The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Cool price, almost on par with Stones in Mono. Excerpt that with Stones you get 15 discs and there you get only 5.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But there's only about 4 discs of unique material in the Stones box, so it all works out in the end.

Adam9 likes this.
  3. hallucalation

We don't know the contents of Who box. I hope that only Mono disc will be duplicated.

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Really? I would love to hear, for instance, the aborted take of Out In The Street, or the bluesier version of I Don't Mind or the longer ending of Daddy Rolling Stone. Not to mention studio dialogue and other songs of interest. Not earth-shaking, and I wouldn't consider such additions to be make or break the release, but it would be nice to get some new material. I'll have to go through some other Who threads. You're saying the mono mix sounds fine, but I seem to recall you being critical (of some releases) in the past. Perhaps I'm in error. Ron

hallucalation likes this.
  5. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I would rather have a definitive collection of singles with their proper mixes, please. Hi-res if possible in order to go with the rest of my Who collection. I'm not particularly interested in a super deluxe My Generation set.

superstar19, Dennis Metz and DrBeatle like this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note most of the Talmy stuff isn't completely different recordings, but different overdubs on top of the same basic tracks.

Other than the master take of Circles, the mono mix sounds fine.

http://www.hdtracks.com/my-generation-mono-version-205758

St. Troy likes this.
  7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

My thoughts on all matters 100%.

The momentum and excitement of the 50th/51st/52nd/whatever anniversary has come and gone...if they were worried about how many they'd sell to non-hardcore fans then, I can only imagine how they feel now! :laugh:

And the My Gen deluxe is likely the same stuff we've all had for ages streeeeeeeeeeetched out to fill 5 discs.

WhoTapes1 and Dave Hoos like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'm in for a massive live box set...1966-82

9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I guess I wasn't too clear in my previous post. I have all of the high-res downloads and enjoy them immensely. It would just be nice to have an updated high-res singles collection to go along with it.

superstar19 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  10. hallucalation

What is a:
    Circles (Revised Mono Version)
    Instant Party Mixture (Mono Version) - modern Mono fake?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Circles is the alternate version/mix that first showed up on the 2008 JPN box.

Instant Party is presumably a new mono remix.

12. hallucalation

It's doesn't appear on 2002 deluxe and unique to JPN box?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The 2002 DE didn't have any mono mixes, other than My Generation and A Legal Matter.

It's in the 2008 and 2012 JPN sets, as well as the HD download.

hallucalation likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No one added to the Pete Townshend known demo list...........oh well.

I would think there would also be demos for (in addition to what has been mentioned)

The Good's Gone
    A Legal Matter
    Anyhow, Anyway, Anywhere
    I Can't Explain

15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

So, is this what we get in lieu of another Greatest Hits collection, or are they going to put out a new one of those, too?

I know, they can put out a single-disc "Best of the My Generation Super Deluxe Box"

16. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Those would have probably been on the Genuine Scoop disc one bootleg if they were in circulation.

17. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Who wouldn't be? But if it hasn't happened by now, it's never gonna, especially as they seem to downplay lately how great they were in the real/Moon Who era.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. The idea has been under consideration since the early 1980's, and gained serious steam during the mid-1990's during the reissue/remix campaign. Nevertheless, nothing appeared (except for the exclusive two disc View From A Backstage Pass) and it seems that in an era of deteriorating physical retail that any such concept has been abandoned. If they cannot justify releasing a 50th Anniversary box set, with a mixture of remastered master recordings and rarities, which on paper would have more retail potential than a live set, then it seems highly unlikely that a live box set would be considered.

Dave Hoos, WhoTapes1 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

if they had sought fan advice [of a Matt Kent type] earlier it would have been avoided.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Why select My Generation over Who's Next or By Numbers as the next title to get the Super Deluxe treatment.

That's a very puzzling decision.

Are there recording copyrights that need to be "protected" .??

Dave Hoos and Jet Age Eric like this.
  21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

at this point, who cares?

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

What do you think is on the fifth disc?

RedWingfan and Jet Age Eric like this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think if there were, they would have had to do this last year.

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I agree with you that we have nearly all that could be on a box set BUT I disagree re: greatest effort. One of my favourite debut albums...and one of my fave Who albums, and that is saying a lot.

Having said that, short of some amazing tape discovery, I doubt I will be getting this.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    WhoTapes1 likes this.
  25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll hazard a guess. They are starting from the beginning. Hopefully there's a plan to do an exhaustive, Super, Duper Deluxe for each and every album. Certainly can't be a Copyright Release... a year late as Luk said. Only time will tell. Ron