The Wallflowers - Bringing Down The Horse turns 20 this year!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by heatherly, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What a brilliant album this is, even though I didn't appreciate the band (I was 8) until the release of the followup (Breach). But this album surely brought Roots Rock back into the mainstream if just for a few years.

Shame that they didn't keep up the momentum sales wise as their records have always been strong, they're my favorite band to come out of the 90's by far .

Any other fans of this great band & album?

c-eling and Laibach like this.
  2. heatherly

3. heatherly

4. heatherly

5. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

"One headlight" might be my favourite song of the entire 1990s -I'm hoping they release some sort of anniversary edition hopefully on vinyl LP just like they've been doing lately with other albums from the period (Son Volt, Harvey Danger..) Also a new album of new music from Jakob Dylan would be great to see and hear.

PhantomStranger and heatherly like this.
  6. heatherly

Jakob is getting ready to release an album of 60's covers called Echo In The Canyon along with a documentary.

the first song released as a duet with Cat Power.
    Jakob Dylan, Beck, Fiona Apple and more collaborate to pay tribute to 60's Cali bands. »

Mr. E. Tramp, Alex D. and Laibach like this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

A terrific album, pretty much from top to bottom. I got to see them open for The Who not too long after this. Seems like last week.

theMess and heatherly like this.
  8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Where oh where did the time go!? :)

heatherly likes this.
  9. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

It has been a good album then and still is now. The lineup changes surely did hurt the band's momentum. But then, there are not many bands who stay together for prolongued periods of time. Even during the recording of "Bringing Down the Horse", guitarist Michael Ward was still just a hired studio musician. Drummer Mario Calire just played with them on tour, as on both "Bringing Down the Horse" and "Breach", the credits explicitly say "All drums played by Matt Chamberlain". So "Red Letter Days", the band's first album without Ward, was the first album to actually feature Calire's drumming. And he had to share the space with producer Bill Appleberry's drum programming. By the time of the next album, "Rebel Sweetheart", Calire had been replaced by Fred Eltringham. And when original keyboardist Rami Jaffee left for another band, the Wallflowers went on hiatus - until he rejoined with their last album to date, but that didn't last long, either.

Jakob Dylan's "Women & Country" was produced by T Bone Burnett who also worked on "Bringing Down the Horse", and it's my favourite of Jake's recent work. The Japanese version is worth getting because the bonus track really rocks.

heatherly likes this.
  10. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Great album. One Headlight was such a huge hit and it was my favorite song for a while. It's definitely one of the songs that got me more interested in Rock music. I also really loved The Difference. Sadly, it's still the only Wallflowers album I have. I've always meant to try out some others, but have never gotten around to it. It's still on my list!

heatherly likes this.
  11. heatherly

I'd say start off with Breach then Rebel Sweetheart but they're all great records, you can't go wrong, The factory pressed CD's go for like $5 on amazon, pick them up before they go OOP like Jakob's solo records.

Alex D. likes this.
  12. niblips

niblips Active Member

Sean likes this.
  13. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Michael Ward only became the band's lead guitarist late during the sessions for "Bringing Down the Horse" so he isn't on all tracks. The magic interplay between the electric guitar and the dobro on "One Headlight", that's Jon Brion and Leo LeBlanc playing. Mike Campbell of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers came up with the riff to "6th Avenue Heartache". "Angel On My Bike", "Three Marlenas" and "The Difference" feature Michael Ward. I'm not sure but I guess that's him, too, on "God Don't Make Lonely Girls". Another guitarist in the credits of this album is Gary Louris of the Jayhawks but he may well just have contributed background vocals.

The other album by Wallflowers which has got a revolving door of lead guitarists is "Red Letter Days". Studio guitarist Val McCallum of Jack**** is on most tracks, sometimes joined by Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam. So I'd like to recommend either this one or "Breach" as the next one for you.

Laibach likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

preaching to the choir. my first thought seeing this; 'im old'

Todd Fredericks likes this.
  15. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Definitely an amazing album. Cant believe this is 20 already. this received many, many spins from me. Its always a toss up between Wallflowers, Toad the Wet Sprocket or Gin Blossoms for my favs of the 90's.

drowningdeep likes this.
  16. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Great record!! Thought he might have been the most successful off-spring-not sure what happened there in the long run-did he walk away like Julian?

A great style.

17. Vinyldadto3

Vinyldadto3 Well-Known Member

Any pressing information on this release?

18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Red Letter Days is much better. So is Breach. I listen to both of those records regularly still.

19. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

I don't know where it was pressed, but my copy sounded terrible. Flat, compressed, lifeless. I was really disappointed as I love this album.

20. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

One of my favorites from 1996

21. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Saw them open for the Counting Crows back then. Always loved 6th Ave Heartache and the backing vocals from Adam Duritz from the Crows.

22. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Anyone have any info on source? Currently waiting for the Sound of Vinyl 2lp Brown/Black marbled variant. I'm expecting the same packaging,ie no gatefold and just an insert. But I still haven't heard about the sourcing for the 2016 pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.