The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

That takes all of a minute on a 1200.

2. Which is fine you're the only one touching the thing...

Hardcore likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I agree, I switch between cartridges regularly.
    It's one of the reasons I find that detachable headshells are an important feature on a turntable.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I do as well. I have one for recording and one for DJ use. I do wish cartridge manufacturers took this into account when designing stylus protectors, the one on my Nagaoka is an accident waiting to happen!

If switching between two headshells is something you’re planning to do regularly it’s worth making a note of the difference between the two so you can instantly change the counterweight between the correct settings without having to go through the balancing process every time.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Big Blue and Oelewapper like this.
  5. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I still love my SL1200GR :D

6. Oelewapper

I just wrote down the settings for each cartridge.
    You'll get the hang of it, once you've done rebalancing a few times.
    I always check using a VTF scale though.

Big Blue, patient_ot and Hardcore like this.
  7. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

That's what we were doing before. I had my VPI Scout 1.1 that I would use when I was home visiting, and my mom had her Technics SL-1300 that she used when I was away. She didn't like my unipivot tonearm, and she was afraid of my expensive cart. Finally she said, "I'm tired of using this turntable, it doesn't sound nearly as good as yours". So we decided to sell both and go halvsies on the 1200g, and I will swap out my headshell when I leave so that she can continue using it when I'm gone. Also looking forward to the potential to swap in a mono cartridge as we have about 200 mono records here.

More personal info than I was hoping to share, but it seems like the questions were getting a bit judgey.

8. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Anyone with a GR or G, since the stock headshell azimuth is adjustable via a small screw does Technics include the small flat head tool needed to adjust it?

9. Ingenieur

Mine's not adjustable? GR
    You do have a little play in the locking collar, but iirc that's it.
    Is it in the manual?

10. Oelewapper

It's the screw on the bottom of the black part, near the SME connector.
    I think it's actually meant for assembly, so using it as azimuth adjustment is function creeping, but apparently it works for some folks.

[​IMG]

11. Ingenieur

Ok, I see it, I thought it's just a locking screw.
    Need a jewelers screwdriver.

Oelewapper likes this.
  12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip on the satin black. I’m usually not to picky, but the silver paddle does look out of place on the 1210GAE. Kevin recommended a wide tip magic marker. I think the spray pint will give better coverage.

snorker likes this.
  13. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Don't adjust the azimuth with the stock headshell. It should be fine from the factory.

I say this because adjustment is by a grub screw which digs into a soft aluminium collar. Once an indent in the collar is made, it will always return to the same indent, making small corrections impossible. A proper headshell with azimuth adjustment will have a split outer collar which tightens on a centre core, thus allowing infiinite adjustment.

Rafao, Dignan2000, formu_la and 2 others like this.
  14. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

It's great to have a tonearm with a detatchable headshell. However I try not to change too frequently as I feel repeated releasing and tightening of the locking collar puts strain on the arm bearings, no matter how much you protect the arm from the rotational forces.

15. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, don’t bother messing the the adjustment on the headshell.
    There is enough slack when tightening the head shell to get the azimuth correct.

16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What's the name of the group? Want to see the post.

17. Ingenieur

Nice
    Is there an indent/dimple the set screw recesses into?

Oelewapper likes this.
  18. Oelewapper

Correct. That's why I assumed that it's meant for assembly, not azimuth adjustment.

Big Blue, formu_la and Ingenieur like this.
  19. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Technics Turntables

Hartmut Rottweiler asked a question and a dude named Shane Bradley answered and talks about his poor Malaysian made GR.

20. Ingenieur

Yep
    Just a set screw to fasten head shell to arm.

21. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

The grub screw could be used for azimuth adjustment if it is just nipped up. Mine had been hamfistedly overtightened at about 5 degrees off verical. It rendered the headshell unuseable so it went in the bin long ago.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I also don’t think it’s true. McDonald’s menus vary around the world, and I would imagine Big Macs may be different in some countries...

formu_la likes this.
  23. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

yeah... I'd like to see pictures before I'll believe it. ..EVERY one of these turntables - like any consumer product - is going to have fit/finish imperfections. ..And now that Technics has moved production to Malaysia, it's predictable these imperfections will be attributed to this.

I'll dig up pictures of my Japan-built 1210GR (now gone - sold) and see if I can find a stray mark, an imperfect silkscreened letter, etc... You can always find something.

24. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

I got bored and had a few seconds:

"Hartmut Rottweiler: Hi all, I own a SL1210 MK2 and am thinking to get a newer one additionally. When I got the chance to see a MK7 I was a bit disappointed from the haptic of the start button. How is the 1200 GR in comparison to the MK2 or MK7?"

"Shane Brandley: I bought a GR yesterday and not very happy , I have a M5g also which have been using for hifi use only . The gr are also made in Malaysia as I seen it on the boxes so I asked for a jap built which they had in a warehouse .. The start button on the gr is wobbly compared to the M5g , also the pick up lever needs attention. Too much hype over the GR decks in my opinion"

I have a Japanese made GR and it does not have a "wobbly" start button. :laugh:

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So he asked for a Japan made they had in the warehouse but got the Malaysian? Is there a photo of the GR back showing Malaysia?