The White Stripes Elephant Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Mar 6, 2018.

1. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All, Okay, I know this album has been discussed before, I have been trying to find the answer to my question, from reading former threads and have been unable to, so here goes, my question is this, which pressing of The White Stripes Elephant on vinyl is the better one ? The Coloured US V2 ? The 2003 UK ? The 2008 UK ? The 2013 TMR ? or the 2016 TMR ? that's it, that's all I wish to know, as I wish to buy it on vinyl, but I can't seem to weed out the duds from the gold, as some where said to be warped and noisy, some flat sounding ext, I also ask that, when you mention your experience of this record, please state which pressing that you are talking about, as I have noticed that in previous post's, this aspect rarely gets mentioned, hence the difficulty in identifying which one is being referenced. Thanks.

2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have the 2008 UK pressing, it sounds great and Im satisfied with it. Haven't felt the need for any other edition.

Neonbeam and Gonzo-a-gogo like this.
  3. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I have the original 2003 UK pressing. It sounds excellent and I never had any desire to look for another copy except a couple of years back the remastered Third man 2013 US pressings were going cheap.

No doubt the Third Man 2013 pressing sounds better. It has better bass weight and dynamics, guitars crunch harder and overall its more realistic, you can hear more into song and the studio effects. Overall you feel as if you are closer to the master tape and how it sounded in the studio.
    the vinyl is a little noisier in places. There is a little sibilance in Jack's voice on You've Got Her In Your Pocket but to me it sounds as if the mic was clipping so is not distracting.

cheers

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

The 2008 UK doesn't have sibilance which unfornately some have reported to be found from the US-pressing. Not sure how comparison would go between different pressings.
    Perhaps, if I was to go for another copy of "Elephant" I would like to know which is better 2003 UK or 2013 TMR? I can deal with my current 2008 aswell, but sometimes might still want another one.
    I've got the other TMR-reissues (from 2010) of the first 3 albums (The White Stripes, De Stijl & White Blood Cells), Get Behind Me Satan (Red/White-2lp RSD 2015) and Icky Thump (mastered by Steve Hoffman).
    Im pretty satisfied with all the albums, eventhough they aren't original-pressings they sound good for me. I got the cd-versions aswell, but some albums are so much better when listening to vinyl.

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

see my post above. TMR 2013 is quite a bit better sounding than the 2003 UK.

The Gomper likes this.
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, thanks. I don't actually need it but those reissues from 2010 were all so fine, perhaps I could someday get that Elephant to my collection aswell.

7. iDigital

Interesting, as it seems that the reissues are actually better than the originals, which is great, this is exactly the type of comparisons and insight into the different pressings that I am after, no point in buying a pricey original if the reissue is a sonic improvement, thanks all and let the comparisons roll on in

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

There's lot of talk, comments and reviews concerning any issues of The White Stripes-albums here on the forums.
    Im not sure if all the past threads can be found anymore but search will bring lots of opinions and insight. Case by case, album by album and as usual there might not be consensus.
    Of course, it's truly great thing that the reissues for many artists/bands are being done with great care and so don't have to spend too much money for some good sound.
    Original is always original, but you don't necessarily have to get that particular first pressing, so great reissue is all you really need. Besides it's cheaper and you can use the saved money for something else.
    Im pretty satisfied that already OOP titles (for example from the 90's) have gotten great new reissues and vinyl is pristine quality. Unfornately, not all reissues can be good or great, so have to remember still to take these case by case.

9. iDigital

Okay, so, is there any difference between the UK 2003 or the UK 2008 pressings ? and is the reported sibilance on the TMR 2013 present on the TRM 2016 pressing ?

10. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

I really need a copy of the album.

11. iDigital

Yeah, me too

12. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Given my profile picture I thought I should comment! There's definitely some sibilance on the 2013 RSD colored vinyl but still sounds great for the most part. Would love a version without the sibilance as it can be a bit distracting on my system. Apart form that I only have a 2003 CD to compare and it beats that by miles. Who's got the 2016.... get at us!!

13. iDigital

Hi, Yes, we would love to hear from you

14. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

holy cow just got the original US pressing and i think it sounds great.

CassetteDek likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It absolutely does. Even though it was quite tricky to get in Europe since XL was keen on selling their version and you needed at really motivated record store with overseas connection. (Ordering vinyl online was still a bit of a mystery for me).

After I finally got it, I immediately sold the UK with it's ugly dark sleeve. And never looked for another copy of this album.

16. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Sorry for my ignorance but I have just gotten into the W hite Stripes and I absolutely love Elephant, what is the next step I should take as far as there discography?

17. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

just got my copy from Amazon.co.uk. It is going back. Too many crackles(not thaaat loud but still distracting), sibilance o. The track mentioned etc. For 35 pounds, this was unacceptable. Though the mastering in general is real good. If the pressing was more quiet, I'd keep it...
    what is the best cd option? Any ideas?

mikeyt likes this.
  18. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Another release is set for May 22... - White Stripes - Elephant

From what I think I understand, Third Man continues to release limited supplies every 5 to 10 years. They use the same plates from the original analog source for all pressings. I've also read on Discog reviews that Third Man has improved the quality from 2008 to 2013 pressings. I'm not sure about that and I've not had great luck with Third Man quality. Still, this is an awesome album so I'm taking the change on them again. I preordered a copy. I did notice in the BullMoose picture that this pressing has a completely different cover photo. I think that is really cool and wish other labels would do the same. I understand reissues but make them unique IMO (colored vinyl, different cover photos, bonus materials, etc.)

Anyway, it's been released again. Third Man likes to control supply. I wouldn't be surprised if this dried up before too long.

Soundslave and GentleSenator like this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i got so fed up with trying to get a clean/playable copy from the united-pressed batch that i just gave up hope. i'm excited for a repress of hopefully better physical quality.

20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I got a 2013 pressing last year, and it was honestly one of the worst pressed vinyl records I've ever experienced. Just abysmal in every way - noisy, non-fill, pock-marks - you name the production issue, and these platter had it! Thankfully Amazon let me return it.
    I'll look into the new Third Man pressing.

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

oh man. I know the right answer here. I hate Third Man pressing quality. I'm going to regret this purchase :shrug:

jmobrien68 likes this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I don't think mine was Third Man, but United most likely?
    However bad Third Man pressings may be, there's NO WAY they're as bad as United.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, the 2013 is united. i sure hope third man's will be better. i don't want to be a broken record, but like you said above: the united pressing is trash.

24. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Sad news. I just received this 2020 pressing today and it is a repress by united. Same as the 2013 reissue / repress copy. I haven't put it on the turntable yet but I'm hoping I have a good copy.

Ctiger2 likes this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

you're certain it's pressed at united and not just a TMR press that uses the old stampers?