The Who: Moving On- 2019 North American Tour / New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

2. Dean Learner

Dean Learner Forum Resident

Who'ish? Sounds like a good name for a Who cover band.

3. fab4ever

fab4ever Forum Resident

We Who fans should be grateful that they’re still going forward and are going to put out some new music and tour. I think they both look great and sound great. While I miss Moon and Entwistle, to me Pete and Roger ARE The Who.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

So, you've never said anything in your life and changed your mind or circumstances/plans changed?

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  5. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual.

I can't even read a menu without changing my mind three times. I was responding to what you said below, which seemed to be critical of those who weren't willing to take Townshend and Curbishley at face value, and pointing out that there's a reason people are skeptical of the anouncement.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  6. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Ah, I didn't open the link itself and misread the post I replied to - doh!

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My thoughts exactly.

also, if Roger is not impressed with Pete’s demoes, maybe we end up with a Townshend solo album.

8. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

Others may disagree, but I have always thought “Pick Up The Peace” had some of the most Who-like drumming & fills on the album. One of the highlights of Endless Wire for me.

GoodKitty, mw1917, mpayan and 5 others like this.
  9. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I'd rather have Zak than Huntington, but I agree that Huntington's energy a welcome addition. I think Zak got the worst songs on EW. :( -E

RocksOff87 likes this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

Ha Ha :)
    Bring on the yanga-dang lol

11. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Jon Button on bass or is Pete likely to do it himself?

12. I really liked Endless Wire, but Roger’s vocals sounded pretty rough on it.

RocksOff87, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

With special guest Ginger Baker on drums! :D

14. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

It's just like 1978 again: new highly anticipated studio work from the two remaining giants of British Rock - The Rolling Stones and The Who. Well maybe just "anticipated"... but still, something to imagine and is even somewhat adorable.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  15. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I kept quiet when Endless Wire came out. I genuinely thought that they couldn't make something worse than It's Hard, but... They pretty much did. The lack of quality control during that production was just stunning to me. The sterile sound, the flat and unexciting mix, the extremely sub-par vocal-performances (especially from Pete) - not to mention the lack of Zak Starkey on all but one track. Many of the tracks had potential, but they sound so carelessly executed. Whatever they decide to do now, I hope their hearts are in it.

They also need to include Zak, who is an irreplaceable member of the band these days imho, although I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Scott Devours' drumming on Quadrophenia Live In London. But the Quadrophenia-material seems to have been the easiest to adopt to for all of the replacement-drummers. Kenney did his best work on those songs imho, while completely failing at the 60's material + the heavier jam/psych-rock (where Zak excels). Simon, while being a good craftsman, just didn't understand any eras of The Who at all, and should never have been let near the drum-kit in the first place. Why didn't they ask a drummer with some taste to go with the chops, like Clem Burke? Then again, Simon was unfortunate to be a member of the band at a time when it just wasn't technically possible to make anything sound cool. Everything was just ****. "STOP right there, son. It's 1989! You're legally obliged to run everything through a Behringer DI." The Who On Ice was a collective psychosis, and not a happy one at that. A shame, because some of those setlists were damn good.

A 1990 Who-album would have been absolutely atrocious, and it's good that they let it go for a while after than, but a 2001 record otoh could have been very interesting, especially with the core band of Pete, John and Zak. There was a fire at times during that 2000-tour that made me tear up just from watching video clips. A dream scenario would have been 3 weeks in Electrical Audio with Steve Albini recording them using vintage gear. Even Pete's half-baked material would have benefitted greatly from that.

But they weren't ready yet, and instead John left us, and we got another craftsman with an anemic sound - this time on the bass, which not only meant that the heaviness was toned down by 500 %, but also that Pete started compensating by doing a lot of fast and flashy fretwork that was so cringeworthy. He thankfully toned it down a bit after a while, and I thought the 2004 tour was a lot better than 2002, and ended up preferring the two new 2004-tracks to 90 % of Endless Wire. They weren't great, but they were certainly better than "Mirror Door", "Pick Up The Peace" and "We Got A Hit".

So yes, the album was underwhelming, but it was a great time to be a Who-fan, with the band on the road, the fan club going strong - even releasing a live CD with vintage material, the Encore CD/DVD-series, the officially endorsed Long Live Rock torrent-site (a heavenly gift), and the wonderful In The Attic-series, which gave me so many hours of enjoyment. I became a Rachel Fuller-fan too.

13 years on, I have to say that I'm very surprised that they're even considering making a new album. Pete's voice is (judging from recent live performances) pretty much completely shot, while Roger has sounded miraculously good during the last couple of years. As for songwriting and production, who knows? Pete is apparently listening to a lot of trance techno and hip-hop these days, which could well be a healthy thing. "Dark ballads, heavy rock stuff, experimental electronica, sampled stuff and cliched Who-ish tunes that began with a guitar that goes yanga-dang" certainly sounds like a pretty good write-up.

Bonddm, Dog Ear, JimSpark and 3 others like this.
  16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Really?
    A mod edited my use of the word a-----e and changed it to butthole? I could swear I've seen the original word and worse in other threads. Is this new policy?

17. I'd really prefer a solo Pete album myself... but I don't see that happening... and plenty glad just to see any new Pete songs reach fruition at all!

Matthew Tate and J_D__ like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sorry you will not get your way.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Why bother posting in this thread then?

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Me.

The longest, slowest, saddest decline in rock soldiers on.

21. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Usually when The Who start touring around March / April, they do a show or two at the Albert Hall for the Teenage Cancer Trust. It appears most of the slots have been filled but it looks like nothing has been announced yet for the Tuesday.

I see they have indicated that they plan to play some festivals in the summer. It will be interesting to see which ones.

BlueJay likes this.
  22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

It's the live shows I have no interest in, but a new album...........I'm in!
    I liked Endless Wire, though I thought some of the performances could of been better.

23. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

John called the band TED (Townshend Entwistle Daltrey).

Dave Hoos and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Bill

Bill Senior Member

John should have called it DE(b)T, since they toured last to help him pay his tax obligations!

25. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I am excited over the concept of the Who with a symphony. Why not try something different? I wish Macca would do the same-"cheap bastard":D.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.