The ultimate Led Zeppelin thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.R, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Personally I think John Paul Jones has the best post Zep collection taken as a whole. The 2 solo albums, Them Crooked Vultures & the Diamanda Gales album super high points.

2. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

In my opinion, Jimmy has missed a number of prime opportunities to make Coda altogether more worthwhile (imho);

1) Didn't include either 'Sugar Mama' or the utterly sublime 'Hey, Hey, What Can I Do' on it's initial 1982 release.

2) Didn't remix or expand the (non-deluxe) standalone album in 2015 by adding the four bonus tracks from 1993 plus the three complete (ie, not alternate mixes of existing tracks or instrumental outtakes) 'new' tracks given official releases for the first time; namely the aforementioned 'Sugar Mama', 'Key to the Highway'/'Trouble in Mind', and 'Friends (Bombay Orchestra)'... that's fifteen tracks, a double album's worth of material... and a pretty decent one at that, alas...

It's also a real shame that Percy consistently vetoed the chronological live album that Jimmy wanted to put together for nearly two decades... that would have been a BEAST of a set, even though there wouldn't have been anything from '77...

3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Appetite is so overrated there are no words.

4. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Oh, come on. “Sweet Child” is pure poetry!

Ok, back to Zep.

“Tangerine” is pure poetry!

5. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Well, there's a thread on here for Fantasy Football, so here's my attempt at Fantasy Zep.....

if they were to play an imaginary show (where they covered all eras, and Page was on an "on" night), what would be my idea of an ideal setlist?
    Mine would be

Early days
    Dazed
    SIBLY
    Communication Breakdown
    Heartbreaker
    Bring it on Home
    Whole Lotta Love
    No Quarter
    Black Dog

Acoustic section
    Bron yr aur
    Tangerine
    Gallows Pole
    Going to California

Latter days
    Custard Pie
    The Rover
    Kashmir
    Achilles Last Stand
    In the Evening
    Royal Orleans
    Ten Years Gone
    Sick Again

Rereading this post it makes me realise how bloody difficult it must have been to agree on a setlist in the later days; what on earth do you leave out?

Billy_Sunday and Liquid77 like this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

The melody is lifted not that Zep of all bands were always original but what made Sweet Child legendary wasn't just the lyrics.

7. Overthehillsandfaraway

I'm intrigued. I've watched enough of those "this song sounds like that song" YouTube vids, but I've never seen "Sweet Child" accused. What's it lifted from?

8. J.R

J.R Active Member Thread Starter

Very good question. I'm huge Zeppelin fan, but my favourite song of all time is Moonlight in Samosa from Percys solo debut, Pictures at Eleven.
    Imho, the best Zeppelin song they never wrote.
    Also Ship of Fools from Now and Zen. Pure Magic. But for albums wise:
    1. Honeydrippers - Volume One
    2. Robert Plant - Pictures at Eleven
    3. John Baldwin - Thunderthief

9. J.R

J.R Active Member Thread Starter

Owww, this brings memories... The movie were nowhere to find, as I was searching for it. My first VHS copy (still have it) that an friend copied for me is dated back to 1993. It was my grail then, because the Soundtrack was my first LP, and I always wanted to see them live, but never got the opportunity.
    I would never forget that day as I throw the first glimpse on that movie. Magic.
    Now still, with every edition of "The Song Remains the Same" in my collection, it's always a special tingle when I put it on or in a player.

Billy_Sunday and GoodKitty like this.
  10. Overthehillsandfaraway

Since this is "The Ultimate Zep thread", I thought I'd post a couple of pics proving what great picture Zeppelin gave..

Tampa 1977
    [​IMG]

Detroit 1977
    [​IMG]

The Ocean
    [​IMG]

Back when there wasn't so much space on stage....
    [​IMG]

11. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

Never had the chance to see them live unfortunately, but LZ is one of my all time favourite bands. To this day I love the thrill of putting on the first album cranked all the way up and marvelling at Good Times Bad Times - the way Jimmy attacks that guitar solo is one of the all time great moments in rock music.

12. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

At some point one summer during high school, we went to the midnight showing of TSRTS every week for the whole summer....hahaha

13. Price.pittsburgh

Zeppelin was the greatest at powerful moving moments in a song. Either vocally or musically.

14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Lovely smile. Although I think she still had milk teeth at that stage...:sigh:

15. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Comments like this are the reason I post here. So hilariously funny.

Stormrider77, DML71 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  16. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

The first one cannot be Tampa 1977 as Jimmy wore the white pants and jacket. Plus, they only played three songs before the concert ended due to rain.

17. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

18. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Blessed is my oldest sister for bringing the band into my focus by the end of the 80s. Was in my late teens, she lived in another city and always had a great music taste from growing up in the 60s and 70s. We switched mixtapes on a regular basis. Before then I'd only known Stairway and Whole Lotta Love, to my utter shame. :D Then she came and put Kashmir as first song on her latest tape... well to have been blown away might be the understatement of the year. From there I had to work my way back of course.

I'll never forget the first time I spun IV on my cheap cd system. Battle and Levee were on a level I could not (and still can't) wrap my head around. How could humans make such divine greatness, and how come I never have heard it once on the radio before? Says everything about German radio in the 80s I tell you. ;)

In 1990 I bought the complete crop-box-set, happy as never before. And it was a huge amount of money for me still being in school getting my diploma.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Billy_Sunday and Giorgio like this.
  19. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

20. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

One band I regret never seeing live.

I had tickets for a show at MSG NYC, I believe it was 2/12/75 but I lived an hour from NYC and it snowed that day and I could not get into the city. I was back in college for the 1977 tour so was broke so no concerts for me.

Regarding GNR I don't know I would put them on the level of the 1969 Zep but I did see them at the Ritz and L'Amour clubs in 1987 before they broke big and they were some of the best live shows I ever saw. The Appetite band was a monster IMHO. They never reached that summit again for me with Izzy and Adler checking out on the Illusion albums and bloated stage show tours of 1991-93. Such unfulfilled promise.

phonograph and Billy_Sunday like this.
  21. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I apologize if this has been discussed in the massive amount of threads and posts within each, but this is in regards to the 2014-2015 2-CD reissues. I bought the first four at the time of their release (I live in the US). All four came in those ghastly cardboard pocket scratch-o-matic covers, and each one had a 16-page booklet with photos. There was a sticker on the front of each stating it was a 2-CD set, and the back had a clear sticker on the shrinkwrap with the song titles (barely readable). The fine print said "Printed in the USA."

In the past week, I decided to pick up four more: Houses of the Holy, Presence, Physical Graffiti and In Through the Out Door. I bought them from a US dealer on ebay. All were factory sealed, and when they arrived, I noticed the front and back stickers were now directly printed on the covers and more noticeably, they were in digipaks with plastic trays, which I greatly prefer as they protect the discs. The fine print said, "Printed in the EU." The US-based dealer on ebay said nothing about these being Euro import editions.

But...

Upon opening all four, I was stunned to find none had any booklet. On the inside front cover, Houses of the Holy had a little bit of info about the remastering credits and where the live tracks were from, but nothing like the two full pages of remastering and photo credits etc. the first four had in their 16-page booklets. And the other three had virtually NO info on the covers other than songwriters and a few words describing what the extra tracks were (demo, early take etc.). And Physical Graffiti was two discs, not three as I've read elsewhere, with the bonus tracks split up and tacked on to each of the two discs after the original studio tracks.

So what is the deal? Is this the way they originally came out in Europe, or is this a 2nd pressing where they changed the packaging from the cardboard pocket sleeves with full booklets to digipaks with plastic trays and no booklets or information? I'm really torn here because the perfect version — for me — would be with the plastic trays, AND the booklets. I don't know if they were released that way in any country, but can someone explain what these plastic tray/no booklet versions are, and if they were originally released like the first four I have, with the cardboard pocket covers and booklets? I can't believe Led Zeppelin CDs would be out of print in the US, but what would I get if I ordered a new copy of the US editions on Amazon? I'm debating returning these and getting them in the same format as the first four, despite my dislike of the cardboard pockets, because I would like the booklets with all the photos and full credits. Thanks for your patience and any info.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  22. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I had a bootleg of this show (I think)! I remember Robert Plant talking to the audience about the snow, how people were wondering "if the gig was still on" and that the weather "changes the vibe of the city". Shame about the snow preventing you from going - this was a good one.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Thanks scoots, yeah I was really disappointed back then and never got the chance to see them again.

There is indeed an excellent audience recording as well as one of the best Led Zep SB recordings available for that show titled "Flying Circus". I listen to it often and imagined what it must have been like that snowy night.

24. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I have my own answer to my post #121 above. After looking on Discogs and matching up the catalog numbers, all four of these are Russian counterfeits. I'm not happy about this, and stunned that the dealer based in NY has a 99.8% feedback rating. I called ebay to confirm these are not allowed, and have written the dealer and asked to return them, with them paying the postage.

25. nicktf

nicktf Forum Resident

This one by Australian Crawl

Now back to Zeppelin. Best guitar tone? I love "Out on the Tiles"