The Who-Isle Of Wight DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Stateless, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I wasn't planning to pick this up yesterday (just Kill Bill :righton: ) but it was on sale for $14.99 so I said WTF. :p

I have mixed feelings about it. The performance is pretty strong for the most part as I'm sure most you know, but it is NOT the complete performance which I believe it says on the packaging. The sound was fine by me, but I just heard the stereo mix. The editing is a bit tricky though. Visually, I guess they didn't film the whole show, so on certain tunes they use footage of the band playing (obviously) a different song from what you are hearing to make up for what they are missing. Lots of crowd shots too. The first tune, "Heaven And Hell" is a good example of this. Bits of the TOMMY section are like this too. I guess this was the only way they could salvage it. Probably would have been better if they just dumped them because you know what you are hearing is not what you are seeing. :rolleyes:

On the positive side, certain songs are complete (I think), and it is great to see The Who kicking As$ in their prime. "I Can't Explain", "Young Man Blues", "I Don't Even Know Myself", "Water", "Shakin' All Over", "Summetime Blues", "My Generation", "Christmas", "Pinball Wizard", "See Me, Feel Me"...It might be worth it just for those right there.

There is a bonus Towshend interview (35 Min?) that is quite informative. It almost seems like a therapy session at times.

Lastly, there is a little bit at the end of the concert after the credits that will surely give you a chuckle. :laugh:

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

So have they put Tommy back in the middle of the show, where it belongs? The earlier version (and the old laser disc) had the non-Tommy stuff (including the encores) first, and all the rest of the show out of order after that.

If they at least restored the original concert's running order, I might actually upgrade to the new version.

3. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Judging by the packaging, the Tommy stuff is at the end, with Tommy Can You Hear Me? listed as the last track.

Jonathan

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I think they played "Tommy, Can You Hear Me" over the end credits, so that might not tell us much.

However, a look at Amazon's listing indicates that the track order is the same as the original DVD, with the Tommy performance at the end.

5. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

It the same,The sound is worth the upgrade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.