The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

To me, it looks like it's a combination of all.
    Dots, platter itself, mat and record... hard to tell, from a video.
    But TBH, I have to admit, the more you look at it, the more wobble it gets :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Classicrock and bru87tr like this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Anyway maybe below expectations for a £3K deck. I wish people could find flat records for these videos. Most aren't warped as you might believe from reading this forum.

Big Blue, recstar24 and Oelewapper like this.
  3. FulanoM

FulanoM New Member

Hi guys,

Proud new owner of a SL-1210gr and first time poster in the forums. This turntable is an amazing piece of equipment, especially when comparing with my previous Rega Planar 3.

Although I have been reading lots of different threads on phono stages, I would like you owners to recommend me which would be a great match for this turntable.

As I said, I come from a Planar 3 paired with a Pro-ject DS2 that does not perform properly. Before buying the Technics I upgraded the Elys2 cartridge to a AT33-PTG2 but I guess this preamp could not resolve properly the signal of this MC cartridge.

Last night I tried the Technics with an Ortofon 2M Black that I bought with it and got the same feeling of lack of dynamics and stage, even though is a MM cartridge.

To sum up, I would be using two cartridges with the Technics: AT33PTG2 in MC and Ortofon 2M Black in MM. My main system is a Naim Uniti Nova paired with PMC Twenty 5.23 speakers.

I am considering options in the 1-2k price range (euros) and unfortunately I don’t have the possibility of trying them at a dealer. These are some options:
    -Lehmann audio black cube SE II
    -Lehmann audio black cube decade
    -Cyrus phono signature

Many thanks in advance for your feedback :)

4. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

It's just the dots, if you look at the very bottom of the machined part of the platter it doesn't go up and down.

I think this whole think has been blown out of proportion. Yes, there are some warped platters but not as many as people think.

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

GR owners...

I noticed tonight my cover looks uneven in the back. Closer look I can see the right side in the back (tonearm side) the mount is higher than the left side. Because of that there is a lot more space between the plinth and cover than the left side which is close to touching.

Can anyone confirm if this is how it is suppose to be ? If not I hope I can adjust it to be correct. But maybe cause of the tonearm this was purposely done.

Can't imagine but who knows, right ?

6. Oelewapper

Probably means it's in need of adjustment. The height on the back should be the same as the height of the black rubbers that stick out near the front corners.

bru87tr likes this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you can adjust by loosening the screws and re-tightening. i adjusted the cover on mine because it wasn't making completely even contact on all sides when i closed it.

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Thanks guys!

Glad it can be adjusted easy enough.

9. Oelewapper

I have an SPL Phonos preamp with my 1200G and 2M Black. It’s neutral sounding, just like the turntable, so it fits very well IMO. It has selectable input capacitance for MM and input resistance for MC. It also has three levels of aplification to switch between studio level and consumer levels.
    Unfortunately, no balanced output.
    Its within your given pricerange: ~€1600

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well after an aborted attempt buying the 1210GR last year, I was able to make a great deal on one today from a company I do business with and it will be here Thursday. Initially, I am going to install an AT450 universal mount cart on it. I have a couple of spares for my Technics SL-QL1 linear table and they are very good cartridges in my system with my records.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    recstar24, MikeK and Andrew Littleboy like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Isn’t that a P-mount cartridge...?
    I mean, how’s that supposed to fit on an SME socket?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  12. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

It's a universal mount with an adapter included.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

Ah I didn't know about adapters for that.

14. Snorbitz

Snorbitz Well-Known Member

Well make that three, and what about the possible hundreds of owners who do have dodgy platters but don't come to forums like this! The silent majority as they say.

I have two SL-1200G tables, one looks perfect without noticeable wobble and the other does have a slight noticeable wobble so something isn't right in the manufacturing of these units.

I'm going to buy one of those gauges but do they scratch the lovely brass plate because from the videos I cringe at the sound of the scraping metal-on-metal from the friction of the gauge on the surface.

15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Stick a piece of blue painters tape on there. Should last a while before it rubs through.

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

They have a little ball end so it sounds worse than it is, but if I were to try it again I’d put a piece of tape on it like @mkane suggested. The top of the platter had almost no deviation even though it appeared it did from the side. Incidentally, when I measured with the platter mat installed it was about perfect. This is much ado about nothing after all the hand-wringing (and I was involved with it, so I should know).

recstar24 likes this.
  17. Snorbitz

Snorbitz Well-Known Member

Something tells me Technics most probably are looking into this as more reports come to their attention but we'll just never know about it and if it is a problem they can resolve it will no doubt be done stealthily.

18. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

I'm thinking of buying the SL-1200gr. Would using it with a Benz Micro ACE S L be a good match? I will be using the phono on the Yamaha A-S2100.

Not sure which version: Low 0,4mV Medium 0,8mV High 2,5mV

Specifications:
    - Output Voltage (3.54 Cm/sec): 2.5 (ACE SH), .8 (ACE SM), .4 (ACE SL)
    - Stylus Shape: Micro Ridge
    - Internal Ohms: 90 (ACE SH), 24 (ACE SM), 12 (ACE SL)
    - Loading Range: >1,000 (ACE SH), >240 (ACE SM), >120 (ACE SL)
    - Weight: 8.8 grams
    - Compliance: 14 (ACE SH), 14 (ACE SM), 15 (ACE SL)
    - Tracking: 1.6 – 1.9 grams

19. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

The Benz Micro Ace/Glider/Wood cartridges work just about perfect on any of the low to medium mass tonearms in my experience. I have one on my ~9g Clearaudio arm, and also on my ~14g Micro Seiki arm, and have used them successfully on heavier arms too.

The output voltage is rated at 3.54cm/sec, so the SL rating of 0.4 mV is closer to 0.6 mV at the more customary 5cm/sec rating these days, and is a good match with most of the modern MC phono preamps with 55-60dB gain (usually best to stay on the low side for best overload margin). If your preamp can handle the low output version without issues, that would be the best choice. Generally go for around 500 ohms load if you have a choice.

20. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

here's some specs for the integrated amp if that helps:

Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe) = 160 W + 160 W
    High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) = 105/135/190/220 W
    Damping Factor = 250
    Frequency Response = 5 Hz-100 kHz (+0 dB/-3 dB)
    Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz) = 0.025%
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD) = 103 dB (S: 200 mV)
    RIAA Equalization Deviation = 20 Hz-20 kHz +/-0.5 dB
    Input Sensitivity (CD) = 200mV/47k ohms

"
    Discretely configured phono amp
    [​IMG]
    The phono amp is comprised of an MC head amp and an equaliser amp, each of which are discretely configured

21. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Doesn't help me, but I'm not sure if there's a question implied in there. Are you asking if the Benz cartridge would be a good match for the phono amp pictured? If so, we would need more information, or at least I would.

22. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

sorry i havent got the amp yet so im not sure how to get hold of the info about that you may need.

23. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

When Technics Uk came over and measured my SL1200G’s platter they didn’t have it rotating. They put a piece of A4 on the platter, then rotated it and took measurements at various stationary intervals.

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

punkmusick and Slayne like this.
  25. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

still dont know what to look for in the yamaha a-s1200 built in phono to see if it's a good match with a cartridge.

PHONO MM (1 khz, 0.5% THD) 50 mVrms
    PHONO MC (1 khz, 0.5% THD) 2.2 mVmrs

is it that info? i have no idea.

the benz cart got 3 different models. so i assume i cant just buy any of them. so i would need to know which one.