The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Yea, not sure how it's implemented since they don't really spec it, but that is what Stereophile measured. Presumably it goes right into a A/D stage, so may not really matter, and may be menu options to adjust it digitally, I've never used one.

2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

no, no options to set gain on the brooklyn for the MM mode- your only control for the phono preamp is MM or MC mode, nothing else. We'll see how it goes, 1:10 should be fine if I need to use that. . . .and if not I'll just move ahead with buying a separate phono preamp a little sooner than I'd planned, NBD

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

It has more
    The host with the most: Mytek Digital's Brooklyn | Darko.Audio

A follow up email exchange with Mytek tech support revealed the internal phono board’s gain as fixed at 69.1db for MM cartridges and 86.
    5 for MC

4. Davey

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

Supposedly that is directly from the manufacturer?

please point me to the actual measurements.

6. Davey

Like I said, Stereophile ...

When I set the analog input to MM Phono, the input impedance was close to 47k ohms across the audioband, the output was still inverted, and the gain at 1kHz was now 55.6dB—on the high side for moving-magnet cartridges. Even so, the overload margin was very good, at 16.5dB at low and middle frequencies, dropping slightly to 13.6dB at 20kHz; the wideband, unweighted signal/noise ratio was also excellent, at 72.5dB ref. 1kHz at 5mV.
    Mytek HiFi Brooklyn D/A processor–headphone amplifier Measurements

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

Thanks

I think I see the difference?
    Stereophile bypassed to line, ie, did not use the preamps 13.5 dB of gain.

Turning to the Brooklyn's analog input set to Line, this offered unity gain at the RCA output jacks

8. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Yeah, I thought that was possible too. It’s tough to know without someone taking them apart since Technics really doesn’t say. We’re all just making various levels of educated guesses here.
    Oh yeah, right. I forgot about the extra Mk7 adjustments. So, they’re all different. Works for me. I didn’t get really far into the comparisons because once I decided the 1500C wasn’t for me, I just upped my budget enough to get the GR.

9. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

Looks like Technics updated their website and now only shows one online retailer called samash, interesting

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  10. It's interesting.
    Looks like the other online resellers were engaged in a campaign of misinformation because they were losing the line.

11. harby

harby Forum Resident

The 1500C, 1200GR, and 1200 MK7 have a different coreless motor than the 1200G. It is a PCB-based stator, similar to Technics former midrange turntables, technology previously positioned below the core-wound SL-1200 MKII or SL-Q3:

[​IMG]

However, they all seem to be three-phase, while Technics previously had two-phase motors also.

The 1200GR advertises its DAC lookup table sine wave generator, while this feature is not on the 1500C page.

While 1500C doesn't have quartz lock, instead the reference voltages controlling the frequency generator are microprocessor controlled, and the turntable will recalibrate the RPM, wow-n-flutter, start-up force, presumably based on the CPUs frequency.

Going up from 1500C - 1200GR - 1200G you get more platter, more layers of damping.

The 1500C phono preamp, why I am posting here, seems rather competent. It is based on a single NJM2068dd low-noise binned op-amp used as phono in many high-end Japanese receivers, which has quite low noise that can't be improved by dual eq stages, and can be made +/- 0.1dB RIAA 40-20kHz.

Powered by the large supply +12V/-12V rails, which immediately helps it outclass wall-wart preamps - plus no external phono cable to pick up noise or for the user to mis-specify. They didn't cheap out on capacitors and output buffering.

[​IMG]

Get me a better picture so I can make my own instead of paying $102 for this board! ( JK - I expect it is the quite standard design I've already got in the receiver next to me, here with components all on one side.)

(PS this op-amp is counterfeited by China when you go looking to buy...)

Gabe Walters and riverrat like this.
  12. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Cables.
    Been playing with a RCA cables as turntable, interconnect is getting induced noise from power amp. I can't move T/T or Power Amp.
    Moving cable around varies the interference so I am more interested in how well screened the cable is, but quality is important as ART 9xa is only 0.2mv
    Tried a Pro-ject Connect It E which was bad on suppression. I Don't think the original technics will do either. Ideally 1m to 1.2m and will use separate earth lead so normal RCA leads are fine
    So many manufacturer don't state the shielding. Not going to go mad on spend but looking at solid recommendations that you have used or using.

13. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Try Mogami 2964.
    I recently tried those.
    There used to be a very low amount of hum coming from my TT, which was only audible on very high volume levels while no music was playing.
    But it's dead quiet now that I've installed the Mogami wires.

bru87tr likes this.
  14. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

There was a big list of vendors including some very reputable retailers so this is surprising. One thing I did notice a lot of these places websites say the 1200g/gr tables were in stock to lock in your order then later would say to expect shipping in June. Not a fan of business practices like that.

formu_la likes this.
  15. Ingenieur

Not sure about shielding but the oem cable that came with mine was very good C wise:
    Blue Jeans LC1, 3' <40 pF
    OEM 6', < 80 pF

16. Ingenieur

Nice
    I'd like to see the bottom of the stator connection PCB

Oelewapper likes this.
  17. harby

harby Forum Resident

That's pretty darn low and clearly deliberate. The lowest RCA I've come across by happenstance after recently running my dozens on the C meter are Acoustic Research digital coax RCAs at 6ft 112pF and one no-name component video at 100pF. 6.5ft Monster Cable component video at 119pF (while their normal audio cables double or triple that).

6ft of RG6 Quad shield without connectors is 97pF.

Shocking is the composite + RCA audio cables that came with Dish Network boxes. The audio RCAs were 900+pF. I stripped them off and binned them, and made stereo cables out the yellow video.

18. Ingenieur

Measured them with my Fluke after zeroing it.
    I was surprised by the oem, not the LC1 since that is their stated spec.

19. Ingenieur

Just measured oem again
    Fluctuates 0.08-0.09 nF or 80-90 pF
    Min 0.06 nF
    Max 0.10
    Avg 0.08

I was wrong about the L, 5' not 6'

20. JP

JP Forum Resident

No need for a rotational angle sensor on a turntable motor. I know the G(AE) and 10R have no such thing.

21. Sluggs

Sluggs Well-Known Member

Technics 1200G:
    I have had one on order from a reputable dealer for 3 months. They keep telling me that technics is way backed up and are offering me their display model for $800 less. Thoughts? Anyone know where to get a new one soon?/now?
    thanks

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

Personally I would take the display model in a blink.

23. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

[​IMG]
    If so, what do the “hall elements for rotor position detection”?

24. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

[​IMG]Untitled by poetryonplastic, on Flickr

We're in business folks. Shout out to HiFi Heaven for the quick and easy snag. They still have one 1200G floor model left if anyone else was searching for one.
    Running the Denon 103 on the stock headshell for now, but I'm also going to mount my Dynavector 20x2L on an Ortofon LH-9000 later on. Replaced the stock power cord with a Shunyata V14, and keeping the same Nordost/VPI Weisline tonearm cable as I was running with the VPI Scout. Platter mat is the Funk Firm Achromat 5mm. Man this thing sounds good.

25. JP

JP Forum Resident

Detect position for commutation. Full angle detection can do that too, but it's beyond overkill.

Oelewapper likes this.