigma PSU.

21. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

Also with the stock headshell, the CW is located quite a bit further back. I might experiment with the auxiliary weights so I can see if the location of the main CW makes a difference. In any case I'm picking up a USB interface in an hour at a local guitar shop and I'll be doing some measurements.

22. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Looking at upgrading Cartidge, as above using Reson Reca and similar Goldring 1020gx. I tested my Denon 103r and not significantly better.
    Pre amp is EAR 834p with replacement SUTs - Beyer microphone transformers known to work well with Denon 103R.
    The Audio Technia ART9 keeps coming up as a good buy. Normally way over my budget but manageable.
    There seems to be questions over the Art 9 compliance and Technics arms mass - leading to a low calculated resonance of about 6-7hz.
    Yet comments from those actually using the Art9 on a 1200G seem to endorse the combination - maybe the compliance isn't as high as stated?
    Any comments from users as its a lot of money, but I think the deck deserves it.

23. CTA

CTA Well-Known Member

I've done the freq. analysis on my laptop and I'm getting 7-7,5 Hz. According to Kevin this could only happen if the claimed compliance of the cart (10cu) was measured at 100 Hz instead of 10 Hz. I've sent Soundsmith an e-mail...I am really interested in hearing their response, let's put it this way, as I had specifically asked them before the purchase if their cart was compatible with the stock Technics tonearm and they said yes, according to their tests on Technics TTs.

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Even though 7-7.5hz may be considered on the lower end, it’s still OK and for many of us here, that exact resonance point hasn’t presented any issues (my case was when I used the ATvm740ML which worked wonderfully).

are you experiencing any sonic/playback issues?

Oelewapper likes this.
  25. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

That's a pretty awesome preamp ... I have a cheaper GS mm and it's fantastic.

Ok, i only think in testing the tt with headphones on another room to check.

CTA likes this.