The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

The 1st April is the start of the Japanese financial year. So it makes sense that if the manufacturing is moving to Malaysia they would do so for a new fiscal year.

Hardcore and Oelewapper like this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I suppose you never heard about the dataleaks with MacOS Big Sur.
    Besides, I never said I specifically meant software.
    The post was about the assembly of products in China, so obviously it was about hardware.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    patient_ot likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It is unlikely that all production would move at a certain date. Not logistically possible. More likely changes would happen afer new CEO takes over, not on actual date he takes over. If this is true it is likely due to lack of capacity for the growing demand for turntables at the Japanese factory and judging by the Jelco situation might be due to an aging workforce that can't be replaced. I think it's unlikely that all TTs would move factories at a fixed date but maybe GR line first.

4. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Technics will honour the brand ... surely they are selling over the capacity in Japan. If that's the case you'll need to wait an indeterminated time for delivery or the products will begin to have higher defective rates.

So, if they apply a great quality control ... it's not a problem. What you'll buy? the other brands are zero defective units even not maded in the east?

It's not where ... it's how.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

It's kind of ridiculous to think there is something so incredibly sophisticated, delicate, and precious about the process of making these tables that it is beyond the comprehension and learning of a Malaysian workforce who have been trained by Technics.

And for what it's worth, the QC at the current production facility isn't 100% perfect. ..My table arrived with two of the feet loose and moving freely about the bottom part of the packaging. ..Luckily they are prevented by other packaging from getting above the top plinth where they could damage the finish or hit the tonearm. ..Also, the rubber base does not mesh 100% perfectly with the top plinth. ..The seam is recessed in some spots and bulges in others. It’s hard to see but easy to feel as I run my thumb along the seam. ..No one but me would notice, but it is not 100% perfect.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  6. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I was talking about Apple computers obviously, and simply mentioned how I don't have to worry about which antivirus software to install anymore.
    You called Apple products 'Chinese crap' and questioned their 'quality'. I do consider them 'quality' based on my own extensive personal experience with their products and the failures of other comparable products. There's a reason most Apple users never 'go back', it's certainly not just because they are simple minded sheep lol.

7. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Maybe that's what they are trying to fix.
    Very low defective rates (being one of the higher seller in the market) it's the way Technics goes with the older 1200s.

I trust in Technics (at least I need to see that the malaysian adventure goes wrong).

8. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

To me, it would have made sense to move the GR to Malaysia. It's the high volume model. Then keep the true premium G series and above in Japan. That would alleviate the production bottlenecks. I think they're going to regret moving the latter, assuming it's even much of a money maker for them.

9. Oelewapper

Okay so you replied to a post of mine without actually responding to its content and its context.
    Quit the trolling please.

10. Oelewapper

Agreed. The location of manufacture plays a bigger part in higher end products. The mass market generally doesn't care, but "enthusiasts" and "connoisseurs" often do care.
    Especially the $20k SL-1000R falls in that category.

11. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I agree, certainly in regard to perception of the brand.

I noticed the items missing on the list that is moving is their SE-R1 and SU-R1 reference amps, so maybe they’re continuing to make those in Japan, unless they’d been shipped off to Malaysia already.

12. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

You made 'blanket statements' about China and Apple, you knew you'd draw some attention. That would be considered 'trolling' in a thread about Technics/Japan/Malaysia. I simply gave my (opposing) opinion based on real-world personal experience.

13. Oelewapper

Of course... projection and framing...

14. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

Well I have no idea if this is internet rumor mill or actually happening. I also have no idea if the products will be better or worse coming out of Malaysia if it is true. But I do know that I've been on the fence about getting an SL-1200GR for my living room setup for months and this tread got me to finally pull the trigger! I'm very excited for this to come in, it'll be my wife's birthday present to me ;)

15. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

I think that that is a fair statement. If I was the US sales manager for technics I would be making lots of calls and visits to my top retailers to provide assurances that these decks are just as well-made as those from Japan. Maybe pictures and videos of the production facility in Malaysia to offset the perception that there’s something lesser about their facility.

