Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings 3LP 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Excited to learn this is coming out in May 2017, first time on vinyl (the complete set), from Concord Music. Seriously hoping the mastering is great, probably not all analog cut but they do have 24 bit transfers to work with (if I remember correctly from the liner notes on the CD release from a few years back), that should allow for a great sounding release of this amazing music :)

[​IMG]

xilef regnu, johnnypaddock and e.s. like this.
  2. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It'a interesting to me that they changed the cover art from the CD version. This is much better (even if it does just rip off a Jackie McLean album cover).

kagan, AaronW and sberger like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, what's on it? There are three LP's worth of stuff???

4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

The CD version is two CDs (and quick addition there is about 2hr 15 min), so I would assume that there are 3lps worth of stuff.

5. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Should be the track listing of the original 2CD release:

April 12 recordings in trio formation.
    June 25 & 26 recordings in septet formation.
    July recordings in quartet formation.

Featuring Coltrane & Monk with Wilbur Ware, Art Blakey, Shadow Wilson, Ray Copeland, Coleman Hawkins...

CD 1
    "Monk's Mood (False start)" (Monk) – 0:55
    "Monk's Mood" (Monk) – 7:52
    "Crepuscule with Nellie (Take 1)" (Monk) – 4:34
    "Crepuscule with Nellie (Take 2)" (Monk) – 4:42
    "Crepuscule with Nellie (Breakdown)" (Monk) – 0:55
    "Blues for Tomorrow" (Gigi Gryce) – 13:33
    "Crepuscule with Nellie (Edited, retakes 4 & 5)" (Monk) – 4:46
    "Crepuscule with Nellie (Retake 6)" (Monk) – 4:39
    "Off Minor (Take 4)" (Monk) – 5:15
    "Off Minor (Take 5)" (Monk) – 5:07

CD 2
    "Abide with Me (Take 1)" (William Henry Monk) – 0:54
    "Abide with Me (Take 2)" (William Henry Monk) – 0:54
    "Epistrophy (Short)" (Monk, Kenny Clarke) – 3:09
    "Epistrophy" (Monk, Kenny Clarke) – 10:46
    "Well, You Needn't (Opening)" (Monk) – 1:26
    "Well You Needn't" (Monk) – 11:23
    "Ruby, My Dear (Hawkins)" (Monk) – 5:25
    "Ruby, My Dear (Trane)" (Monk) – 6:21
    "Nutty" (Monk) – 6:38
    "Trinkle, Tinkle" (Monk) – 6:39

There is never enough Monk & Coltrane for me, I'll just soak in every single note they ever played together :) Nice to have it on 3LP, but from the prices I'm seeing this is not going to be cheap, quite more than what I would expect :( Oh well.. we're not going to live forever.

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I hope they have enough sense to leave out the false starts and break downs.

DanBNash and AaronW like this.
  7. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I have the single CD and the 2CD set but only because it was a $4 cutout at Newbury. I luv both Coltrane and Monk but the repetitions are tedious after the first listen. Everyone is desperate for 'new' music and the record companies oblige when there's enough profit to be made but I urge a little self control until you're sure.

8. Maggie

Yes, there is the Monk's Music album on Riverside, the Monk with Coltrane album on Jazzland (less one solo track), the 13-minute "Blues for Tomorrow," "Monk's Mood" from the Thelonious Himself session, and about 15 minutes' worth of outtake material (mostly alternate takes of "Crepuscule").

9. Steve Hoffman

Coltrane isn't playing on BLUES FOR TOMORROW, is he?

Which version of Monk's Music is it? The close miked mono or the distant sounding stereo? THAT would have made a worthy double LP set.

10. Steve Hoffman

Wait, no, it was Monk himself that didn't play on the track. So????

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I believe that it was recorded at the same session as the Monk material with Coltrane and Hawkins. . . . (This from memory as I'm away from my copies of this).

The stereo version, not the mono, of Monk's Music is used.

Maggie likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

So, explain to me why BLUES FOR TOMORROW is on this? But the wonderful monaural MONK'S MUSIC is ignored? Makes no sense.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think they would have to have made three discs to include all the mono material, and that would probably mean they would not make the set at all as they would expect even smaller sales. That's my thought. This set did not sell well on cd and was discontinued fairly soon after release--many were able to get it at severely discounted prices. "Blues for Tomorrow" is presented here in stereo for the first time, I think it makes sense to include it as it's from the same session, apparently Monk took a nap and they took advantage of the time by recording this tune attributed to Gigi Gryce! They got to put it out in stereo for the first time and f they hadn't included it, some would complain. Jazz fans are a cranky lot.

