Thin Lizzy - Sydney Opera House 1978 and Phil Lynott documentary due 24 June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, May 5, 2022.

1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back In Town Live At The Sydney Opera House October 1978 +
    Phil Lynott: Songs For While I’m Away

due June 24

[​IMG]

With their driving hooks, twin lead guitars, lyrics saturated in working class lore, and the charismatic presence of singer / songwriter / bassist Phil Lynott, Thin Lizzy are undeniably one of the most influential bands in Rock ‘N’ Roll.

Mercury Studios salutes their legacy with the release of Phil Lynott: Songs For While I’m Away + Thin Lizzy: The Boys Are Back In Town Live At The Sydney Opera House October 1978 on June 24. Pairing the acclaimed Phil Lynott documentary with a renowned live concert film, the set will be available as a 2xDVD+CD and Blu-ray+DVD+CD (with the Phil Lynott documentary on the Blu-ray).

Songs For While I’m Away chronicles the life and music of Phil Lynott, utilizing archival footage, interview snippets from the man himself, and music from both the Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott solo catalog. Notable conversations with Midge Ure (Ultravox / Thin Lizzy), Darren Wharton (Thin Lizzy), Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy), Adam Clayton (U2), Huey Lewis (Huey Lewis & The News), James Hetfield (Metallica) and others, as well as Phil’s wife Caroline Taraskevics and daughters Sarah Lynott and Cathleen Lynott reveal an all-encompassing look at Phil, from his 1950s’ upbringing as a Black boy in blue collar Dublin to his rise to fame. Fully exploring his history and rippling impact on music, the film examines Lynott as a singer, songwriter, poet, father, and cultural icon.

Complementing this film is The Boys Are Back In Town Live At The Sydney Opera House October 1978. Previously released on VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD, this version presents the show in the highest quality that has been made available, with not only cleaned up video and remixed audio from multi tracks, but five additional songs from this set that have never been officially released. This performance showcases the electricity of these original Rock ‘N’ Roll masters – Lynott, Scott Gorham (guitar / background vocals), Gary Moore (guitar / background vocals), and Mark Nauseef – delivering searing versions of their celebrated anthems, such as “Jailbreak”, “The Boys Are Back In Town”, “Bad Reputation” and “Me And The Boys”.

Unveiling the story of Phil Lynott, then backing up the band’s power and prowess with a dynamic performance, Phil Lynott: Songs For While I’m Away + Thin Lizzy The Boys Are Back In Town Live At The Sydney Opera House October 1978 echoes the importance of Thin Lizzy in the pantheon of rock music.

CD:
    1. Jailbreak
    2. Bad Reputation
    3. Warriors
    4. Don’t Believe A Word
    5. Waiting For An Alibi
    6. Still In Love With You
    7. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
    8. Cowboy Song
    9. The Boys Are Back In Town
    10. Suicide
    11. Are You Ready
    12. Baby Drives Me Crazy
    13. Me And The Boys
    DVD:

Thin Lizzy – The Boys Are Back In Town Live At The Sydney Opera House October 1978
    1. Jailbreak
    2. Bad Reputation
    3. Waiting For An Alibi
    4. Cowboy Song
    5. The Boys Are Back In Town
    6. Are You Ready
    7. Me And The Boys
    8. Baby Drives Me Crazy
    Lost Sydney Performances
    1. Warriors
    2. Don’t Believe A Word
    3. Still In Love With You
    4. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
    5. Suicide
    Note: there is an option on the DVD to play the songs with the Lost Performances in the order they were performed the day of the show

DVD & Blu Ray:
    Phil Lynott - Songs For While I’m Away – 113 minute documentary

https://www.amazon.com/Songs-While-Away-Boys-Back/dp/B09Z6VSW65/ref=mp_s_a_1_21?crid=E36G70BSY20I&keywords=thin+lizzy+dvd&qid=1651762723&sprefix=thin+luzzy,aps,203&sr=8-21&tag=shtv-20

https://www.amazon.com/Songs-While-...x=thin+lizzy+blu+ra,aps,83&sr=8-1&tag=shtv-20

laf848, Carlox, townsend and 26 others like this.
  2. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

If I’m reading that press release correctly, it looks like the concert itself is DVD only and not on Blu-ray. If that’s the case I do hope it’s lossless audio.

3. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Pre-ordered! Thanks for the info!

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

The video is only of broadcast quality, in which case Blu-ray would be redundant.

5. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

One word..."Warriors"!

6. Mr Wensleydale

Yes, I know but Blu-Ray uses better video compression, so it should still look better on BD despite its SD origins.

Carlox, R. Cat Conrad, ARK and 7 others like this.
  7. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

pre ordered the blu ray set
    can't wait to get it !

8. Mooglander

Mooglander Forum Resident

I took the Blu-ray option because it's only another $7! :thumbsup:

longdist01 and Mr Wensleydale like this.
  9. Mr Wensleydale

Yeah, I’ll be getting that as well :righton:

longdist01, Mooglander and brankin172 like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

They can do some really nice stuff with restoration these days, and if the Sydney concert can be played as 1 concert, this will be purchased as soon as I have the dollars.

longdist01, Weirwolfe and Flaevius like this.
  11. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Great news! One of my favourite Lizzy shows...Gary Moore is unbelievable in that set.

Get in!!!

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's a huge draw for me, Moore with Lizzy in concert, on video.... not sure it could get better than that.

Carlox, longdist01, RAZORMADE and 2 others like this.
  13. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member Thread Starter

14. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

My favourite version of "Still In Love With You"!

dixiedixie69 likes this.
  15. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I'm in that photo somewhere :)

16. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Wow this is a pleasant surprise considering I thought the upgraded video was not available.

Instant order of the Blueray and CD. Looking forward to finally have a decent audio of that concert as pro recorded Moore shows are rare.

longdist01 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  17. classicrocker

Not to mention hopefully HD sound quality

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  18. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

That's my hope!

classicrocker likes this.
  19. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

The video is only taken from a broadcast copy, so I doubt it’ll be that good (although it apparently is better than the footage leaked to YouTube).

The real draw is the audio, which has been mixed from the original multitracks for the first time. So it should sound brilliant.

20. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

Fortunate to catch the Melbourne leg of this tour at the Myer Music Bowl. Free concert sponsored by local radio ( 3XY???)Warm evening, aromatic cigarettes, Phillip totally ruling the night. It has been suggested there were a few little Phillips birthed 9 months later, and the odd Gorham. Good times.

JulesRules, Zeptana 79, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Already pre-ordered, can't wait!!!!

22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

yes that's a no-brainer

23. Mark From Eire

Mark From Eire Forum Resident

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This is a must buy.

25. classicrocker

Agreed but I guess we will see what the cleaned up video looks like. In any case even if the new cut is not that much better than the original it just exciting that we are getting the bonus material.

Hopefully they took the time to use HD audio for the Blueray and not just the regular CD quality audio.

longdist01 likes this.