Oele... I see you are from the Netherlands. Is English your first language or Dutch? Your English is impeccable! I wish I spoke a second language half as well :)

16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Europe in general have a good level of english because each country have their local language, so english is a daily basic for communication between them.

In latin america we have 2 languages: spanish and portuguese (only brazil) and also these languages are very much similar.
    So, english for us it's not a daily basic language. That means you only use English to travel, to some business, in some academy facets ... in forums :D.

But European countries have english more incorporated in their daily lifestyle.

ODS123 likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree that videos of the Malaysian assembly line showing assemble would be very beneficial.
    I would be surprised to see any though.
    Prob too much contrast between the 'hand built' process in Japan videos and the more automated (?) process used by Panasonic's Malaysian line.

Hardcore likes this.
  18. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Isn't it a bit silly to be having the good or bad move debate before any of us have got our hands on a GR or G made in the new factory? That would be interesting. Isn't the entire product too new to know it's life span, and it still reads as though folks are saying oh it won't be as good or will have a shorter life span... Does anyone here have a GR or G that has developed a fault over time? I'd be quite surprised!
    I use mine for a good few hours a day, often doing 78 transcription work which involves a lot of taking discs on and off the turntable, changin speed, removing the headshell, putting on a different headshell, all quite heavy use things really and the only thin I have to do once in a while is reposition the feet that can get knocked/move over time (mine like to be at weird angles as they're on a rubber mat on a wall shelf)
    I have now had the turntable almost a year and nothing has changed/ot worse over time.
    What I'm trying to say is this conversation might be more productive in a year or more, when at least somebody has a reason to complane about their Malaysian built deck...

19. Oelewapper

Lol thanks, English is my tertiary language, but most things on the web and things like software, articles, documentation, music, movies, etc are in English.
    So I'm fine when it comes to reading, listening and writing in English, but speaking and especially pronunciation of English is a bit of an issue.

Exactly.
    I even speak/write English to Germans, while the German borders are only 30km away from where I live! :p
    German conjugations are way too complicated...

ODS123 and patient_ot like this.
  20. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

YES! Well said!

@Slick Willie
    For years I worked for a German car company. We expanded production for a particular carline by adding a new plant in Mexico. The assembly lines were absolutely identical. Whatever was done by hand in Germany was done by hand in Mexico. Whatever was automated in Germany was automated in Mexico. In fact, a worker could be taken from one factory and placed in the other and be immediately familiar and able to complete their tasks. I very much expect that will be the case with these as well.

aroney, Gabe Walters and patient_ot like this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I could swear such a video exists for the Malaysian plant, and by all recollections, it looked super clean, precise, and very well managed. I am not an expert in manufacturing plants don't get me wrong, but this said video showed a plant in Malaysia that by my novice eye looked fantastic

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Here ya go:

Nearly 40,000 Macs infected by mysterious malware, researchers say

Nowadays bad actors don't even have to worry about what OS you use. Loads of people fall for scams everyday, especially phishing. Weak passwords and data breaches also present vulnerabilities no matter what OS or hardware you use.

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wonder if anyone in this thread has ever dealt with anyone from Malaysia?

To the second point, that exactly how manufacturing at scale should work.

24. Oelewapper

There’s also an “intentional” data leak which leaks personal information to Apple.
    The leak is built into the API, so it can’t be bypassed.
    Apple promised they won’t sell the information to third parties, but it’s just a matter of time until their database gets hacked (every database is breached eventually, since a 100% secure database does not exist) or the government “impounds” the information for “national safety”.
    MacOS Big Sur is spying on everything you do and sending the data to Apple

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While I hope you're right, not really an apples comparison.

And is the purpose to duplicate the lengthy costly current procedure or to increase the efficiency/speed of production?