The War On Drugs - Live Drugs (Nov 20, 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gnomby, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

They started a little podcast. First ep talks about the evolution of Eyes to the Wind live

The War on Drugs

2. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

We’re loving this album in my home. It’s really great. Happy with the CD as it’s been an album we’ve had “on” a lot. Wouldn’t have played it as much as I have if I’d got the vinyl.

3. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

There is very little information on the source of the performances on the sleeve notes. Does anyone know if it can be found online anywhere?

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Loving this album. I wish they had also released a multi disc version with more tracks.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I have listened to the 24/96 version of "Live Drugs" from Qobuz. And also compared it to the 16/44.1 version from Qobuz. I do hear the 24/96 version as being better. Better room ambiance, better decay, larger and more natural sounding soundstage. I don't know how the 16/44.1 version from Qobuz is created. It could be Qobuz using SoX and default dither to create the 16/44.1 version from the high-res version, or it could be the label supplying the 16/44.1 version that they use for the CD that was done by a professional mastering engineer using professional (expensive) resampling and dither routines. When I compare high-res to CD I prefer to have both the commercially released high-res version and the commercially released CD version to compare against. The professional resampling and dithering does make a difference (SoX is not a professional level tool for resampling and dithering). So in the interest of science I have just ordered the CD and will compare it against the Qobuz 24/96 high-res version. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Based on what I've heard with the 24/96 high-res version I expect the high-res version of this album to sound better than the CD if you're a high-res aficionado.

ivor and Rob_1968 like this.
  6. Rob_1968

Rob_1968 Active Member

Been listening to this on Tidal for a week or so now and received my purple vinyl order today. The thing I love about this band are, when listening through my system, is the lovely detail and amazing songwriting. Where the songs sound like the the lyrics and visa versa... the live version of "Under Pressure" on this release is, to my ears, one of the really amazing live recordings of a tune. Brings tears to my eyes. Seriously. What a band and what a song.

jalexander and CCrider92 like this.
  7. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

On the subject of DR. I'm not one to monitor this stuff, but do live albums generally have a narrower dynamic range. Id have thought they do due to the nature of the recording.

(Not including classical performance, I'm thinking of amplified pop/rock music)

8. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

This release is incredible. I wish it had twice as many songs!

9. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

10. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Forum Resident

I saw them at the O2 in London and Under the Pressure was the real highlight. They emphasised that breakdown in the middle and the gradual build up of the drums until it all kicks in. I’m not a huge saxophone kind of guy, but the last few minutes of Eyes to the Wind when I saw them were incredible as well; the band can really play and they look like they enjoy it. Can’t wait to see what they come up with on the next album.

11. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

And here's another YouTube rarity - WoD's cover of The Grateful Dead's "Touch Of Grey" which was released in 2016:

12. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I had a ticket to that gig, but couldn't go due to a work commitment.

My friends that went still rave about how good it was.

13. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

These guys are a real honest to goodness band in the best sense of the word and should be much better known than they are. Seems that they are much better known and appreciated in Europe. Charlie (Rhode Island and Connecticut), Jon and Adam (Massachusetts) are all new Englanders so I have some bias here. LOL I also feel that they are at their very best live and should do all their recording live where their energy and musicianship come right to the forefront - "Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!"

14. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident

Bought vinyl and CD today, really happy with the record, dead flat and quiet, wish all records were this good, am 65 and they are my favourite band, I get my dose of Dylan, Neil Young and Springsteen all in one, love them, have all their albums

15. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Great, so now after listening to this on YouTube Music I will be opening up my wallet yet again to buy another release I didn't know I needed until now.

16. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

The O2 was great. Slowdive supported too! What a line up. I remember “Under The Pressure” being a highlight. Who would’ve guessed that song would turn out to be an arena anthem? The crowd reaction was big for that song.

ARK, CCrider92 and craigobau like this.
  17. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Got the "opaque purple" vinyl edition today.
    a) I don't see any opaque, only purple. Am I colourblind?
    b) sound and pressing quality are exceptionally great. Demo disc material!
    c) I think this might become my favourite war on drugs album. For me it's much more addictive than the last two studio albums. These are quality drugs, yay!

Last week I was sad about my ****ty Nick Cave Idiot Prayer Vinyl. This pressing shows that garbage pressings like the latest Nick Cave album are more or less the product of lazy, careless manufacturing. With a little bit of love and care vinyl can sound so ****ing great! That's why we're all here I suppose and forget that rule of thumb so often.

jumpinjulian and CCrider92 like this.
  18. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I tried my local HMV yesterday, but they only had the vinyl. Said the cd was coming in on Fri, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Given the comments above, I'm looking forward to hearing Under The Pressure live, as I wasn't that keen on the studio version - too keyboard led.

CCrider92 likes this.
  19. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

I can't get into the sound on this release... And it sounds a bit uninspired.. Or maybe I am.. But either way.. Not what I was hoping for.

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Check out "Under The Pressure" at Johnny Brenda's in Philadelphia 2014 on youtube - the show recorded at the time of the release of Lost In The Dream > very psychedelic, very late 60's - early 70's vibe > Jefferson Airplane would have much envied this performance!

Xander2017 and mattazing like this.
  21. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

WOD is also a great covers band > they do very respectful, competent, reverential, appreciative covers IMHO.

22. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

What a great album. I got this on vinyl when it was released a couple of weeks back and, due to work, never got round to listening to it. I was also really disappointed it didn’t include a live version of “Nothing to Find” from the last album, which I just love.

Then I noticed all the glowing comments on here so had a listen on Tidal and I’m very glad I did. It’s fabulous music, hugely emotive. The vinyl is now on the turntable and will be getting some heavy rotation over the weekend.

Hoping we see some new music from them in 2021.

Stone Turntable and idledreamer like this.
  23. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Just ordered the CD on the WOD online store. Shipping mid-December. Can't wait !!!! :cool::righton:

24. Unlike some people here the denseness of the soundscape on their albums ,particularly A Deeper Understanding,is one of my favourite things about their music for me.When I saw them live I missed this.
    However this is a stunning live album.My favourite live album of the year ,archival or otherwise.Adam’s vocals sound so naked and the featured instrumentation so powerful.That the sound is stripped back in comparison to the studio albums also makes it a big plus as you are not getting the songs sounding the same except for the clapping.
    If you are a fan get this.

25. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

It's the opposite for me. And it's not the mastering, it's the mix. I was really hoping for it to be nice and clear, with only 6 instruments to record, rather than the 82 that they threw on every track on the last album.

But no. Everything seems to be clouded under some kind of murky bass-wash, so nothing really cuts through.

I probably prefer Eyes To The Wind and Under The Pressure on here, but the studio versions for the rest.

Biggest disappointments (a bit nerdy, this):

Thinking Of A Place - I was really hoping they'd stretch it out even longer. There's a nice little piano motif that comes in right near the end of the studio version, and I always thought they could have played around with that for another couple of minutes.

In Reverse - doesn't match the dynamism and swing of the studio version (e.g. when the drums kick in for "And I don't mind you disappearing"). From that point on is possibly my favourite WOD part, but on here it's just a slowed down slush.

I'm sure this is a great introduction as somebody's first WOD album, but these aren't the versions I'll be listening to again.

blair207 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.