The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

My GR platter is dead level, but the rubber mat isn't! Watching it with the mat on suggests the platter has issues, but it's perfectly flat. Mat appears to be thicker in a couple of spots.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  2. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

That's disappointing to hear snorker. On a 4K table, there should not be visible imperfections like a warped platter. That's totally unacceptable in my opinion. If that was even the case with my GR, I'd be pissed if Technics didn't right it.

3. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I observed the same with my GR, now 9 months old. This warping thing seems to be a recent problem.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  4. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

Hello, I just tested my new copy of GR. It's a little better than the first one I had but it's still not absolutely perfect. Having analyzed the videos of several others, I think that absolutely perfect platters does not exist for this model or for the G where the variations are even more important. Even in Technics videos, we can notice a very light platter wobble at 2:26

So I was able to test 3 GR of 3 different series of shops and none is absolutely perfect (now, it was not like the last video or there is clearly a problem)

I think it is useless to argue over it any longer ... because everyone will see a slight oscillation anyway. This is part of the inherent construction of his models. Personally, I kept it because it's a treat to have a turntable like that without any engine noise. I will post a video but actually, there will always be a 1mm oscillation.

bluemooze and classicrocker like this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I think you’re right, though it’s the top planarity of the platter that matters, not the side. A full mm would be excessive. 1/4 or so of a mm...probably ok.

I’m pretty sure I can see some variance in the platter in the comparison Michael Fremer did as well, though the angle isn’t great.

It is what it is folks. The thing otherwise looks great and sounds perfect, so I’m fine with it at this point. It won’t impact the resale anyway if I were to trade it back to the dealer for another turntable down the line.

For anybody thinking about buying a G or GR, I certainly wouldn’t let this deter you. Listen to the video above in comparison to a $100k-plus turntable and tonearm.

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

And he left the cover on and up!:)
    And on the dot blemishes you see...I too find that I get blemishes from my fingers as I can't help but touch the dots as I put on the LP's due to the angle of the platter's edge....oh well....

7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Which is kind of a overshoot, as the problem are the hinges, not the entire lid. Also shipping is much more costly in comparison. Go figure.

8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Ha, you’re right! Didn’t notice the lid was up...that’s a way to add a ton of unwanted resonance! Always have the lid down, or at least off. Up like that is acting like an antennae.

9. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

They did the right thing with the lids. If I buy a brand new 4k TT, I don't want to be doing DIY repairs on it. Replacing the hinges requires torquing the screws just right. It would not take much to crack the lid.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Its Japan. They will save face! I bet they fix it.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That’s not platter wobbly, you’re seeing the imperfect edge of a record.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  12. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Unfortunately part of saving face can involve not admitting your mistakes. So I wouldn't be so sure...

13. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Maybe so but if they do we will never know as they will never tell the public.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

For anyone else that is planning on going to axpona, make sure to stop by the technics room to share this issue! I plan on doing so for sure. Last year all the top execs were there for the US branch.

Slick Willie likes this.
  15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The risk of cracking is high(er?) with shipping also. Can't see how screwing the hinges is more complicated than screwing the platter, which is a must for the tt to operate.

16. sniperfox

New GR; What do you think ?

I am a big maniac. It's better than the first and the second that I could test. I do not want to test a fourth ... I'm tired. I think to keep it.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

That looks much better than the other ones. Acceptable imho.

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Really hard for me to detect if there is any wobble or that the dot rows are just not cast 100% horizontal.
    Looks acceptable to me.

19. sniperfox

I think to keep it because apart from that, this turntable is really a jewel.There is no competition ... I had a LP120 audio technica that makes a big noise engine ... Here it is just silence. That's great. I also recently tested the new audio technica LPW40 only released in Europe.I tested it on my youtube channel but it is not an audiophile turntable even if it is she has carbon arm.
    here is the link if you are interested (but in french) :

20. sniperfox

A officiel new Technics rubber cost 25 euros....hier

Technics RGS0008 Platine Tapis Caoutchouc pour Sl-1200 Sl-1210 Original /NEUF | eBay

you can order it here. I bought two for old turntable. It's perfect !

21. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

It would not be within my tolerance either. I'm a retired machinist and used to tool-up and set old circa 1950s capstan lathes for batch work and could maintain tolerances tighter than .28mm. For low number work on centre lathes it was often necessary to machine face components to within .10mm, plus turn and bore diameters to within .050mm. If I was incapable of doing so then I would have had to look for another job. Sorry, but I just can't understand how Technics is having a problem machining a platter to well under .28mm. Not only that but they claim it's within their accepted tolerance, so they must be talking about something like .30mm! o_Oand all this with state of the art CNC machinery not the antiquated lathes that I had to work with! Rant over! :)

I can only think that the fault lies elsewhere, possibly to do with laminating the brass plate as others have suggested.

bever70 likes this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Looks about like mine. :shrug:

23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

My 1200G looks like that.

24. sniperfox

I'm glad I did not have a distorted platter. Now, I wonder what will the MK7 give in June ... Finally to buy a G or a Gr, the best is to test it in store and can be buy an exhibition model. This avoids at least the returns. But hey, I do not know any store that exposes Technics turntables ... It's so rare and expensive now.

25. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

One more thing...It is important to determine that it is truly the top of the platter that is warped, and not simply the strobe dots showing it. It is not uncommon – even on the old 1200 – for the strobe dots to move up and down, while the top of the platter remains relatively uniform.

Your video has every view but one that would actually show the top. You need to view straight across the top of the platter to a fixed point, like the tonearm arm rest. Then you can see if the gap between the top of the platter and the bottom of the arm rest is opening and closing, or remaining constant.

That’s what they’re measuring with the run-out gauge: the flatness of the top. So while it may be true we see a lot of variance in the side of the platter in these various videos, it’s not clear that there’s a lot of variance on the top where it actually matters.

recstar24 and punkmusick like this.