The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Malarkey

Malarkey Well-Known Member

Art K likes this.
  2. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I have not seen any recent complaints about that issue. Old news.

recstar24 likes this.
  3. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Instead of obsessing over a few hundred dollar savings on the GR, think instead about what other TT's can you buy at $1600 (full retail price of GR) that compare favorably? ..Precisely 0. ..They don't feel nearly as robustly built (cue arm being the only poss. exception) AND - except for the Harpin knockoffs - they aren't DD.

Besides, these businesses deserve to make a profit. Adding add'l markup over MSRP is a no no, but charging MSRP? ..Fine by me.

Ingenieur likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It could buy you a nice addition to your cartridge collection. Worth obsessing over IMO.
    None, because other manufacturers use even bigger profit margins on their decks.
    If a glass is half empty, it’s really… half empty.

They do, otherwise they wouldn’t sell it at a discount unless it’s some marketing trick.
    A business only making losses isn’t called a business, it’s called a failure.

Big Blue likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No takers probably because they make no difference?

6. I was just curious.
    There is another company from Italy that's making them.
    Maybe for my 1200 mk2. (KAB) is 10 miles from me, I can see Kevin anytime.
    Both of my units are dead quite, so I really see no reason for the upgrade.

7. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

8. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Figured I would check here where some technics enthusiasts run amuck, any good threads or sources of info on the sp10 mkII? Possibly have a trade in the works, talking specifics after the weekend, want to make sure I’m as well informed as I can be, in particular what to look out for. Cheers!

9. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Probably not the best but I have used a Osawa 301 on a 1200 mk7.

Its an MI with nude elliptical at a reasonable price from tHakker.
    I've read its a forerunner to Nagaoka.

Not the last word in resolution but nice dynamic full tone with no IGD as I hear it.
    Its so much better than a 2M Red at roughly similar price.

10. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Thanks for replying. I decided my post might divert the thread too much so I deleted it and and created a new thread. Realizing some folks might not be interested in a lengthy discussion of vintage carts. If you could delete and post over there that would be great. TY.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  11. Oelewapper

You can delete posts within a certain time frame, it's a button at the bottom right next to the edit button.
    A window will pop up asking you for a reason of deletion.

punkmusick likes this.
  12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

And you can leave that window empty if you prefer.

13. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I’m giving my GR the Funk Firm treatment. I’ve been using the APM mat and love what it brings. Just added the Bo!ng feet, another improvement. On the way is the Houdini and Cobra.

14. Pmds55889397

I know Houdini, is Cobra "just" the headshell ?

15. Paul2K

Paul2K Forum Resident

Danmar likes this.
  16. Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  17. Paul2K

Paul2K Forum Resident

Thanks, i live in germany best price is 450€ here, better than 395 pounds plus customs(!)
    Will keep you guys updated when i ordered the HS !! Cheers

PS: The well known Korf ceramic is also a strong candidate for half price, hmm…

Danmar likes this.
  18. See if they price match.

19. Pmds55889397

What clever marketing can do to us..

Here I was, discussing with myself if I should cash out $90-100 on a Jelco headshell :p

bjlefebvre likes this.
  20. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Yes.

21. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Has anyone upgraded the power supply to an external unit? If so was it worth it?
    I have the 1200G with 100v power supply (Japanese) plugged into a transformer. can that be modded?

22. Oelewapper

I don't have the external PSU, but the internal one has it's own separate enclosure within the enclosure of the turntable, so there's no reason to get an outboard one, since it's electrically the same thing.

Big Blue, Technocentral and keiron99 like this.
  23. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

Why would you think upgrading the power supply would make any difference? I understand with turntables there is nothing externally powered in the signal path (from the cartridge through the analog out jacks). The supplied power from the cord just turns the motor for platter (and powers the lights too of course).

Mind you that I'm not someone who thinks power cords and power supplies don't make a difference. My experience is they do (when they power the signal path in some way). Like for example, I have external power supply for my phono pre-amp and it makes a very noticeable sonic improvement. My phono pre-amp (Pro-Ject DS3 B) came with a cheap 'wall-wart' power supply, making it a good thing to get an external power supply with and with its own much higher quality cables too.

Oelewapper likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

The idea is that a PSU could emit noise that could be picked up by the cartridge, which is common with cheap turntables (the dreadful hum).
    Especially LOMC that need a lot of amplification are sensitive to noise.
    However, the PSU inside the 1200G has it's own enclosure, so there's no way it could interfere.
    There's no big transformer, so it can't produce any mechanical vibrations either.

25. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

How is the motor not in the signal path? Any deviations in speed can be heard as pitch variations, and smaller irregularities that aren't directly heard as pitch changes are often thought to give the sound an unnatural quality, similar to how clock jitter affects the analog conversion in a DAC.

Oliver Meyer and ubiknik like this.