"The Zombies Greatest Hits" dual-layer SACD TRACK LISTING

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite bands - The Zombies - I wouldn't have minded if Steve included other songs including covers like "Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself" or "Going Out Of My Head."

It surely wouldn't hurt even if it were a Zombies complete set, like Big Beat's "Zombie Heaven," which, incidentally, wasn't done, as I suspect, from the real master tapes. (You could always tell when it's not the 1st generation masters - the decay and body are amiss in the songs.)

As I still have mint LPs of "The Early Days" (Don't Go Away) or the totally clean, brand new Decca "Begin Here," (bought when Korvettes, a department store here was going out of business in the 80's as CDs emerged thus helping me preserve the LP) having just 20 cuts are not really enough - don't you think?

Or the London issue of "The World of The Zombies" where I have not heard a better version of "Nothing's Changed."

I wouldn't mind paying a premium if Steve included every tune the Zombies recorded.

Call me greedy but I want everything!

George

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Nope- Indians, but I know a good announcer when I hear one, and Ernie's one of the best.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Re: The Dave Clark Five

Back when the DC5 set came out, Hollywood Records was owned by Disney. Not sure anymore, as last year Rhino was selling off the remaining copies of the set they'd found in a warehouse, which could mean WB has aquired them.

I don't know what Clark's problem with Hollywood's promotion was. Hell, the thing actually charted. Debuted pretty high on the album chart, especially for a double CD of 30 year old recordings. Even the Beatles Red and Blue albums didn't chart when they were reissued. Dave is in need of a reality check. :rolleyes:

Did he also pull the UK Glad All Over Again compilation out of print at the same time? That's actually the disc I own, and that was on EMI. If he did, then that argument about Hollywood Records inadequately promoting his stuff kind of falls apart.

I'd say that's definitely a newly recorded soundalike. Clark doesn't own the song, just the DC5's recording. It is a pretty good imitation of Mike Smith though, isn't it? In fact, I don't know if Clark has a legal leg to stand on, but Smith might. Bette Midler successfully sued some years ago over a commercial that used a singer who imitated her.

4. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

Re: Re: The Dave Clark Five

It's not Mike Smith?

Sure had me fooled!

George

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: The Dave Clark Five

Well, I can't tell you for sure that it isn't Mike Smith, but I'm pretty sure that's not the DC5's recording of the song.

6. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Ngeorge - Another thing you might want to check out are the slightly different STEREO mixes of "She Does Everything For Me" between "World of" and "Early Days". The The "Early Days" version has Rod's backing voice on the "and now I know" line during the chorus mixed up louder.

BTW, if you have a few seconds...Can you tell me what vintage Decca pressing you have of "World Of" - dark green label or light blue with the red and blue ring around it (or any other variation)? Just curious.

I'd also add that the UK vinyl comps from the 70's are well worth snarfing up ("World of", "Rock Roots"). They are great collections with really good (particularly "World") sound. The yellow label Epic UK "Time of the Zombies" is also fantastic! Really good sound taken right off of the masters....early hits in mono...one of the best ways to listen to "O&O" IMO. Some of the US Epic pressings (orange and blue labels) of the same 2 LP set were kinda nasty...with "I'll Call You Mine" (which replaced "Conversations Off Floral Street") sounding like it was lifted off a warbly cassette of a worn 45....left to bake out in the sun.

Oh yeah...make sure and buy the new SACD!

7. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dave Clark Five

The Detective disagrees! I say Mike Smith, Dave Clark 5, original recording. At least the TV spot I heard/saw.

A RADIO spot, that I heard, has an alternate version (sort of) with a drawn-out sax break that kinda sounds neat!

8. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dave Clark Five

Pat,

It sounds like someone did a special mix from the multi-tracks, doesn't it?

Bob

9. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dave Clark Five

On the RADIO spot...I'd definitely agree...TV spot, could be!

10. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dave Clark Five

Pat,

It definitely sounds different and more than just added compression for the spots.

Bob

11. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Bob,

I wonder what the sound is of THESE commercials...Stereo or Mono?

They come up so fast, that I never have time to do any "sound sleuthing"!
    :laugh:

12. Bob Lovely

Pat,

I will take a close listen next time one comes up--do not be totally surprised if it Stereo, however.

Bob :laugh:

13. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

David,

My "Rock Roots" is Australian, I believe. "Time of The Zombies," a double-album set is from Epic. As for "World of," I'll check the label and let you know in a few days. (Probably the light blue variation.)

Aside from the multiple versions of "O&O," I don't think the CDs were from the original tapes (maybe). Like you said, "World of" sounds best.

Only Steve could bring some justice to the songs of this ahead-of-their-time group.

Regards,
    George

14. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Thank you sir!

I should also add, before anyone here double mortgages their house for a copy of "World".....two or three of the tracks are in the dreaded fake stereo. Otherwise, it's a great sounding comp - the dark label pressing being the best, IMO, if you can still find a clean copy somewhere.

15. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I'm pretty sure the Big Beat reissue is from the original tapes.

-D

16. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

Right, David, Marquis was just around the corner, so to speak.

I really meant how they remastered it with - the hardware. Not the digital sound I was hoping for.

George:(

17. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Dave Clark Five- "I Like It Like That"

The "I Like It Like That" in the Applebees commercial, IS The DC5 Version, no question about it.

I've only seen the TV spot, and I havent heard the radio spot, but I doubt very much that anything was remixed. Dave would have to drag the multis out of storage, dub to digital multi, etc,
    I'd bet they just did some PC editing in Pro Tools to create that segment.

Applebees must have ponied up the cash to Dave because when the Glad Corporation wanted to use "Glad all Over" for a network Tv spot, They were astounded at what Dave asked for. Maybe Dave is figuring out that in this economy, nobody is going to give him his price, so hes finally being reasonable.

a lot of the Dc5 songs would be great for commericals ....witness:

Elmers Glue "Bits And Pieces"
    Nike Sneakers "Catch Us If You Can"
    Hallmark "Because......I Love You"
    Burger King "Anyway You Want It"
    Suntan Lotion "Here Comes summer"

Ahh...I should have been in advertising.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.