The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

I dont understand how take the video? Have you a exemple YouTube video?

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

No video, but the top of the platter is what matters on the subject of warpage. The camera would need to be on the same plane as the top surface of the platter with a fixed point in the background for referance.

sniperfox likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Well, the dial gage makes it pretty easy, but anyone can check with pretty good accuracy just by setting up some kind of reference point above the platter, similar to the dial gauge tip, just a piece of bent wire would do the trick, could probably even use your tonearm with an old cartridge too if you had some way to control the vertical position. A standard piece of printer paper is about 0.004" thick, or 0.1mm, so just adjust the spacing of the wire when you find the lowest point on the platter with one sheet and try it. If it hits the wire, use two sheets, etc., until it clears at high point, and that is your runout amount.

bever70 and BayouTiger like this.
  4. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I may just buy one now to try to corroborate Panasonic’s claim that it measured .28mm. That would be very telling...

Of course, it would be interesting to know how much variance there needs to be before they actually reject one in the manufacturing process!

5. Davey

I thought your original concern was that you could push down on the edge of the platter and it deflected quite a bit, almost like the motor mount was compliant or something? Is that what you sent it in to check, or was it always a platter runout concern?

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, it was both. Both supposedly fine, according to Panasonic. I think I’m going
    to buy a gauge to check the platter at least, since they gave me a measurement. Looks like they have some on Amazon for under $40.

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Bought this gauge on Amazon for $35, so let’s see if I can verify Panasonic’s measurement.

bluemooze and 5-String like this.
  8. Davey

You're a dedicated owner, gotta hand it to you. Maybe you could start a dial gauge mail exchange around the board and check them all :)

McLover and snorker like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

McLover and Davey like this.
  10. Davey

If you do verify the reading, you could probably even reduce it a bit by using thin paper washer(s) between the platter and the post(s) on the low side, provided it's a gradual wave and not a sharp dip.

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Exactly what I theorize in my previous post, except I'd, in addition, try fitting/dropping the platter in many different positions, so a different, if possible, contact can be made between the platter and the spindle:
    Now, in regard to snorker's case, the KAB post reminded me of something I previously noticed but missed to comment: snorker's platter IS rocking when pressed! How can a G/GAE platter rock when it has those 3 screws that fix it to the motor, unlike the GR where I can understand the rocking? That's confusing. Maybe with the G/GAE the problem is the motor's top plate fit to the spindle, not the platter fit. It is not marked on this picture, but you get the idea, it's the top part.
    [​IMG]

Back to GR...Just as experiment, I'd try winding a bit of teflon band (the one used to seal water tap valves) around the spindle where the platter fits and see if a steadier rotation will be achieved.

p.s. KAB says:
    I'd ask him - HOW? Although he says such tts were rejected, he suggests fixing, so maybe he has more to tell.

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Thanks for the analysis.I agree that with the GAE/G that movement is different than the spindle to platter fit issue KAB references, as you noted. That top part sits tight to the shaft, so there’s no movement there. I think the platter can “rock” just a tiny bit because you can pull up on the shaft/spindle with the platter off...this must be by design. It doesn’t seem to move at all when it’s spinning. I’d really have to dissect the whole motor to see. I’d love to let KAB tear one apart, but I don’t want to experiment on my unit and void the warranty!

13. sniperfox

I went back to see my seller. He told me that it was useless to keep it if this problem caused me and I was not completely satisfied. He also finds that it is not normal for a new product. This turntable is beautiful but not finished. If Technics had communicated saying that this wobble, ondulation is normal and tolerated, I could still admit but say nothing. What annoys me the most is that they know how to present turntable without any wobble in showrooms, but that's not the case for sale. I am frustrated and pissed at both seeing such a beautiful thing spoiled by misconceptions. I do not think to test another copy of GR because in my opinion, most copies must be like that I think I buy the MK7 in June to see if that's always the case. In addition, its price will be less (even if I'm not a DJ) I do not know where you live, but in the European countries, we are lucky to have a law that obliges every seller to reimburse the consumer for his good if he brings it back within 15 days ... In short, still a refund. See you next, for another video from Technics, hoping it will be good ...

bever70 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  14. sniperfox

Unboxing for the MK7

Lucca90, bru87tr and punkmusick like this.
  15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Nice, I'm gonna share this in the MK7 thread.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So I cracked open my 1210GR today. I’ve been really waiting for my Nagaoka MP-200 to arrive to get everything set up, but this cart is stuck on the proverbial slow boat from Japan.

As I reminder, I’m the goofball who already has a 1200GAE, but caved for a 1210GR from Guitar Center when got a 20% off coupon + another $50 off. Who can resist a sale?? Most likely I will pass this along to one of my kids in a few years :)

Yeah, I could mount/move a spare cart on here to give it a sound quality review, but I think I’ll wait until later. Just some unboxing impressions for now: this is a beauty! Sure, there is a bit more plastic (feet, arm) compared to the GAE, but this is still a very solid deck. The dust cover is pure clear vs. a slightly smoked color on the GAE.

The platter is dead flat. Can’t even tell it is spinning, save for the platter dots moving. The attention to detail in the packaging is just as good as the GAE and gives me the impression that so much care was put into the craftsmanship of it all.

Is the GR the analog bargain of the decade? Listening test for me will decide, but anyone looking to step up to a <$2000 (new) deck could surely do worse.

Robert C, McLover, recstar24 and 7 others like this.
  17. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Nice to hear Sam. Good if you are able to do a proper real-time comparison between the two types with one headshell/cart into the same cabling & phono.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'll see what I can do :)

[​IMG]

McLover, 5-String, Drewan77 and 3 others like this.
  19. punkmusick

Beautiful

SamS likes this.
  20. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Ilovefooty likes this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It was very interesting to read the comparison between the 1000R and the Clearaudio Innovation Wood.
    What the reviewer said about these two turntables with Clearaudio being more fluid with dynamics and resolving a little more detail while the Technics having more focus and sounding punchier reflects my own comparison between the 1200G and my Clearaudio Ovation.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    snorker likes this.
  22. punkmusick

The comparison please!

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Definitely won't be before the weekend.

TarnishedEars and punkmusick like this.
  24. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Gives you a little variety!

Of course, there are different tonearms on each, so it’s not totally apples-to-apples. I wonder how the Technics would compare with the KAB fluid damper (which would also fit on the SL-1000R). It really took my G to another level, giving it deeper bass response and even blacker backgrounds with slightly greater high frequency extension. Without it the bass sounds slightly warmed-over by comparison. Ymmv.

TarnishedEars and 5-String like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Definitely.
    I have been thinking myself about the KAB damper. All the reviews that I have read point out to being a significant improvement. I will try it eventually but for now, I enjoy my new AT ART9 that I got yesterday. It sounds fabulous on the 1200G.

snorker and TarnishedEars like this.