The Who "WHO ARE YOU", new 4k video remastering on their YouTube channel...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

If someone can make it look like Peter Cushing is still pulling strings aboard a Star Destroyer, anything is possible.......

WildHoneyPie9 and J_D__ like this.
  2. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I remember him saying "You gotta!"

landerstnkb, Rne and J_D__ like this.
  3. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Its very curious as to why thats true. I got into the Who from Montery concert to " Whos Next" and have " The Story of the Who" double lp and at that time, 1976, used that album as my reference and it too lacks much of this period. I did not even know of any of "Quadraphinia" until about 1979-80.
    My friend who I got into The Who explored this period and till this day is a Who expert and if it wasn't for him even I would never of known anything from this period except "Long Live Rock". It reminds me of the post Beatles "Hard days night" to "Rubber Soul" period that was ignored by myself for years.
    Take care, John M.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

I've always heard "You (or Ya) got it!"

landerstnkb and Rne like this.
  5. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Yes it probably was me with Don Kirshners Rock Concert show on NBC around 1978. Whats good for us all is that I was a VHS/beta madman in the late '70s and have all these premier presentations on tape. Got them all in my attic with working tape machines and its a treasure trove of history. The quality is problamatic but would love to transfer all to DVD and share with the world:goodie:. I seriously doubt I could ever get it done, cost wise and logistics, but it would be something I would love to do. John M.

6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I would agree but the F bomb was substituted for "Hell" on a tv release and not just 'flown in', the video is slighly different in that the medium shots of Pete playing the piano fills was minimized in the "hell" versions or in an edited shorter time version. Memory of these is shoty but I would swear that the "Who are you" video has atleast 2 versions. This is going to be tough to prove without gettng vintage tapes I made. John M.

7. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I thought it was 'you got me' referring to Pete possibly stood on his mic cable just as he's about to twirl it?

landerstnkb likes this.
  8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I will rip tkaa version of WAY later tonight and place it alongside the new 4k? version to compare them both and upload it here via YouTube later tonight to check for any differences.

9. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Much appreciated :righton:

J_D__ likes this.
  10. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

I just think it was a lack of quality material available at the time (late 1970s.) Most of what they had to work with were old mono television broadcasts that were recorded on to video tape in the 60s. There isn't much you can do to improve the image quality. There were other televised concerts, and some of them wound up on the "30 Years of Maximum R&B" release in 1994, but that footage belonged to Bill Graham (Tanglewood,) the BBC (Charlton,) whomever owned the rights to Kampuchea, and a few others that escape my mind right now. Maybe Stein knew of their existence but didn't want to pay for the rights to use the footage? Plus, I'm sure footage that came out later, like London Coliseum 1969 and Houston 1975 were unknowns back in the late 70s. I've read that this is also why they staged the Kilburn and Sheperton concerts - because they didn't have any quality versions of the classics. Of course, that's just conjecture, my putting together the pieces of what I've read over the years. I could be dead wrong, too.

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, you'll need to turn that setting off. Everything will look like garbage until you do. It's sad that so many people have their TVs set up like this. :(

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

What is there to say about this; it's like a religious experience, an absolutely superlative performance and the best scream in rock.

13. felipezorro

felipezorro Forum Resident

London Coliseum footage is in the movie.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I forgot to mention that hopefully the videos run at the same speed and stay together.
    Tried a similar thing a few years ago with Young man blues from tkaa versus the Coliseum DVD.......they were different video speed.

dee and Cool hand luke like this.
  15. Cool hand luke

Could you possibly give any examples of how the videos differ, in their "cuts", as you say?

16. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I assume you're referring to WBAB (102.3 Babylon) and WNEW (102.7 NYC).

17. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I took another look and have to say you are right and I was wrong. :agree: I think some of the way the shots are framed do look slightly different due to the 4K. But there don't seem to be any cuts that are actually different. It's my bad, I spoke too soon without closer inspection. Sorry about that.

18. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, the TKAA soundtrack was (re)uploaded to the official Who YouTube channel today. Quiet rollout of restored/remastered film and soundtrack?

Also, went to a neighborhood vinyl sale yesterday with a good buddy of mine. He pulled an original MCA TKAA soundtrack out of the bin to show me. I told him “you should get it...it’s *kinda* their best one, almost.” So he did.

19. Cool hand luke

No problem my friend, and I believe you're right on the framing, it does make certain shots look "different" somehow. All in all what a treat to see this with such clarity.

Herman Schultz and 2141 like this.
  20. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Nice to see this.... please let this be the spark that gives us a DELUXE edition of Who Are You finally!!

Herman Schultz likes this.
  21. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

It's always good to see these old 35mm recording being scanned/restored to their former glory. I wish the indutry was as enthusiastic about finding and releasing all the early HD recording from the 80's and early 90's.

Im still waiting to see those Japanese recordings from the World Cup in 1990.

mdm08033 likes this.
  22. Marshall66hendrix

Marshall66hendrix Senior Member.

Always really liked this song, but like it even more! Nice one.:righton::goodie:

23. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

One of Sting's concerts from The Soul Cages tour was filmed in HD as well but sadly we've never gotten it beyond the letterbox Laserdisc and VHS home video releases. A shame really.

24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It all looks same .............to the Naked Eye!

25. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

It’s blocked ! I was waiting for this comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.