The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

That is not a MIJ vs. MIM issue; it's a GAE vs. GR issue.

I have a MIJ 1210GAE that also has an imperfect seam b/w the plinth and rubber base. ..In fact, if you look close enough you'll see this is true of nearly EVERY 12X0GAE. ..You don't see it on the GR b/c the base is a different material - it's a harder material that is more uniform in fit and color. A softer rubber was chosen for the GAE's b/c it's better at dampening vibrations. Whether it's an audible difference (or merely measureable), who knows.. The GR is a an awesome table, I had one for a year before buying my 1210GAE.

I suspect what's happening with GAE's is when they assemble them they slightly over torque the screws securing the plinth to the base causing the top edge of the rubber base to flex outward a tiny bit - forming a less than perfect seam b/w base and plinth. If I was sufficiently motivated I could probably loosen the screws (from underneath - so would have to flip table over) and reposition it so the seam would be perfect. ..But it's not worth the effort. As for the whitish film some have found on their GAE base, mine had this too but is now perfect after a few passes w/ a damp microfiber cloth.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

Had you considered that it might sound better with the heavy elastic base decoupled from the chassis?

3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Have to comment on this shelf setup again, just love it.

I do have a set of Isonoe on my KAB SL-1200MkII (currently in one of my daughter's rooms) but I suspect the soft parts could use refreshing. Been about 15 years.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

If you go back through this thread, you’ll see there were examples of even made in Japan models having platter wobble.

Big Blue likes this.
  5. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Yes but traces of glue around the brass disc it was too much. And this thread showed us hand made turntable factory in japan in the original machinery since 1979.
    3500-4000 euros for that ok but not for a TT made in a basic new factory...
    For example, I have a Mc275 and if it hadn't been made in the USA, I wouldn't have bought it.

6. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I'm curious what you think the factory in Malaysia looks like. Do you think it's some wood shack, with holes in the walls, and leaky pipes everywhere? If I had to guess, it probably looks just like the one in Japan. Again, there were problems with made in Japan models too. It's not isolated to just Malaysia-made models.

7. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

I do see a couple of trees though :)

PS: the picture on their site is so large, lol.

[​IMG]

jeffreybh and punkmusick like this.
  8. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Technics should have made a video showing the new facility. I spoke to a Panasonic rep that gave me a bunch of details about the factory. Panasonic made a huge effort and moved staff from Japan to oversee production and to train staff. It does sound like the new facility is top notch, but the Made in Japan thing was a huge part of their marketing. There was a big uproar in Japan when Panasonic moved production. Japanese bloggers were damning in the condemnation of the brand. I'm glad to see that they managed to pull the move off successfully but the transition was badly handled.

I do think it was a successful move. Had I known about it, I would have waited a year before getting a 1200G. If only for them to get any kinks out of their process. I don't like being an early adapter, even more so when I don't know it's happening.

9. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

It's "help me make a decision" time. You have $500 of my money to spend, which of the following do you make:

- Darlington MP-7*
    - Ortofon 2M Bronze
    - Nagaoga MP-200
    - Wharfedale Denton 80
    - Audio Technica 540ML or 740ML
    - Denon 103 or Denon 103R or Denon 110
    - Do none of these and save up for a bigger speaker/cartridge/preamp upgrade

*I actually had an order in for one but got hit with a surprise medical bill so had to cancel, still planning to get one eventually, thinking if we get a bonus in March that's what I'll do.

this_machine likes this.
  10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Do none of those, keep saving.
    Impulsivity results in disappointment.

Big Blue, The Dragon and this_machine like this.
  11. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

If you want to buy something in the near-term, I'd stretch a bit into the Audio Technica MC line (like an OC9XML). If you're OK waiting and saving, I'd look into speakers.

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Do you need a cart?

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

@ngower The above is good advice. Although if that is simply too much to spend, another worthy MC cartridge to seriously consider for less money than the OC9 is the AT33PTG/II. I'd buy either of these over anything listed in your short-list.

this_machine likes this.
  14. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Idk about US stores, but the PTG/II tends to be ever so slightly more expensive than the XML in Europe.

15. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Responding to all the above posts at once:

My current pre (CA Alva Duo) limits what I can do with MC carts so an MM/SUT or phono with loading is required to really play nice with MC carts. So the PTG/II is out of reach at present. That's the appeal of something like the Darlington--it is an improvement to my current phono that is one step closer to tinkering with MC carts.

The 540/740 are appealing as they give me insight into the AT signature sound (in preparation for an AT MC), while also providing a better tracker over my 2M Blue (simply in terms of stylus profile, not getting into any other comparisons here).

It seems like money's probably better spent further down the road so I'll hold off on these changes for the time being.

this_machine likes this.
  16. this_machine

I'm not sure if you need variable loading or gain to jump into an MC with a typical output range.

17. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Most of the AT carts recommend a load of more than 100 ohms. It'd be an expensive experiment to buy something like the aforementioned 33PTG only to get some god awful hum or something.

this_machine likes this.
  18. this_machine

The Duo has MC setting of 100 Ohms of input impedance and 60dB gain (pretty typical), so I think it would work OK. I'd be surprised if someone on the board hasn't tried this combo. given the popularity of both products.

19. Tsubaki Sanjuro

Tsubaki Sanjuro Forum Resident

When I see these rants, I wonder if these people have any familiarity with Malaysia. Their cities are more high tech than our capitols in the west!

[​IMG]

The Asian Tiger countries haven’t been underdeveloped backwaters in decades. The funny thing is this guy’s imagined conception of Malaysia would probably accurately describe much of 60s/70s Japan…

20. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Of course not ! To be understood, even if my G came from France, i will returned it.
    SL must come from Japan as Rolex from switzerland, Porsche from Deutschland, McIntoch from US etc…

haz2000 likes this.
  21. Tsubaki Sanjuro

Tsubaki Sanjuro Forum Resident

How do you feel about the fact that many high end German cars are built at Magna-Steyr’s Austrian facilities?

22. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I honestly don't have a problem with this. I get the argument that what matters as far as quality and sound production is the quality of the build, and if the build in Malaysia is just as good then it doesn't matter, but I also get wanting one made in Japan just for the sake of it. It's like getting a 1st pressing of an album vs. a repress because it's cool to know it was one of the first copies to come out. The mastering might be the same, but it's just kind of neat to know you have one from the very first batch.

Big Blue, Fender Relic and ubiknik like this.
  23. At least one Porsche model is made in the Czech Republic

Tsubaki Sanjuro likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Problem is having a phono stage were I can do pretty instant changes from the front panel AT MC cartridges like 400 ohm though I got good sound with a cheaper Rega Fono on 200 ohm setting. If I was going for fixed MC would look for around 350 ohm though some cartridges work best at 50 ohms or less.

25. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

My 2023 Apple Mac M1 Mini - doing duty as my music server - was made in Malaysia. Fit/ finish is flawless. And it's a far more complex device than a Technics TT.

It's small-minded ignorance, plain and simple, that accounts for these MIJ is better than MIM comments.