The mono material you are espousing is available on the K2 version cd. I actually like both the mono and the stereo versions.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    sully12 and Maggie like this.
  14. Maggie

Of course Coltrane plays on "Blues for Tomorrow." He takes a 3 minute solo. Great track btw.

Probably this will be the stereo version of Monk's Music, as on the great CD set transferred by Joe Tarantino. Except the master of "Crepuscule" which only exists in mono.

I agree with you that the absence of the mono masters is regrettable, but the stereo is a pretty interesting mix. All that's really missing is the bass.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Lonson likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

First of all, any release of this stuff is a good release. But, 13 minutes on a record is given to a track Monk is not on? That's confusing.

Also, if you take all the takes of the stereo CREPUSCULE (did I spell that right?) and listen closely, you can hear the parts they used to make the released take (mono). All it would take is some editing which could easily be done. Then, you'd have the mono performance in stereo for the first time.

16. Maggie

Pretty sure you are mistaken about the released master of "Crepuscule," which is take 6. Take 6 only exists in mono. It is not a composite of incomplete takes.

There is a complete alternate take edited out of takes 4 and 5. This might have appeared on the original stereo LP, but it is a different performance from the mono take 6 (master).

17. Steve Hoffman

Well, I pulled my notes out and have this:

Off a reel marked: T/Monk/6/26/57. "Outs" Takes 1-5 unedited.
    Notes from O. K. state: "Take four piano section C+, sax section C-
    Combine on mono tape for LP. Take five piano section D, sax section end needs cutting. Edit two takes together, 4 and 5.

And the original tape had at least 3 edits in the song, so there is no take six. They might have assigned a number to it, but it doesn't exist, even on the mono version, it's pieced together from the earlier takes. I mastered this album several times, repaired every edit.

AlienRendel and Tommyboy like this.
  18. Maggie

This contradicts what Orrin Keepnews himself says in the notes to this set. He says he had them do another take. Maybe he is wrong, but (as I recall) the 4+5 composite is not the same, content-wise, as 6.

19. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I remember. If there was a take six, it would have been covered on the binaural reel as well, wouldn't it?

But there are at least 3 edits in the final mono song so something squeaks somewhere. I remember a phrase then an edit, another phrase then an edit, etc. Might have been 6 or so edits in the song.

Have you checked the sections of 1-3? It's been many years since I heard the stuff.

20. Maggie

6 is not made out of 1+2. There are timing differences between all the takes. 3 is a breakdown.

I could be wrong about 4+5 but you'd think either Tarantino or Keepnews would have noticed. Keepnews had an incredible memory.

21. GMcGilli

GMcGilli Forum Resident

From Elusive Disc

180g Vinyl 3LP Box Set!
    Remastered From Original Analog Sources!

For just a few months in 1957, two of the greatest musicians in history - Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane - recorded together in the studio. This deluxe, 3-LP, 180-gram vinyl box set captures all of those sessions in chronological order. Originally released on CD, this edition features newly remastered audio from the original analog sources. An accompanying booklet offers an insightful essay by the late Orrin Keepnews, who produced the original sessions.

Features:
    • 3LP Box Set
    • 180g Vinyl
    • Remastered from original analog sources
    • Booklet

Selections:
    Side A:

1. Monk's Mood (False Start)
    2. Monk's Mood
    3. Crepuscule with Nellie (Take 1)
    4. Crepuscule with Nellie (Take 2)
    5. Crepuscule with Nellie (breakdown)
    Side B:
    1. Blues for Tomorrow
    2. Crepuscule with Nellie (Edit/Retakes 4 & 5)
    Side C:
    1. Crepuscule with Nellie (Retake 6)
    2. Off Minor (Take 4)
    3. Off Minor (Take 5)
    4. Abide With me (Take 1)
    5. Abide With me
    Side D:
    1. Epistrophy (short version)
    2. Epistrophy
    3. Well, You Needn't (Opening)
    Side E:
    1. Well, you Needn't
    2. Ruby, My Dear
    Side F:
    1. Ruby, My Dear
    2. Nutty
    3. Trinkle, Tinkle

22. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Here's the information on the launching the newly minted imprint Craft Recordings, this deluxe 3-LP box set will feature unique 'file folder' packaging, original artwork, rare photos and 180-gram vinyl pressed at RTI from lacquers cut by George Horn at Fantasy Studios in Berkeley, CA. Rounding out the package is an insightful essay by the late Orrin Keepnews, who, as producer of the original sessions, was present at the creation of every note.
    Features the following collective personnel: Art Blakey, Wilbur Ware, Coleman Hawkins, Shadow Wilson, Ray Copeland and Gigi Gryce.

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

nice looking set.

24. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Can't wait for this.....any material is good material by these two!

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Has anyone picked this up? My copy is due to arrive tomorrow

LeeGriffin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.