Those that returned to SS after owning tubes/valves, why the return?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithP56, Jan 15, 2022.

1. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I have two good integrated amps. One tube and one SS. I switch them in and out according to my mood typically. Meaning a couple times a year. This whole year I've been on my SS amp because I need to get a tube socket replaced in that amp.

Have to say the Tube Amp sounds better but its frustrating that it takes about 45 minutes to really sound its best. My SS amp sounds the same because I leave it on per manufacturer recommendation.

I have a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum v1 and a Naim Nait 5si.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

To me you get tighter bass and better low-end grip overall with SS but the trade offs just aren't worth it in the loss of soundstage, holographic imaging, air, and lucid presentation. So it's all about listening priorities....what do you value most in your listening experience?

3. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Cost of ownership is indeed a factor with tubed gear and is but one reason I balked for years before making a purchase. I decided on a Decware SE84UFO which only uses 4 tubes, all easy to source and affordable. Of course you can spend a small fortune on NOS tubes but it's certainly not necessary.

fmfxray373, Snargfarg and Old Rusty like this.
  4. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Same sentiment here when I tried to switched onto Parasound SS amp (2125 v2) with my tube preamp. Just didn't grabbed me like the tube amp did. Tried this tube/SS setup twice (a year apart) thinking maybe its just wasn't a good day the first time - ended with the same impression both times. Of course, I ran this set up for at least a few days each time to ensure it got its run-in time together and adjust my hearing.

Thought of going with the Benchmark AHB2 this year, but the acquirement of the Doge 10 integrated tube amp early on this year sideline the SS route indefinitely. Truly enjoying the sound and music coming out of the Doge. I don't mind the hassle and cost of owning tubes at the moment - I'll do so while I still can both financially and physically. I am pretty sure I will graduate to something simpler later in life. Those are my plans anyways. Till then, tube-life here.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    gakerty, LeBud and timind like this.
  5. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

And is why I use a subwoofer .. best of both worlds. I suppose my system is really a hybrid tube/ss affair.

Haecate likes this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Wow, if you're missing all that with SS I'd have to ask what you were running, I'm getting a pretty lucid presentation with SS :) as I did with tubes. There's more than one way to get a wide soundstage, good imaging, etc with SS too, but of course YMMV. Just like tubes though, quality of gear and synergy matters....

7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

SS sounds best to my ears power amp wise. I use tubes in the preamp in one system and I do like this paired with SS power amp.

Old Rusty and TheVinylAddict like this.
  8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

NOS tubes are getting more expensive, and harder to find. Some of the new tubes sound excellent, but they just don't last as long. The expense and shorter interval between retubing was starting to wear on me.

I don't know that I've given up on tubes, but I'm taking a break from them.

SandAndGlass, jusbe, timind and 2 others like this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

I now find tube gear more fatiguing but only in comparison to SS of ultra-low distortion. That, and I’ve yet to hear a tube amp that can match the highs and bass extension of the best SS.

jusbe, morinix, Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. macster

macster Forum Resident

I switched due to; overall ease of use, mental well being, power consumption and being able to turn it on and off without waiting. I enjoy the remote and was presently surprised by the sonics. Class D and Vandersteen 3A Signatures are a match made in heaven. The system really sings now.

M~

11. levimax

levimax Forum Resident

I used to switch from tubes to SS in the summer because tubes heated up the room so much. After doing this a few time I realized amps (as long as they are working correctly) make little if any difference and SS amps are cheaper, quieter, more powerful, more reliable and don't heat up the room. Now I focus my attention on speakers and room as that seems to be where the real differences are.

aunitedlemon, BRick, Melvin and 2 others like this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Helom and timind like this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

14. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I'm already prepared to put my solid state Plinius 9200 integrated amp in my system for June, July and August. Given the hi-fi is in my living room, it uses 42 tubes, and I much prefer open windows to air conditioning, I don't think I have another choice.

Tajo1960, macster and Melvin like this.
  15. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I also acquired a Doge10 last year and it was good enough for me to sell my Sugden A21 Sig... which is no slouch.
    Changed the stock tubes so I'm good for awhile ... put in Gold Lion KT88's which are a nice upgrade.

BTW - It's -26 C here in Ottawa today , so the extra heat generated by the amp is much welcome ;>)

16. TheVinylAddict

One benefit about tube amps though - you can tube roll and modify your sound profile to your liking (or maybe not). That's a nice feature, and something that attracted me to the choice.

Since I've ultimately decided SS is for me, I get a similar experience (ability to alter the sound profile) by running multiple TT's (four) and running different cartridges / phono pre's. So cartridge swapping on multiple TT's / pre's is my SS equivalent to tube rolling. :) So I get my fix, and dump all the money I would have spent on tubes on cartridges anyway!

KWJ2, gakerty and timind like this.
  17. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

That is actually another reason I like my cheap TC-750, the channel balance is much better than I was able to get with tubes. I think were I to stick with tubes, I'd need to do a better job matching, or have a balance control I could dedicate to vinyl.

18. Ontheone

Agree on the gear synergy....especially the speakers with the amp. My comparisons have been using a PassXA30.8 and Sugden A21SE paired with DeVore O/96 speakers. The LM805ia, Luxman MQ-88uC and Leben CS-300xs all sound better head-to-head against those very nice SS amps using the same O/96's. Don't get me wrong, the Pass and Sugden sound really nice but these three tube amps all sound even better to my ears.

tlowe, gakerty and TheVinylAddict like this.
  19. Classic Car Guy

20. TheVinylAddict

Started watching, made it about 6 min in, looked to be setting up as a decent discussion / presentation --- but if I didn't want to invest another 37 min to finish watching, could you summarize what the conclusion / takeaway was from this?

21. TheVinylAddict

That's why they play the game, the outcome is never certain! Thanks for sharing, that's some nice SS gear you were running, now I would love to hear your tube system! :)

Ontheone likes this.
  22. Classic Car Guy

Listen to the quick side by side demo on posting #44 start on time 4:14 (right before you)
    The guy on the first video is discussing how wonderful the solid state is better than tube amps.
    But on the demo #44 is a different story...

23. Ontheone

And I have no doubt that using a different speaker pairing that the SS amps would sound better. The O/96's have a high and flat impedance which works so well with tubes - especially SETs and triode circuits. I never was able to try these three tube amps when I was running a pair of Spendor D7's but I strongly suspect the D7's would be driven much more dynamically with the SS amps than the tubes - and for rock music would really shine. That Pass XA30.8 amp sounded fantastic with the D7's which loved to be pushed when the frequencies dipped into the 4ohm range of the speaker curve.

gakerty, timind and TheVinylAddict like this.
  24. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I think I’ve found the happy balance. In my case as I’ve stated before, good tube preamplifier for the sweetness and finesse paired with a great SS power amplifier to provide the grunt and to really bring out bass depth, speed, articulation and slam attributions.
    Works really great for me.

Tajo1960 and KWJ2 like this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Hybrid systems like that can work very well. Though a synergistic combo with no blatant weaknesses required a lot of trial and error IME.

Tajo1960, KWJ2, Khorn and 1 other person like this.