Things you may never see again (after gettig rid of VHS) *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Keith V, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wasn't that like a bellweather acting opportunity for aging comedians back in the 70's? Playing a mentally challenged person who was somehow key to the mystery on shows like The Streets of San Francisco or The Rockford Files? Shecky Green, Buddy Hackett, guys like that. 'Bill' was probably the culmination. Not long ago, there would have been an entire website devoted to something like that. Ah memories.

Keith V likes this.
  2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually, Dennis Quaid’s character was Barry Morrow (who met and made Bill) went on to make Rain Man. For what that’s worth…

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ah, the good old days! ; )

asdf35 likes this.
  5. Michael

and maybe one day we'll be free of drunks on the road driving drunk and...

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  6. dude

dude Senior Member

I taped massive amounts of music related and other stuff from tv in the 80's and 90's that I still have. I must have a good amount that is still not on youtube. Just a quick glance at my list which I haven't looked at in a long time, alphabetically under the letter A for example, I found A.J. Croce Austin City Limits '96 and Arcangels ABC's In Concert which don't appear to be online or on dvd. Having them doesn't necessarily mean I will ever see them again though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  7. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Big Black - Pig Pile, Live or The Last Blast. Have them all on VHS

The Beast of I.R.S. too.

8. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

The Eurythmics video album of Savage.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Great tribute to Buddy Holly with Marshall Crenshaw, Joe Ely, etc.
    One of Rod's best 80's performances:
    (he lays back and smolders) I had it perfect quality, sigh

Robert Palmer/Mavis Staples duet on Letterman

10. glittering-girl

glittering-girl Beatles/Who/Todd R.: My Mount Rushmore of Rock

I have Compleat Beatles on laser disc but no way to play it. :( I also have VHS tapes of the 4 episodes of a series called Century City that aired on CBS (Canada got all 9, I think). On YT, I think, but never on DVD.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

We are actually in a golden age of that type of movie being released on blu-ray and 4k. Still, some of them are bound to get left behind.

12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Not sure if the U2 VHS 'Interference Videos and Cameos' from 1992 was ever released somewhere as bonus on dvd?

13. rockingox

rockingox Forum Resident

I've been collecting electronic crap for darn near 50 years, almost all of which are now hopelessly obsolete. First there was Beta, the SuperBeta and Digital Super Beta. I've been through 4-track and 8-track and Cassettes for music. Then of course, there was the MiniDisc, which I still think was much better than it was ever given credit for. Where music is concerned, I've been through home-recorded CDs, and recorded CDs in general are now pretty much limited to Bill Buster's recent releases. Now with all this Blu-Ray and 4D stuff, my home-recorded and store-bought DVDs are pretty much the "end of the line.

JohnBeas likes this.
  14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I taped a LOT of episodes of Northern Exposure during its first syndicated run back in the mid 90s, and I didn't realize how difficult it would be to get them with the original music once the DVDs came out. Sadly, I left all those tapes behind after Katrina...

15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I recorded all of Woodstock '94 on VHS. A lot of that was excellent and I wish I still had it.

64FALCON and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  16. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

One thing I will never see again: cardboard boxes full of cassettes I don't want to look at or deal with.

A handful is kept (mostly live TV concerts) but all the dreadful copies, pan-scan and otherwise, of good films are thankfully gone.
    All I had to do to remind myself why I don't want them anymore was to put a commercial VHS copy of "Backdraft" in the player and watch part of it on the 65-inch...:laugh:

A few treasured VHS tapes are the copies that were recorded live years ago, as back-up for the show masters of jobs where I was the camera operator.
    Those contain shows and events I would not have otherwise. They have been digitized, but I keep the originals.

C.

64FALCON likes this.
  17. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Did Black Sabbaths Live "Cross Purposes" has it seen a DVD release yet ?

18. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Claus, if you were/are living in the U.S. "Backdraft" was released on a Widescreen VHS tape. → That was one movie you needn't have been 'stuck' with a pan-and- scan version on tape unlike many other films where only a 'Full Frame' or 'pan-and-scan' version was made available on tape.

I still have my aging "2001 MOVIES UNLIMITED VIDEO CATALOG" with only VHS tape listings in it. At the time, the DVD catalog issue from Movies Unlimited was still separate from the VHS catalog.

Movies Unlimited combined them a couple of years later, but for the 2001 Catalog you could take your pick of a VHS or a DVD order book. The VHS Catalog is about 820 pages and there are lots of listings for low-grade or obscure made-for-cable /and/ made-for-basic-cable movies in there that likely haven't seen the light of day on disc. And probably won't.

Under the 'HORROR' section of the catalog there was a shedload of 'made-for-video' horrors on sale. I can look through the 'Horror' section and be amazed at all the no-budget swill for sale on various junky labels.

MARRIAGE OF A YOUNG STOCKBROKER (1971) and WELCOME TO ARROW BEACH (1974) were both released by Magnetic Video in the late 1970s. I've not seen them re-issued since. I have seen bootlegs of "Arrow Beach" for sale, tho.

I've got this ALLIED ARTISTS VIDEO CORP. tape of " . . . And Millions Will Die" (1973) with Leslie Nielsen, Susan Strasberg and Richard Basehart. It was either issued by ALLIED in 1978 or '79 prior to September because Allied went bankrupt in September of 1979. Never seen another copy of this film. Also known as " . . . And Millions Die".

---------------------------------------------------

The 1966 made-for-television movie THE DOOMSDAY FLIGHT was issued in 1986 on 'MCA Home Video'. I'm surprised this movie even got a video release at all, but I've not seen any further releases of this film on a later VHS re-issue or on DVD or Blu-Ray.

MCA released a couple other TVM's on tape I've not seen re-issued. Maybe I've missed them? It's impossible to keep track of every movie that was first released on tape and then maybe on DVD, Blu-Ray or 4k. Anyway, these TVMs issued on VHS by MCA I've not seen again:

SILENT NIGHT, LONELY NIGHT (1969-Tvm)
    MY SWEET CHARLIE (1970-Tvm)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  19. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Clownhouse for obvious reasons. Still, an atmospheric slasher featuring future Oscar winner Sam Rockwell's debut. It was on DVD for a millisecond before getting pulled.

64FALCON likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I can beat that: Getting rid of all my vinyl in 1990 and then paying to replace it all over 2005-present trumps your experience pal! Just kidding of course. But for me it’s true.

Actually, a twist to your story is I have kept 50 laserdiscs thinking they would never be reissued, and being concerts they pretty much haven’t. But if it makes you feel any better I haven’t watched a single one since I switched to DVD so many years ago I can’t even guess.

Keith V likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Looking far more average on VHS.

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

"Tales From The Far Side I and II". Only released on VHS and copies for sale are costly.

23. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

oh you can't say that here in la la land world. you'll be deleted and etc.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

: (

25. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

what about Live Aid? i taped hours and hours of it on vhs. did that make it to dvd?