Thoughts about tubes and the Cronus Magnum II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

3. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

4. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

The Rogue Cronus Magnum is a fantastic amp with lots of power and an incredible, rich and full sound. The III by all accounts takes it to another level. I will be doing the upgrade.

Save up an extra grand and go for it. Don't think you'll be sorry.

5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I enjoyed a cm2 for a couple years before upgrading.

Mine was used-no hum through various speakers. I did not use the headphone jack and really thought the phono stage was average-but did not buy it for that.

loved ampex in the pre 12au7 slot but rolling other stuff is silly imo.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

I returned the CMII to the dealer tonight. They said they were going to look into the hums.

I brought home a Rogue RP-1 preamp to try with the power stage on my HK990. Now I'm getting a hum (through the speakers) from the RP-1!

7. Lebowski

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yikes!

9. Lebowski

Ugh. There it is, every time a song ends: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

Not really surprised, however, it appears your HK floats the earth ground, so you might try attaching a wire from its phono section ground lug to the ground socket of a nearby outlet.

JNTEX likes this.
  11. Lebowski

Yeah maybe I will. But this was happening with the CMII also (the HK was plugged in but not connected to CMII in any way). This was not happening with any of the other amps I’ve tried lately.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Hum was the bane of any Rogue products that have been through my system. I've heard of similar accounts from countless others, which is why I said I'm not surprised. Still, I wouldn't rule out a ground loop since they use different grounding schemes. My Yamaha and Cayin are silent on their own, but when paired together I get a loud hum.

Lebowski likes this.
  13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

This is my vote as well.

how is your ground? Rod?

14. Lebowski

The grounding of our electrical system? Yup, big ol' copper rod driven into the ground. Only about 2 years old.

JNTEX likes this.
  15. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

My Rogue Cronus is hooked up to stereo M&K subs so if it was a hummer at full blast you would definitely hear it.
    It is so quiet you can't even tell it is turned on---at full volume!
    The phono section is NOT state of the art but it sounds like a good $400 phono pre and while it makes some noise you have to turn it to full volume to hear it hum faintly.
    Compared to other phono sections I have owned it is more like a good outboard unit and better sounding and much quieter than the one I ordered from Bryston with my BP25 pre.
    I have replaced the stock center 12AU7 with a Mullard but haven't found any other improvement swapping tubes around.
    Stock it was making a slight white noise "hiss" and a little bit of hum and that one Mullard 12AU7 improved the tone while lowering the noise to where it is now.
    At this point I'm thrilled with the performance this high value product has demonstrated over the last year.
    Careful attention to grounding is par for the course with tube amps and I took my time getting it hooked up correctly.
    I remember swapping several different interconnects looking for improvements in shielding to get it to how quiet it is now.
    By the way I have a low output moving coil phono setup using Denon DL103r cartridge with K&K trannies.
    It takes a lot of gain to run such a cartridge and most guys would be thrilled at how much bang I am getting for the buck...
    A defective Cronus might be a problem but mine is one of the best amps I have ever owned and that covers a lot of territory.
    The tubes get hot but not dangerously so and no hotter than I expect KT120s to run.
    Check my profile if you are curious about what I consider good gear.
    Maybe I know more about setups than some folks but that is because I am a professional installation expert by trade.
    Some folks have problems sorting out gear---but I am used to the drill by now.
    If you love tubes and that sweet musical sound---the Rogue Cronus II is no slouch and a true high end bargain IMHO.

bajaed likes this.
  16. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I would still prob verify if your able to replicate him with more than one piece of valve equipment

17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Another sure fire way for me to hear something on an electrical circuit through a tube amp-plug a led lamp or light on the same circuit

Mambo Sun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.