The Who’s ‘Tommy’ - New 2022 Half-Speed Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benn Kempster, May 11, 2022.

1. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

'Taking the bait' is a rather ignorant comment, we all have different reasons for buying different pressings. Some might simply be interested in upgrading to a freshly remastered and quiet copy from their worn-out crispy-crackle original. It's got nothing to do with fishing.

misteranderson likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Passing on this one.

3. Pali Gap

Strange, I seem to recall this specific pressing getting very high praise in other threads/reviews.

guitardiet and Terry like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And there are still probably better options than going for the shiny new object...

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I can't comment on other Abbey Road Half Speed Masters, but the edition of John Martyn's Solid Air sounds fantastic. (It was one of the first six titles that Miles Showell did back in 2016.)

6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Is there an easy way to identify the 2014 Kevin Grey version?

EDIT - let me add, identify it if it's sealed.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  7. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The most recent one from him that I have...It's Hard by the Who...sounds great.
    Electric Warrior is on the way.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  8. Pali Gap

Sure, we could say this about nearly every new release. Doesn't mean this one can't be good, or even great. I don't recall Abbey Road promising this would be the best pressing ever, nor does anyone expect it to be.

Worth mentioning the half-speed is advertised as 'packaged in the original sleeve' which might indicate a nice trifold sleeve.

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I see Abbey Road mastering
    Unless it is a different angle (outtakes, etc) or the only release of that music available

I just save my money and don’t bother with the modern release

I’m sick of lifeless, compressed lps with no air

It’s depressing to know that album won’t get a better treatment

Micheal at 45 RPM audiophile has commented that their sound quality is getting better but paying for middle of the road digital remasters isn’t very attractive

baroquehoedown33 likes this.
  10. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

Yes it does, as does the Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream' HSM.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  11. Pali Gap

Several people in this thread have commented about excellent half-speed pressings, they are capable of quality releases. The Ziggy 50th is getting a lot of praise, even from Michael lol. ('Gorgeous'...'fantastic'...'beautiful'...)

Vinylfindco and misteranderson like this.
  12. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Live at Leeds and Ram are outstanding. Best I’ve heard for both titles. Who’s Next is excellent; little less air than A1/B2, but smoother and fuller sounding.

djost and misteranderson like this.
  13. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Kevin’s cut is awesome. Only way I can see it beat is if Chad does a UHQR.

baroquehoedown33 likes this.
  14. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I'm sorry but that guy is a noob.
    But noobs like his videos, but it's the blind leading the blind. Beginners at this always want to "Follow" they want a fast track to what is good. I also noticed he's tooting horns for the ones lining his pockets. All anyone has to do is look at his record collection to know he's new at this. But hey if you got the money and buy all the most expensive records over the past few years, then gain a subscriber base, the labels of these records want you to keep talking. He started that channel May 13, 2020, he signed up her around the same time. His few post here are only to lead you to his youtube channel.

I've been on sites since 2010, that's when I got my first computer, and you'll see my post all over audio sites. My collection looks nothing like his. Yes I have all the high dollar records at least in music I like, but I also have newish run of the mill 180g, as well as an extensive pre 1990s old issues that takes many years to buy and accumulate.

But my point is he is very new, gleans info from site like this and then brings it to his Youtube channel.

Now audiotom I'm not saying your new at this at all, and respect your opinion on many records, we tend to hear the same things, or at least get the same results on the same records. I also know your not a brand name label fanboy, if it's good you'll say so, if bad you'll also say so. But these Half speed don't warrant all the put downs they get, especially from people that haven't heard the title in question the threads about. Granted no label is perfect and you have had some that didn't float your boat. But lets be real, you haven't had MFSL one steps sound good either, I'm sure there are some AP titles you thought that were bad. But you don't arbitrarily go into threads to bad mouth any of these labels without listening to the title.

End of Rant
    Peace Brother

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Thanks for you insights 4 2 7

Yes you and I have similar insights on noteworthy (or not so notewothy) recordings

I was commenting that a youtube reviewer (Michael aka 45rpm) most people here have seen had commented on Abbey Road releases getting better.

