The Woman King

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by maccafan, Jul 23, 2022.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member Thread Starter

This looks absolutely awesome...

kanakaris and DementedAvenger like this.
  2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

3. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

If past experiences here are anything to go by, I wonder how long it’ll take for the grumpy old men saying this movie is Woke BS and they are not taking it anymore.

On topic: looking forward to seeing this in Dolby Vision, Atmos, with popcorn.

smilin ed likes this.
  4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I am sure some dirt and pebbles will carry one in soon enough.

5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The racists are out in force in the Youtube comments on the trailer.

It almost feels like an organized attack.

smilin ed likes this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I see kind of the opposite. There is a lot of stuff on Black Twitter and other sites attacking the film basically saying that these women should not be celebrated because unlike the film in reality they were responsible for a massive amount of the slave trade. They existed, so no-one can accuse it of being woke, but the film is highly innacurate and distorting what these women were actually doing.

That's the criticism.

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I did see one review, from someone who gets unfairly labelled as some kind of right winger. Anyway, a respected movie reviewer.

He admitted he had no idea about the real history.

But he said three things - he loved it as an action film, very well done, it was extremely violent which surprised him and lastly the trailer was quite misleading.

Speedmaster likes this.
  8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Just watched it on Blu through my home theater system and it looks and sounds great (my subs were happy). Nice performance by the always solid Viola Davis and a nice breakthrough performance by young Thuso Mbedu.

Not a historical pic but basically an action movie with a very familiar plot to this genre so you know how things will play out pretty quickly. Still a worthy watch.