Thinking about adding a cassette deck to my set-up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by malagacoolers, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

CDING isn't even a word! Why didn't they call it SACD 90 or MACDMAX 100 or MA MAXCD 100 or even SA WIPESTHEBUTTSOFALLOTHERS 100. I know all long name guys but better than "CDING."

Supposedly the new tapes could record more high frequency crap on the tape. But that is really up to the machine.

2. john morris

Oh no. But I heard there was some rule that no company could make any tapes that were chrome or Metal because of the waste products that were produced in their manufacture. Or is it limited in small numbers?

I did do 5.1 mixes for some films (no one saw), television, commercials and albums but I really don't know much about current video standard formats. Who here does? I know they were heavily using D1 tapes up to 10 years ago. Not sure now.

Nope. Metal and chrome tapes are dead. Unless they find a more environmentally friendly way to make them. Or perhaps a new tape format. We can call it Type 5. Maybe a copper or nickel tape?

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I’m amazed how great my 30 year old mixed tapes sound.

john morris likes this.
  4. john morris

I wish I could say the same for my 1989 - 1993, 14 bit, 44.1 khz 1/2 inch digital tapes. All made on the EP mode. None of them play now. Back in the 1990's I managed to transfer a few 14 bit stereo masters to AFM VHS on the SP mode. Before those tapes mistracked badly and became useless I made another VHS HI-FI copy. Some I made to the Nak 581 with Dolby B. by 2006 I was able to transfer those to CD. But a few years later the compact disks had problems...ahhh! A Nightmare!! I should have purchased a DAT. Well I did that and that ended up worse. But it was a used PRO DAT. One of those Pro 1990 $2000 DAT machines. I got it for $75. Trouble. It ate my DAT tapes. And in 2006 DAT Tapes were not cheap.

Not fun. I should have purchased two good 3 head cassette decks. I had lots of money back then.

5. john morris

The album DOUBLE VISION came out in 1978. It was Foreigner's 2nd LP. Or do you mean another album?

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Not everyone buys vinyl because they think it sounds better than digital, I sure don't, in fact I doubt what you claim would have much of an impact on vinyl sales or collecting.

DRM and Schoolmaster Bones like this.
  7. macster

macster Forum Resident

Kinda hard to take him serious when you can't see his profile. :confused:

Just saying

M~

DRM likes this.
  8. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

do you have a lot of cassette's? if not and you are just "getting" into it ... there are other mediums out there that sound profoundly better then cassette. now, if you have a collection of 500+ cassettes that is something entirely different ... and in that case save your money and find a well cared for Nakamichi Dragon and forget about it.

9. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Foreigner is my favorite rock pop band with Lou Gramm. Besides that talking about David Sanborn and Bob James collaboration - double vision album - I believe its 1986. What a talent combination with Bob James distinctive rock piano and Sanborn's alto sax. Of course my main man Al Jarreau on vocals. I first heard it on the radio station KUTE in Torrance Calif. By the way got my assembled amp last Thursday. Finally got me a 14 watt ghetto blaster. My neighbor lives 8 houses away said he heard me playing at 6am after new year. Its just amazing with these tapes!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    DRM likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Aaah... tried recording on that tdk tape cd for the first time. I thought my recorder was busted...
    Its probably the latest but not the greatest.......:biglaugh:

anorak2 likes this.
  11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

95% of my 1000 tapes are TDK

12. Classic Car Guy

which ones?

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Across the board from SA to MA-XG

14. Classic Car Guy

Theyre very expensive then and a lot more now. I only have a few max for master recording.
    Hopefully NAC will come out with the new formulas. I'm waiting for their high bias but I might get 50 packs of 90 mins.
    They came out with a normal bias. its in a better category. I just have a bad experience with tapes that leaves "powdery" surface.

15. Classic Car Guy

$85 bucks? those guys lost their mind..?
    There was a guy on ebay that was selling an excellent condition tapes and the picture was taken right next to a trash can.....:biglaugh:

john morris likes this.
  16. Classic Car Guy

Bro I need parts for my other deck which is an idler tire. I been waiting for my order since December 1 and still not here. I need warp speed. You know any place in the US?

OD = 15.6 mm
    ID=10.7 mm
    Height = 2 mm

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

bever70, john morris and clhboa like this.
  18. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

TDK SA are fine and were good value at the time. They were my go-to cassette brand in the 90s.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Pre 1988, great. Crease prone past 1988. Especially C 90. Maxell XL II was for me more reliable over the years. Older 1976-1987 SA was great tape.

20. Classic Car Guy

pretty much those years are great. Ive used a lot of late 70's SA. they were very good but it doesn't really excite me as the sound of the 80's especially the specific ones I showed in the sa shootout picture. I'm not really sure what is the difference for physically the media color is the same besides early 80's has a very shiny surface. The punch is very natural and sounds like a million bucks. Getting ridiculously expensive and harder to find now.
    what about basf? any luck with those?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  21. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

This guy has quite a few to choose from. He's been a dealer in blank tapes for quite a while now...

| eBay Stores

chilinvilin likes this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

yeah that guy definitely has mountains of cassettes.

clhboa likes this.
  23. john morris

24. john morris

If it was for reel to reel I could help but cassette parts are not my thing. I will ask Uncle Jack (Darth Azimuth). I think Uncle got some rare cassette parts from the states a few years go for our Nak Dragons....Or was that Tokyo? This may take awhile. I will let you know.

25. john morris

Now! Now! Calm down. Put down the bazooka! That isn't gonna help the situation.

Seriously, they are charging what the market will bare. This is what Type 4 tapes go for on Amazon.ca. No really! I know a fellow engineer who still uses cassettes and he refuses to use anything but Metal. Last month he purchased $1500 USD worth of Type 4 tapes. I think it was a crate of 200. He got them cheap. And then he comes to me for money. I haven't cut my hair in 15 years ( Nazarite vow) does it look like I have money?

5 years from now $85 will seem cheap compared to what the price will be by then.

On Amazon.ca was a new (still in box) JVC Super-VHS editing VCR for $3000. Whatever the market will bare. Can you get this cheaper on Ebay? Probably. Back in 2006 I purchased that unit for $350.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.