The Who - Album by Album by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Mar 28, 2020.

1. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

Interesting thing in Circles is that we hear Pete sing the bridge in an otherwise Daltrey sung number. How often do we hear that over the next few decades? Personally, I've always loved this effect. The bridge is completely different musically so why not use a different singer too?

How do you think he does it, don't cry don't raise your eye, one and one don't make two, look into the face of a child.....

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Suicide by installments.

4. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Circles - I love the work from Moon and Ox and the middle jam section; sounds like early Who (Pete) finding his musical muse. Fantastic song!

The album as a debut is very good, but if they did away with most of Hopkins piano playing it would have been even better. A classic album that was ahead of it's time in some cases. Pete's songs are what really make this album the classic that it is, he his pretty close to finding The Who "sound" and he is already a superb lyricist all before turning 21!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

"Circles" feels weird to me at the end of the (US) album, think The Ox makes more sense.

Are we doing all versions? Chris Charlesworth thinks the original is superior but I'm undecided. The Ready Steady Who re-recording misses the original's outstanding guitar solo, but is more energetic. It also has a more prominent, superior bass sound (especially in the bridge).

And then there's that missing French horn on the 2002 deluxe.. I think we went through this earlier.

Regardless, I've loved this song ever since "Two's Missing" and it never fails to get stuck in my head, in a good way. Any version will do the trick. :)

(NOW NOBODY MENTION "INSTANT PARTY" - damn..)

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Talmy knew how to record drums. To me, Moon never sounded better than on the My Generation album.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The version posted is a remix with an alternate guitar break and missing the French horn. This is the correct version/mix:

8. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Lukpac; keeping us on Track. HA!

Jon H. and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Cheers mate

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Ha. You jest.

11. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

As a person who discovered The Who post Tommy going back & listening to this I feel the album shows a band trying to find an identity & trying to break away from the maximum R&B.
    A mixture of the not so good (I'm A Man, Please,Please,Please), the good & the great (The Kids Are Alright, My Generation).

A nice listen, a solid debut but apart from the 2 killer tracks nothin overly special.
    Those that were there at the start in real time no doubt have a different view - bless their oversized anoraks.

12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

According to AAA book it is.
    Batman.
    Cobwebs.
    Bucket T.
    I'm a boy.
    Disguises.
    MG/Rule Britianna........different version to the MG/land of hope.

Quote book.

Legal problems prevented the group from using the actual soundtrack for their RSW EP so normal studio cuts were substituted for its release.

13. All Down The Line

Is my memory right saying a car accident?

14. All Down The Line

I have never read Dear Boy, but it rings a bell.

marmalade166 and mark winstanley like this.
  15. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Incredible how many TV shows the band appeared in during 65/66 ......... and also how little still exists.

WhoTapes1, landerstnkb, dee and 2 others like this.
  16. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Ha to you good sir. What is heavier and more raw in 1965?

17. All Down The Line

You were "never" a Single Man?

18. All Down The Line

Good point but iam struggling to imagine The Supremes doing My Generation all the same.

19. All Down The Line

Great point and it immediately reminds me of Daltrey saying (many years down the track) that pre Tommy he was looking for a voice.
    His voice or a persona to inhabit.......

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

It's surprising I'm not now lol

All Down The Line likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

Well Pete dug pianist Mose Allison who was non rock and noted he was called a jazz sage.
    Meanwhile good to hear Roger is consistent describing Townshend's "banjo" guitar style* being apparent to him in their earliest rehearsals.
    *Source Time Is On Our Side: 6 part radio show hosted by Roger Daltrey (on the Rolling Stones) circa 1984/5'.

dee and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Orino

Orino Forum Resident

Ha, not sure why I feel compelled to stick up for Roger so much. Maybe to me in the early days he seems underestimated (not least on this thread!)

Pete said My Generation was the first song he wrote with Roger's voice/persona in mind. Roger had honed that growly, belligerent delivery with his beloved blues/R&B covers on stage over many months.. no Maximum R&B, no My Generation.

I mean Roger admitted the Who would have been nothing without Townshend, but in their formative days he was the bandleader, booking gigs, driving the van and still holding down a day job while Pete was smoking dope in a Belgravia attic.

He even foreswore violence after the late 65 bust up and gave up calling the shots, allowing Pete's (and Kit's) influence to dominate. I think that took some balls.

And as Townshend's genius blossomed, Roger was adapting his performance style for I'm a Boy, Pictures of Lily, Tattoo and more..

23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Absolutely, Roger's taken a lot of **** over the years. Mainly from Pete lol. The Who is the only group on the planet where the iconic lead singer generally gets less attention than everyone else. But he's a major powerhouse and probably more responsible than anyone else for their longevity.

24. All Down The Line

Why, are you a Whisky Man?

Adam9, Thievius and mark winstanley like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hard to argue with this but they have this album called ' Quadrophenia ' and.....well , more on this later.