The Ultrasonic vinyl cleaner owners thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Josquin des Prez, Mar 4, 2019.

1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

So... One more tip that might help DIYers. I've been using the Spin-Clean towels to dry off the records after a clean rinse in the Spin-Clean, after the US. Every now and then I'd throw the towels in the wash with minimal detergent and dry w/o a fabric softener as recommended. Well, after 656 records in I just noticed a some suds in the washing machine after a towel wash. I thought, hmm... Let me run the rinse again. After the water filled I noticed there were still suds!!! I'd been drying the towels w/o properly rinsing them. I don't know how may records were affected but one of them is now noticeably less noisy after giving it a new clean rinse. So.. be sure your towels, if you use them, are properly rinsed before using and use a minimal amount of detergent if you wash them by themselves. Right when I thought I had the process completely down...

2. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I would not use a towel to dry off a record. That can so easily introduce debris to the record surface. Why don't you just let them air dry?

Classicrock, Ctiger2 and 4-2-7 like this.
  3. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I use Spin-Clean drying cloths to get the main water off then air dry for 15 minutes. The cloth was chosen by Spin-Clean for the purpose of drying records so I trust them. I've never had a problem with them.

How long do you let your records air dry?

This is my process and why I towel dry to help with the air dry:

1. 6 records in the US for 15 minutes. Between 50 - 70 records a batch. No filter. 5 caps of Spin-Clean cleaner fluid in 6L (1.5 gallon) US bath.
    2. Final rinse in the Spin-Clean to rinse off the US water on the record.
    3. Lay the record on one Spin-Clean cloth and dry the upward facing side off with the other Spin-Clean cloth. Flip the record and dry the other side.
    4. Place record in the drying rack.
    5. Repeat. While I clean the next 6, the previous 6 sit in the rack

So after the towel dry, they get another 15 minutes to air dry.

4. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

20 minutes with a small fan.

matrix-6 likes this.
  5. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I've been thinking of picking up some TergiKleen for problem records. Anyone try it yet?

6. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Bump on the TergiKleen/Tergitol. I was thinking of trying it for problem records but I'm worried about contaminating my Spin-Clean brushes. I currently clean with Spin-Clean fluid in the US and use the Spin-Clean basin with 0 TDS filtered water for the rinse. Over time I have to of course rinse it all out and start clean again. Do I risk tergitol contamination after x # of rinsed records? What happens if any is left on the record? Will it damage it over time? Will it damage the stylus?

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Something worth considering for those air drying. I've been running batches anywhere between 50 and 100 records. The US water, Spin-Clean rinse water, and towels start at 0 TDS. When the US basin hits 2 - 3 TDS I dump the water and start over. This usually ranges between 50 - 100 records depending on new vs/ used in the batch. What's interesting is the Spin-Clean rinse water will still be at 0 TDS, but when I rinse out the towels in about 1 liter of 0 TDS water the water will range anywhere from 7 TDS up to 14 or 17 TDS. That tells me the towels are picking something up off of the recently cleaned and rinsed records that would air dry on them otherwise.

8. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

So... anyone test how many dBs their US puts out? I just tested mine and it puts out about 124 dB within three to four feet or so. I'm hearing US cleaners are safe yet I also found the following online:

"The louder the sound, the less time it takes for the damage to take place. In fact, for every 10 decibels, the intensity of the sound goes up 10 times. At 85 decibels, the maximum recommended exposure time is 8 hours. But by 100 decibels, the exposure limit drops to 15 minutes, and at 10 decibels more (110 dB), the exposure time plummets to just one minute. Exposure to sounds any longer than that could result in permanent hearing loss."​

Thoughts?

9. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I always use earlugs when I'm around it. Wouldn't think of doing it without them.

10. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I'm noticing the high frequencies quite a bit more after cleaning. I'm hoping I didn't do any damage to my ears. I usually flip it on and walk away so I wasn't overly exposed except when coming back to bag records while the last batch was running. The sound didn't irritate me at all so I never bothered with ear protection. Ugh.. Maybe I ultrasonically cleaned my ears. I swear the small tinnitus I had before is gone and things just sound clearer/cleaner - sounds are more separate. But I'm not used to the highs... It's almost like I notice more sibilance. It might be that I'm suffering from tunnel vision and just overly focusing on it, or I'm picking records that were just mixed with more. My first impression was, wow things sound better! But then it started to get annoying, like some of the warmth is gone. Like I CD-fied things. I pinpointed it down to the sibilant sounds... Fortunately I'm only noticing it listening to music and not other things.

11. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

After a bit more listening I'm pretty sure it's just what I'm listening to and focusing in on. Things are just cleaner and more transparent now. Some recordings that should be noticeably sibilant are not, so that tells me it's not my hearing or the cleaning. It's just the original recording/mastering on the records I'm zeroing in on. Apologies for the false alarm...

12. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

An update for those interested. The culprit turned out to be balloons. Yes, balloons. My wife put up a banner and balloons above our speakers for my birthday. I took down the balloons and the sibilance diminished. So yes, the room, and even the smallest things in them, make a difference. That said, I'm still going to use ear plugs whenever I turn the US on. I checked the instructions that came with it and there is zero warning about potential hearing damage so there is that...

There was also some psychoacoustics going on where focusing in on the slight difference in sibilance I was hearing made it more pronounced.

13. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

I might have spoken too soon. I started a separate thread on this here: A Warning for DIY Ultrasonic Cleaners

14. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw Well-Known Member

Hi all, looking into all of this, and read the entire thread, and have watched some vids online. Getting ready to take the plunge so to speak. I have previously used the SpinClean process, and was not happy with my results. I live in a dry area (high desert transitioning into dry intermountain alpine) and static is an issue. In fact, I need to get a Zerostat (another discussion, different thread). But I was finding I had more popping on some records after the SpinClean than before. So now, the SpinClean will be something I use first before US on really dirty records, as that makes sense to me, and based on @eflatminor 's experience. I have a second SpinClean type device (Studebaker brand) that I might use as simply a rinse. Haven't decided. Will come back to that. Also, after watching a guy from the vinyl community channel (First Pressing Goodness?, I think he has at least read here, and maybe is a member?) and his unboxing and initial use, then some further demonstration of the Vinyl Stack unit. All things considered, and considering my handiness or lack of handiness, I figure I am going that route. Again, with perhaps a SpinClean cycle before hand for really dirty records, and maybe a rinse after. Going to reply to a couple quotes I collected while reading the thread, and then have some questions after.

Over the last year, I have been just getting back into vinyl. I have a small collection from my kid and college/post college years. The kid stuff largely is either really dirty, or has some scratches. Will find out. I didn't even get to spin cleaning those yet. My wife also has some dirty, but collectible, earlier stuff from the Beatles, Carole King, etc. that I hope to bring back to life. My college records, largely jazz and alternative rock, are all in pretty darned good shape, but can use a clean. I used to just use and antistatic type brush each play, but was very careful with my records, and often recorded them to my favorite Maxell tapes to preserve them. I have slowly been adding to that collection with some older records, and some new stuff as I go. I have found that things that are rated VG typically have more noise than I want, even if the seller claims that have been cleaned via US or etc. Some of those are the ones where I was not satisfied with my own SpinClean work. I use either my vintage Kenwood KD-550 table or my old Technics SL-1600, both of which have Pickering XV-15 cartridges/styli, good original condition confirmed by microscope. I had a Grado Prestige, but I prefer the Pickering sound, which to me is more revealing, but also less tolerant.

Yep. Thanks for confirming that thought I had

I am considering adding this sort of filter, but have not decided. With the extra rinse, either via SpinClean or via a spray down with distilled water, not sure it is necessary for my smaller batch cleaning sessions I anticipate with fresh fluid.

As said, I think this is the way for me to go. I like the confirmation on the labels. Based on the vid I watched, it looked well built, easy to use, and to me, worth the extra dough rather than spending more time trying to build something myself that likely won't end up being as good. I intend on getting the 4 record per clean unit and get the larger 10L US tub. I figure when I get my lazy butt actually cleaning, I better go ahead and move as many records as I can. ;)

Ok, questions. First, fluid. The guy on the vid uses Tergikleen. I will have some left over SpinClean fluid, unless I save that to use on the more beat up earlier records I have, or obtain. Was thinking I would make some fluid and include some PhotoFlow. I did not see a good fluid recipe. Anyone have one?

Second, temp? was thinking 40c as it shows on the videos I find.

Next, rinse. I could use the SpinClean/Studebaker, but don't want to introduce static. Those of use that do this, I presume you leave the brushes out and just use the distilled or de-ionized water? We have very clean, snow and mountain spring fed water from our own spring, and we filter, but there are definitely minerals. Way more than when I lived in Western WA. I have to clean my coffee pot out with vinegar and water each month, and we get deposits on our water fixtures. I am not using my own tap water. The other method I was considering instead of the SpinClean was using a spray bottle with clean distilled water, and spraying a rinse on over the sink. Not sure which is better.

