Thoughts on the Beatles’ Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

I find it very entertaining and the sound is great too. Surprised at how well it works. Frankly I was expecting something much less.
    Not a replacement for the original albums and their mixes, sequences, but as an extra thing, Love is very nice to have!

2. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

I think they're a great band darling

3. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Well played pet.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I luuurve it. No, really, it's great. Kinda controversial around here, messing with the Holy Grail, but it's one of those CD's you have listen to straight through with no skipping, because all of the songs are connected. And, honestly, we could all use a little Love in our lives.

NunoBento, wwright, Exotiki and 6 others like this.
  5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think it's an absolute joy. Several moments on there where still, to this day, it gets a fist pump when the payoffs hit.

wwright, Exotiki, andrewskyDE and 5 others like this.
  6. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

LOVE LOVE LOVE the 5.1.

7. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Have played the CD twice. Saw the show in Las Vegas. It's like visiting a strange and different reality. Ok place to visit once or twice, but I would not want to live there.

clhboa, Keith V and bataclan2002 like this.
  8. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Neat listen once. Never sawa the need to go back to it, though I own the CD.

9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It's The Beatles and it's in surround sound, what more could you want..

10. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

do i really need the original albums, anthologies, etc?

john said all i needed was love.

(sorry.)

smitquest

11. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Go see the show. Now.

wwright, Exotiki, jammincrowe and 4 others like this.
  12. It's fun to hear in surround and it's fun to guess which songs all the different bits come from. Of course I prefer the original albums, but this makes for a nice change once in a while.

13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The best outcome Beatles project that Giles Martin has worked on, it's been a steady downhill slide ever since then.

The mashups were interesting to hear for a time or two every few years. It's not something I regularly enjoy listening to because the whole thing is just a tease. I'd prefer to hear the whole songs sound like this un-mashed for enjoyment listening. Years later that could have come true, but then suddenly he is incapable of making a decent surround mix anymore. Even the few tracks on Love that play through almost as the singular song have something that ends up throwing it off as a complete un-futzed-with song.

Giles totally lost his Beatles mixing skills after this job, I haven't been impressed with anything he has done since...not that I was greatly impressed with Love either, more tantalized by the possibilities in better hands.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Very enjoyable in 5.1 as is the show. Don't have much use for the stereo version, other than it being the definitive Walrus.

thgord, Big Train and SteelyNJ like this.
  15. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

The complete songs are worth the price of admission.
    Eleanor Rigby is a cool version.
    Too bad the rest of the songs haven’t been mixed with these sonics.

16. thos

thos Forum Resident

It's only Love, and that is all.

I think it's great!

Shaddam IV likes this.
  17. richarm

richarm Senior Member

As a Beatles lover you'll never see a better show. I saw it 11 years ago and it still lives long in the memory.

wwright, JMR, milankey and 2 others like this.
  18. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

the surround mix is wonderful. i find more adventurous than the recent pepper. but then he was doing something unique that wouldn't be compared to a single work like pepper or the upcoming white album so i imagine he felt he had more leeway.

Morton LaBongo and Shaddam IV like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

An enjoyable novelty but not something I go back to with great frequency. As others have noted, I do wish that GM was still doing immersive 5.1 mixes like this.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

When I first got it I tried jumping around tracks to get a quick feel of the project and was confused by it. I wasn't impressed and left it for awhile. Then one day I gave it a spin from beginning to end and absolutely loved it. I've seen the show three times since. Great show.

JeffMo, andrewskyDE, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's not "The Beatles" music...but it's a joyful souvenir of the music - every line, every fripperie, every lyric that stuck a chord with us when we were developing our positions and opinions and passions...and changed forever so much about the music we were going to get all around us for the rest of our lives.

This was a hard project to get behind at the outset, Cirque de Soleil co-opting that special affinity we have personally with these lads; pixillating the works and throwing it back at us onstage, to the sights and actions of a theater company who has no special connection with OUR relationship with The Beatles, no matter how hot they were at the turn of the century? Hah - you might as well expect the classical musical world to accept Blue Man Group interpreting Wagner (although, yeah...that would be hot...!).

Faced with the reality that something wonderful could come of this if they only took it seriously, and collaborated with Cirque on this project, to share the vision, the Curators of the most signifncant musicians of our time, really stepped up, in their counter-vision, their freedom to not keep the boys sealed in amber like prehistoric mosquitos, and so when it was time to throw it all back at us onstage, it wasn't as unsympathetic "artiste" blasphemy - it was...confetti. Unexpected, random, joyful "theater as confetti". They suceeded in a vision of the excitement, the freeing experience, and yes, the entire library of Beatles imagination - not Beatles As Stodgy Icons.

So, I guess it's okay.

Zack and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I caught the show a few years back on my honeymoon. I dug it a lot. I would have rather it been more...chronological. Picked up the cd later and it's alright.

23. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Terribly well-done. Could easily been a disaster, but I think it's great fun. Doesn't degrade their legacy one bit; I think it enhances it by showing how well all of these songs hold up to this kind of treatment.

24. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

What George and Giles did to make the Love album is incredible. One song that is forever changed for me is Mr. Kite. Every time I hear it I want it to go into the I Want You riff at the end.

25. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I saw the show a few weeks after it opened. To prepare, I bought an enormous cup of vodka something (called "A Hard Days Night" I think) at the concessions stand. I was already hammered, but that drink did me in. I remember the letters falling down during "While My Guitar". I think. It was great, loved it. I'm pretty sure about that.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.