Thick as a Brick newspaper album cover

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Danny, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I like the 25th Anniversary remaster and also have the brick version. It gets the sparkle of the acoustic guitar at the very beginning of the album right whereas the MoFi was far too dull IMHO (compared with the UK Island/Chrysalis vinyl).

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Was it.... cut out? ;)

The -1A I think. Not too hard to find generally. Its not quite as clear as an original UK, but no slouch either.

3. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Oh good, so I don't have to open my 25th annie sealed copy to see about this hokus pokus about it bean better than the Mofi... just go japanese...

4. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

John, so how does that version muster up to the side one of TAAB on Hoffman's Original Masters, gold Cd, in your opinion?

5. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

The original UK cover was a bit flimsier than the US version, and therefore looked more like a real newspaper when sitting in the racks. I read that Ian and pals spent several hectic days whipping up the articles to make the album deadline. The puns included the escaped laboratory "Non-Rabbits" and the WWII memoirs "Do Not See Me Rabbit". Several themes in the album spilled into the articles, such as the sand castle builder. Lots of tongue-in-cheek humour; a funny read.

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I always enjoyed the "review" of the album located just beneath the lyrics.

7. Oh yeah! The cool thing about it is they - or perhaps specifically Ian Anderson - demonstrate(s) with it to the actual critics reviewing the album, if they cared at all to go that far into it, what a real, constructive and music-knowledgeable record review should be like.

8. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

The UK Porky mastering is truely excellent, the best I've heard. I've got Canadian and US Reprise issues that are nice. I got rid of the MoFi vinyl after a few plays because it was just OK. I didn't find it sounded better that the early UK or Repise issues. Seemed they messed up the mastering on side two because after the drum soloing, the output seems to drop annoyingly. I've heard this on the MoFi CD two. Also disappointed MoFi didn't reproduce fully one of the best album covers ever.

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Can't help you there - never even seen one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.