I’ve been bit by ARS releases and perhaps enjoyed others I wasn’t aware were from them

There are a large number of people a bit newer on the music collecting end that read more into a hype sticker than the sound of the music in the grooves. They don’t have a significant original collection of great sounding music to compare to, or are paying big money now to collect reissues from 10-15 years ago. I do find it a mind field to trust a lot of people’s comments or opinions on a new release particularly in the analog / digital/ hifi ish world we are in now,

I have been collecting music since the mid 1970s, hiatus on buying in the cd era but I came back in 2002 when you could find treasure troves of original releases in great condition and wonderful new analog audiophile pressings from CLASSIC RECORDS, SPEAKERS CORNER, ETC I had a lot of UK, German and Japanese imports recorded to cassette ihad bought years ago awaiting me

My experience with Abbey Road HSM series
    Peter Gabriel 45rpm (the first 4 were murky and compressed - the next four sounded very good, UP superb, not as open and warm as the Classic Records)
    Amy Winehouse - Back to Black - ultra shrill RSD Remixs sounded great
    Brian Eno - sorry originals are so much warmer and his flowing music doesn’t work in 45 rpm
    The Police box sounds good but not as dynamic as the originals. Ghost in The Machine is a demo record
    Others - can’t recall

I do like the Elbow, Beatles and Goat Girl releases

What titles do you think they did particularly well?

3-1-6

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    teag likes this.
  16. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I had some horrible miles cuts (stones) and some pretty good but not outstanding ones (Marley), but the recent Roxy Music reissues that I have are just superb, maybe he upgraded his mastering chain?

Vinylfindco and c-eling like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

He doesn't master, he cuts using whatever digital the labels supply him with.

18. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I don't doubt that, I'm just trying to figure out how to identify it on a website or in a store rack so I can buy one.

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

It's pretty nice sounding but my 1973 US pressing sounds better - it's more dynamic and a bit clearer in tone.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually there are many new releases where there is a legit expectation it will better most, if not, all previous issues - particularly if vintage copies (or a particular cut) aren’t cheap or super common.

You are correct it could be good (this is actually fairly likely). It could even be great (much less likely IMO). But there are lots of “good” or better options out there for Tommy - with many readily available and not overly expensive.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  21. Pali Gap

'Better' than this half-speed pressing which has not been released yet? I'll take your word for it.

jmatuchi and 4-2-7 like this.
  22. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Hey just take some spaghetti and throw it against the kitchen cabinets, if it sticks it's done.:D

23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yeah thanks I was hoping you didn't take my post wrong or argumentive. First off let me say that you have seen some post of mine whereas I'll compare many same titles. While that's all well and good I generally reserve that for something like a One Step or an AP. I'll compare those to less expensive record or a group of records of same titles. Buying $25 records and comparing them to many others I have all the time would be a total burnout. Some titles I might have 4-5 newer issues, and maybe ten old copies of it, to compare to a $25 AR HS, I'm just not going to do that. I don't really care if something sounds better or not, all records are different and I don't mind having them for what they are.

That said I'll listen to a AR HS and judge it on its own merits, is the jacket nice, is the pressing clean. Playing it, does something stands out as not sounding right. Does it sound good, is it enjoyable, is it musical and I just forget everything and immerse myself in the music. If something sounds odd I might at that point try another same title.

Many of my AR records are in box sets, I like the well balanced of these sets all mastered and pressed at the same time. Some of these sets are also the first pressing of the titles and are made better than the individual titles coming out much later.

Understandable, Miles moved to AR in 2013, he had to get a room all setup, get used to the sound in the room, all the while still get mastering work done and lacquers cut. He was doing some of these big artist like Genesis, Queen, The Who half speed when he was at Metropolis Mastering and don't hear any bashing of his work done there. In fact there is a lot of Half Speeds he's done at both places that are not advertised Abbey Road or half speed no one complains about. Seems to only be the ones with the Abbey Road OBI on them that get the big poo poo by people.

What's ARS?

There is a lot of new people taking other peoples word and opinion as to what to buy. What they need to do is buy records and listen to them, themself. They also listen to others to much, reading to much info on the records and stop building a bias to what I would call hyped myths. I don't buy these Abbey Road records because they are mastered half speed, I could care less about that. I just think they can fit the bill of a balanced good record that is reasonable priced and that's just fine for most people for 75% of the records they want.

These are not AR Half Speed records and Miles didn't master them. They were done at Metropolis Mastering by Tony Cousins, and mastered half speed.

I don't know because you would want me to give you something I went through the trouble to compare. As I said many of these I don't do that with, have I ever played one and been very disappointed, not really.

I did do a shootout in the Sade thread, wasn't going to at first because all the titles in that box sounded fantastic to me. But i did do one because someone asked for Diamond Life. I compared a UK, US, Audio Fidelity, Abbey Road out of the set, and some singles. I ended up liking the Abbey Road the best, and a 12" single.

24. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Ram is one I like. Exile not so much. RSD Odds and Sods is good. Tattoo You not so much. McCartney (1) not so much

djost, sharedon and DK Pete like this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

ARS - Abbey Road Studios

I could care less about half speed master myself as well

No need for a comparison
    Just what records grabbed you - sounded good

I have that Sade box and many are dishing on it
    I think the later album Boxset lps sound better than the now $$$ OOP albums (not the Audio Fidelity audiophile represses)

Mind opened