Finally, drying. Was thinking a light pat dry by laying the album down on a clean record cloth or clean lint free cloth and laying another down on top and lightly patting, then racking. Or maybe, I could just have a supply of record specific drying cloths and lay the record down, and then flip it, without patting, just so excess moisture is absorbed before racking. I had also considered using the raised Vinyl Stack and a fan of some sort, then rack drying. Thoughts? Again, I think it is best if I touch the records very little, and I don't want to introduce static.

Thanks!

Steve
    Hailey, Idaho

PS, I have just a touch of light tinnitus sometimes, so will be using some earplugs with these things. As I do when mowing the lawn, etc. At this age, I am attempting to preserve everything I have with regard to hearing. Although once in a while I do listen to some loud music for relatively short periods. I do wear earplugs at concerts. Looking forward to going back to concerts.

Levi's Tubs likes this.
  15. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

16. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I use a 3-step cleaning process, but my ultrasonic tank is my second step. In it, I use a formula of Triton X-100 along with Hepastat 256, Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water (similar to the Library of Congress formulation) - and it works great.

Smart to use heat as warm liquid cleans more effectively that room temp liquid. Probably depends on the unit, but with my tank I try to keep it below 32c as there is warping (especially with standard weight vinyl) at any temp above that.

I use two Spin-Clean units as "rinse" cycles with distilled water only in each. I leave the brushes in when performing the rinse cycles as a further "scrub" for the vinyl and to get the water down deep into those grooves.

I pat dry with lint-free towels between Spin-Clean rinses. My final step is L'Art du Son applied with a brush and then vacuum dry on my VPI 16.5. The only time I have had any issues with static is during dry winter months - but a humidifier solved all that. I use the humidifier maybe five months out of the year.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    latheofheaven and sunvalleylaw like this.
  17. sunvalleylaw

Hey, thanks a lot for those answers! I feel like I am narrowing down on the method I want to try as my starting point. When you say your ultrasonic tank is your second step, may I ask what is your first step?

18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Sure...

1. Liquid clean/dry on my VPI 16.5 using a "new" cleaner that is still in development. I used to use Down With Dirty from Audio Intelligent...but as a beta tester for this "new" cleaner, I have found it works better and is cheaper, so I am sticking with it. I then rinse in Spin-Clean #1

2. Ultrasonic tank as mentioned prior. I then rinse in Spin-Clean #2

3. LDS liquid clean/dry on my VPI 16.5.

I pretty much only spin my vinyl to rip it to digital. So during step #3, I clean side A, record it and then clean side B record it...and then store the record.

sunvalleylaw likes this.
  19. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

User proper ear protection if you go the DIY route. I didn't and my hearing was shot for a month. See this thread for details: A Warning for DIY Ultrasonic Cleaners

Levi's Tubs and sunvalleylaw like this.
  20. sunvalleylaw

I did see that and took note as I added in the edit at the end of my post. I am glad to hear that your hearing was only really messed up for a month and that apparently it has come back! I intend on using hearing protection when I use the ultrasonic machine. I think I will use the vinyl stack device along with the typical ultrasonic tubs that you buy for DIY solutions. So I have taken note.

matrix-6 likes this.
  21. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I'll likely never use my US again. It was a ton of work and only made a difference with some noticeably bad, used, older vinyl. I buy mainly new and NM to M vinyl so I find I don't need to clean them much. If I notice anything, I give a clean rinse with the Spin Clean. If I still notice something I'll give it a clean with the Spin Clean fluid followed by a clean rinse. That said, the US didn't damage any of my records and it did clean them from what I can tell. :) As for my hearing, it is back 100% from what I can tell. My guess is the ultrasonic and sonic frequencies shook up the fluids in my ear canal and it took a month for it all to settle back again. But who knows... I'm just glad it wasn't permanent. Scared the crap out of me. Imagine the sinking feeling that you screwed up your hearing actually trying to improve your listening experience. Never again. My non US cleaned records I've purchased since sound just as good as my US cleaned records so it's not worth it for me.

RE the Spin Clean, make it a two step process. Once with the cleaning fluid and then w/o to get it all off. It's the residue that's causing the crackle.

22. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident

two words: Audio Desk.

Ventoux and Josquin des Prez like this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken! Thread Starter

In addition to my Audio Desk, I'm now also using a Kirmuss for troublesome discs that can use more intense restoration. It has restored some records pretty well, where the AD wasn't getting it done. However, the Kirmuss is time consuming and a PITA to use, so I don't use it for routine cleaning at all.

24. Ventoux

Ventoux Forum Resident

My method as well.
    Does a great job, easy, fast. Removes static & you never have to touch the grooves with a cloth.

Dave Calarco likes this.
  25. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

One word: Degritter