Thoughts on latter day Queen? (A Kind of Magic onward)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Osato, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It just means that regardless of personal opinion, good or bad, Queen's music has aged very well.

Michael Rose likes this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'll second this with you, actually. Not sure what it is about the track, but it manages to be atmospheric and dancy at the same time. It's almost a trance track in some ways, which is probably what does the job for me. I can deal with Queen doing "club" music because it's Queen more than because I like club music. On the other hand, I have a lot of time for trance, so there we are...

The switch-over with Brian really seemed to be when he felt he had to be the "torch bearer" for the hard rock side of things. I mean, this is the guy who wrote "Long Away" and suddenly he's trying to be Lemmy or something? Give me a break!

Personally, I dig my Brian May well-rounded and found that the rockers and the mellower (or even experimental) tracks actually strengthened one another. Once it became "all rawk, all the time," it was more a case of diminishing returns.

That said, I still dig, "I Can't Live with You." Freddie really sells that one in a way that "Headlong" and "The Hitman" never manage... Though I will admit that I do think there's a good song somewhere inside of "Headlong," but I don't think its official arrangement is the best presentation.

You know, I could really see that being a huge upgrade on the song. Never thought of it before. Nice to imagine an alternate universe where some acoustic piano was featured on Innuendo as a welcome call-back on the one track that offered the same kind of humor as "Seaside Rendezvous" and the like...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.