The world of aftermarket styli

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

If I sold Coca Cola and they’d said I had to sell it for $2 a bottle I would have to comply.
    But if I took the label off I could sell it unbranded for whatever I wanted......

PhxJohn and JohnO like this.
  2. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Here's something I noticed this afternoon - some seller on the auction site has a bunch of old EVG branded styli, spanning at least two types of EVG packaging. Search this number "PM2385DE" to see his pics of one in a red blister hanging package; he has others. That EVG package, which I've never ever noticed before from EVG, is identical to the packaging Empire was using, and so is the typeface for the "model number". Some Empire package pictures will show on the same auction site page as suggestions and you can see they are identical packaging.

So: Was Empire selling EVG styli in a special Empire package, or was EVG selling Empire styli (for all brands) in a special EVG package? Or did EVG absorb the Empire stylus business, and packaging machine, when Empire collapsed, or did Empire assume the EV business when EV got rid of their stylus business? Or was some proto source supplying both at the time?

On the auction site, for years, there have been many more in this red package branded Empire compared to EVG.

It's all in the past, but these are showing up on the auction site, and could throw a little light and raise more questions about this mysterious aftermarket stylus business.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    PhxJohn likes this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I made a mistake on the $80 quote. I have to wonder about JICO's 'one retailer or distributor per continent'. So far, I am only aware of North America being affected. What else is going to happen ? I agree with 'We'll see I guess'. I think more changes are coming.

4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The term 'price fixing' comes to mind. LOL. So are you a Tonar retailer recognized by Tonar ?

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I cannot answer all of it, but EVG exists now. Empire and EV(styli) do not. Until very recently, the PM2385DE was available as newly manufactured from EVG. I bet Gary at Voice of Music can answer all of your questions in your post.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I had to think about it.....the styli for Empire that I bought in the past few months were in the clear plastic cases with the yellow label with black printing.

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I know the current EVG has a historical connection to original Electro-Voice cartridges and styli of the 1960s. But it must be a real zig-zag thin line of connection.

PhxJohn likes this.
  8. Jelloalien

Haha, there is no collusion!! (you've read that before somewhere recently, I’m sure)

I'm not a brick and mortar store, more a hobby business, and I do not market Tonar styluses on eBay or even my Facebook page. I should prob update my sig here actually :p

PhxJohn likes this.
  9. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

EVG stands for Electro-Voice Game. I do not know where or when about the 'Game'. Scott at Pfanstiehl would be another person who probably knows the whole sequence and story about Electro-Voice, Empire, EVG, and Russell Industries.

McLover likes this.
  10. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I didn't read it....it just 'smacks' of it. You have good prices though !!

Jelloalien likes this.
  11. Jelloalien

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Jelloalien likes this.
  13. Jelloalien

Train-wrecks are hard to ignore sometimes haha

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. Jelloalien

PhxJohn, hope you don't mind but i stole your link to put here too. Its a good write-up, even though i feel some parts of it need updating/revision

Article on aftermarket styli (Thanks John!)
    I'm needling you! | The KermiBlog

PhxJohn and 33na3rd like this.
  15. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Some statements and some info are incorrect but there is some good info. I do not know why so many people think that Pfanstiehl is the Swiss manufacturer of styli. Pfanstiehl BUYS their mag styli from a Swiss manufacturer(that no one seems to know the name of).

Jelloalien likes this.
  16. tinpanalley

tinpanalley Forum Resident

Well, thanks for this. Really useful info. I'm currently dealing with this because I was looking for anothe OM10 for my Ortofon cartridge and found it quite difficult to get a hold of in Canada (I live in Quebec) but search after search brought up the Tonar or Pfansteihl or someone's recommendation to get one instead of an Ortofon. I'm trying to find specs that will tell me if the sound quality is less than an original OM10. If not, it sort of begs the question, why don't I get the aftermarket version of an OM20 since they're so much cheaper? Can you or anyone else shed some light on what I'm missing by going for a Tonar or Pfansteihl?
    Thanks!

17. Jelloalien

I sell Tonar styli, feel free to pm me and I can certainly hook you up (I’m in Ontario).

Tonar sources most of their items from Jico and from belief pfanstiehl Swiss made. IMHO Japanese made aftermarkets will yield def better quality.

The stylus 20 and 30 from Jico are both elliptical and both the same. I'm bias, but the aftermarket stylus 20/30 will be comparable to a original om10 (I’ve even had people compare the sound to an original om20 but obviously there are differences, the biggest being the aftermarket is bonded). The original om30 is a nude fine line, so in another world...but pricey :)

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It began as Game, a major aftermarket stylus supplier. Electro-Voice bought Game, which became EV-Game. Now owned by LKG. Previous to this, Electro-Voice did manufacture ceramic cartridges (one of the best companies who did so), and they were manufactured in Newport, Tennessee, around 1-2 hours from where I live depending on where I hang my hat. Some history. Game also manufactured idler wheels, pinch rollers, and other rubber parts for the electronics industry. EV was located near Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, and Jefferson City, Tennessee, both major Magnavox manufacturing plants. A major EV customer for cartridges, by the way.

Before EVG, there was EV Game Pro Mag (who supplied Japanese aftermarket styli of generally excellent quality (many made by Jico). Thank you for your insider knowledge on generic stylus manufacturers and dealers. Between you and Richard Steinfeld, and another person or two, I have learned and gained much knowledge on this subject. And also being in the electronics service industry from young, I dealt with my fair share of radio/phono/older B&W tube TV and older color receiver repair and servicing.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    JohnO, Jelloalien and PhxJohn like this.
  19. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

20. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Lots of great info here. Does anyone know anything about Rivertone? My local record shop has a lot of Rivertone NOS styli, but I have no idea if they were considered high quality or not. I did not pay much attention to this kind of thing back in the day, I always just bought a new Shure stylus at Radio Shack every year.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    cjc and PhxJohn like this.
  21. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I believe Rivertone is some old defunct brand. Unless an old stylus is OEM, I see no reason to buy it unless the model is no longer in production. eBay is a good source of fresh cheap styli by EVG and Pfanstiehl. LPTunes and Pickupnaalden also sell on eBay should you want something Japanese sourced such as JICO sourced or branded.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Jelloalien and Needlestein have also been very excellent on their knowledge of generic styli and their sources, they also have been very useful knowledge bases for me on making stylus purchase decisions. One thing which Jico excels at, their Shure styli are also like the originals, available in the various application and budget specific options which is great for those who need a specific option, due to their application and/or budget. No one size fits all. And also the consistently excellent Jico Japan quality control must be singled out for praise. You can buy 5 or 6 or however many styli you need of a type, all of them are consistent in how the tips are aligned, the polish, the workmanship from sample to sample. The current Jico N 44-7 are better quality than the last 5 or 6 Shure originals I have had. On par with the old USA made Shure new old stock original N 44-7 styli I have examined recently under the microscope. They perform, track, and sound just like originals. I feel confident enough with them to use the Jicos daily.

Jelloalien and PhxJohn like this.
  23. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

For a short time in the early '70s, Electro-Voice was also the original importer of Audio Technica cartridges (under the EV brand) before A-T set up their own operation in Ohio.

McLover likes this.
  24. cjc

cjc Senior Member

There is a seller on e..y that sells Rivertone branded Stylus. Some stylus I have received are in Pfanstiehl type packages stating Hand Polished Diamond Stylus along with Rivertone Monticello, NY 12701. They seem of good quality.

25. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

LKG owns Pfanstiehl. Russell Industries owns EVG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.