"The Three Stooges"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

as long as it's Curly. Shemp just makes you miss Curly more than no Stooges at all IMO

2. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

"Sappy Pappies" was sad for a Three Stooges, what with the dead baby and the Stooges being executed and all.

MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I dig it, but for me, a good Bowery Boys movie is always a picker-upper.

4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Have always been a fan. There's another good thread here:

Three Stooges butchered on AMC

Finally got the "Hey Moe, Hey Dad!" box set and watched the first disc. Good stuff! And it comes with tons of collectibles.

Here's another great site, Letters From Moe

Letters From Moe

He ended up going to visit Moe at his home in the early 70's.

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Shorts? They hardly wore shorts. They usually wore suits, sometimes dresses.

That said, Lucille Ball was in the pigskin episode. Que your Curly teeth chattering.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I just noticed that Amazon Prime has colorized episodes streaming. The colorization makes the films look even older, somehow. At least they don't appear to be edited, but I'll stick to the DVDs in B&W.

ricks likes this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Those are the episodes that ended up in the public domain. Wise to stay with the original black & white’s.

8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Also notable as the only film in which the Stooges sing the barbershop song "You'll Never Know Just What Tears Are" all the way through.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wow that is great. The Kayfabe of the Stooges.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

love the stooges, but only in small doses......2 maybe 3 episodes at a time is enough for me.

O Don Piano likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Always been a fan.
    Watched this last night:

Recently uploaded, it's the A&E biography on them.
    Looks very dated, but still has a lot about their beginnings and their career that is worthwhile.
    If your interested into the story behind the them, you might enjoy it like I did.

Duke Fame likes this.
  13. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Any Stooges fan remembers the Press, Press, Pull routine that they used in at least a couple of their shows.
    I could swear there was a version where it shows them in the restroom pulling the buttons off the fixtures, but the two examples that I was able to find don't show that. Am I misremembering, or does anyone else recall the same thing?

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Dahabenzapple, Dave112, ricks and 2 others like this.
  15. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Soitenly!

Samuel (Shemp) was a successful character actor in other films and shorts ( "The Bank Dick" for one ). He was as stated previously the original 3rd stooge with Ted Healy and his Stooges. I read that he couldn't handle Ted Healy slapping him around plus nefarious dealings with money and quit to go solo, Jerome (Curley) was brought into the act by Moses (Moe), shortly after the boys left Ted Healy and went on their own as well. The Curley shorts pushed them over the top. Shemp only returned after Jerome's massive stroke which left him unable to speak. A lot of the Shemp episodes were originally done with Curley, then edited with Shemp doing the Curley routines. No disparagement on Shemp, but Curley is the Stooge who made them enormously famous.
    The 3 Horowitz brothers only appeared in one short together, it was after Jerome's stroke. Curley plays a passenger on a train if my memory serves. I cannot recall the name of the short. I'm sure one of you can. Especially if you have the DVD's.
    Back in the late 70's early 80's a local TV station ( channel 45 ) would air them in the morning at 7:00 am. Me and my roomate would wake up, hit the bong and laugh our asses off to start each day. Better than coffee, and always put me in the perfect frame of mind for work. In the 60's they were broadcast every week day right around the time school let out. I probably watched them every day during that time. I recall being very sad when Larry passed away.

Christine McIntyre was my first crush, but I had feelings for Senorita Cucharacha as well.

MikeInFla and ricks like this.
  16. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

That's one of the ones that I found, and it doesn't show what I thought I was remembering.

17. ricks

ricks Senior Member

"Hold That Lion" - A somewhat weak short overall but historic!

I'm also a big early Shemp fan of his first 2 years after re-joining the act. Not going to get into a childish argument of who was "better" as I like both comedians. But yeah quality during the remaining years of the Shemp era overall was pretty low, however it was all heading that way anyhow regardless of the aging on-screen talent involved. Drastically Lower budgets, faster filming time to accommodate the lower budgets, recycled scripts and footage again due to lower budget....

I did a first year (semester) college paper on the Stooges and did rather well :) Specifically it was regarding comedy techniques they employed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Born in 1958, Mom always said I watched from my highchair and laughed and kicked and had a large time.
    In the mid 70s my buddies and I enjoyed their antics while getting high on pot.
    2000 or so AMC broadcast shorts early Saturday and Sunday mornings, so I began taping to build my own library.
    2007 the first DVD set was announced and I couldn't believe not only were they in chronological order, but had been restored to what looked to my eyes like HD !
    Over the next two years I bought the first 5 volumes, as I'm a Curly man, no Shemp please.
    2021 - I watched a few shorts just the other day. I still found myself laughing out loud !

19. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

palisantrancho, Steve Baker and ricks like this.
  20. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

Here is a video of Moe Howard offering his account on the birth of the 3 Stooges and their history on the Mike Douglas Show.

My own love for the 3 Stooges started pre-school in Philly where Sally Starr hosted the local show on WFIL-6. We then moved to NJ closer to NYC and Officer Joe Bolton hosted a similar show on WPIX-11. I remember being excited when The Outlaws is Coming was coming out in the theaters and both local hosts would be in the film with small roles. My parents would not take me to the theater to see it but I lucked out a year later, when my grammar school hosted the film on a Saturday afternoon for fifty cents and I went then. It did not hurt that Adam West co-starred in it and his Batman TV series had just exploded then.

So many great shorts, I also bought the Ultimate DVD Collection for $29.99 at Best Buy. I grew up with so many of the Stooges sayings and moves that were shared by my cousins and friends from "BI- Bickey Bye" to "Wake up and go to sleep" along with the eye poke block and the Curly spin around on the floor running.

Dave112 and MikeInFla like this.
  21. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I remember when they were apparently banned for a while on NY TV. Then a local art cinema started showcasing Stooge mini-marathons. The place was full of alternative smoke and laughter.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  22. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

How could anyone not love Curly/Jerome? Such a sweetie! :love:

I'm not much of a fan but there were some genuinely funny lines sometimes... love that one where Larry reacts to a toupee on the end of a violin bow as "tarantula!" and they all commence stomping it into the ground. :laugh:

I saw some really early ones with that fourth tall straight bully guy and it gives you a perspective on how they perfected their act after over time after that.

23. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I remember that sequence but not what event they were trying to get into, nor the name of the episode.

24. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Three Little Beers, where they were beer delivery guys who trying to get into a country club to practice for a company golf tournament.
    Even As IOU, where they were trying to avoid paying admission to a racetrack where they were hoping to gamble the small amount of money that they had.

I can find those episodes online, but neither one has the scene showing them in the washroom pulling the Press and Pull buttons off the fixtures like I could have sworn I saw years ago. I thought I remembered seeing Moe and Larry grab the Press buttons off a couple of faucets, or something, and then a befuddled Curly was left with only a Pull button from some other piece of hardware.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

They definitely show the buttons in episodes. Not sure about acquiring them.