Three Dog Night : Their Great Singles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Apr 26, 2024.

1. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I’ve been through three different CD compilation sets of TDN and the sound quality is frustratingly disappointing. My understanding is that the master tapes don’t exist of their music; but it could really use some clarifying/remixing to give it the sparkle it deserves. It would be great if the MAL process used for The Beatles early material could be expanded over to that of other bands/artists. TDN would be prime contenders, IMO.

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

The 'Celebate' set sounds good to me but I'm no audiophile.

Jarleboy, jhm and jeffrey walsh like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Spent many a day trying to find out what Beatles album it was on. All in vain of course.

5. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I’ve had the same thought, but about “Family of Man”. That record really kicks *** by the outro.

Rick H., Pierino, souldeep69 and 2 others like this.
  6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

No version I've heard of this song has come close to this one, including the original version from the show.
    One of my favorite TDN songs, amazing arrangement and Negron really soars with this one :D

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

There are threads here that discuss the various hits packages. They were a good guide for me.

8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Totally agree. I never have gotten tired of hearing this, from the first time forward (which was when it was released).

9. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

lol I think you meant "Celebrate" haha :laugh:

10. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

TDN was my first concert back in 1971 in Albuquerque. Great show! My two favorite songs by them are The Show Must Go On and Out In The Country. Great band!

11. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

They did a phenomenal version of Its for you, incredible harmony. Much better than Cilla’s version imo.

12. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Yes, he does soar...that last note he hits at the end is genuinely spine-chilling!

13. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

This is an interesting documentary on 3 dog night:

14. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

Totally agree. Their cover of Joe Cocker’s ‘Put Out The Light’ would have made a nice single.

Paul Van and Mickactual like this.
  15. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Big Three Dog Night fan here. I managed to grab all of the original studio albums up to Cyan (Which was still sealed), And most of the 45's on the ABC Dunhill label.
    Just about all of them are nice clean copies, Which are hard to find. Those old Dunhill pressings can look almost new, And after a good cleaning still sound noisy, And sometimes on dynoflex.

The 45's are cool because a lot of the mono 45 mixes differ from the stereo lp versions. More punchier sounding also.
    I don't think the masters are lost, But just some of the multi track tapes to remix them. Wish I was wrong about that. And not to sure about the masters for the 45's.

Grab those old 45's while you can. :)

Jarleboy, Jon H. and CliffL like this.
  16. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

I'd read their stuff was among the tapes lost in the 2008 Universal fire. Not sure exactly what was lost or what survived, but the Celebrate 2-CD set and all of the 2013 Japanese SHM-CD's sound fantastic.

17. stevephillips

stevephillips Forum Resident

I love their singles but have to disagree. Their deep cuts are killer.
    One of my all time favorite groups since I was 10. Came on board
    from the beginning when "One" hit AM radio.

18. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

My favorite album of theirs is the self titled (1st) album. It is chocked full of outstanding tracks. Great covers of the Band's Chest Fever and Try A Little Tenderness which borrows from Otis' version.

Jim N., bill44, stevephillips and 2 others like this.
  19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

A number of the covers that stayed as album cuts would have performed well as singles. Two that come to mind are My Old Kentucky Home and Sitting In Limbo.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

Another fantastic deep cut from Hard Labor: I'd Be So Happy. Love the Mellotron...and those vocals!

21. stevephillips

stevephillips Forum Resident

This original instrumental is a fine example of why you need the albums.
    The rhythm section will blow you away cranked on a good system from the
    original vinyl. Awesome Hammond B3 and fuzz tone guitar.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  22. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

I recently found a nice copy of this, repressed as "One" in the less than $1 bin. Good pressing...lots of bottom end...great songs too. I had the Live at Forum album when it came out, long sold off. Really so many great singles...one, eli's coming, easy to be hard, and mama told me were all big. But i guess the biggest was joy to the world. Think i was 11 when that came out. Remember taping it off of wabc on a cheapo cassette player/recorder. Dan Ingram talking over the ending.

23. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have the 2-CD set Celebrate as well. Favourite hits include Easy to Be Hard, Celebrate, Pieces of April and Let Me Serenade You. On the other hand, Joy to the World makes me want to tear out my hair, and I'm none too fond of Mama Told Me Not To Come either, although it's a good song that achieves its aim.

But my favourite of all their songs is this one -

Three Dog Night, My Impersonal Life:

I think of the band as the American analogue to Canada's Guess Who.

One benefit of Celebrate is that it includes Danny Hutton's most enjoyable '65 hit single Roses and Rainbows, highlighted in my opinion by Earl Palmer's marvelous drum track.

24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Perhaps it is you who has aged beautifully as well

25. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I’m always pleased to see a thread on TDN. My first “favorite” band, the result of seeing them host the first “New Years Rockin’ Eve”. “Captured Live At The Forum” was one of the first albums I bought with my own money - I believe it was part of my first order from Record Club of America. They have remained in my Top 10 favorites these 50 plus years.

I remember watching a program on cable some years ago which discussed how rap/r&b artists sample songs to make their art. Don’t remember who the artist was, but he pulled out a copy of “Old Fashioned Love Song”, and started scratching on the B-side “Jam”. I thought it quite cool that a TDN song was used as the example.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024