Three Stooges Collection DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Are you talking about the Leonard Maltin-hosted doc THE LOST STOOGES? That has clips from the Stooges' appearances with Healy in the Joan Crawford/Clark Gable film DANCING LADY, as well
    as MEET THE BARON, two features that are available on DVD separately. Their MEET THE BARON bits are quite good, closer to what they'd wind up doing in their Columbia shorts.

Benno123 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  2. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Yes, that's it! I knew I remembered seeing things that were not on this new set. Thanks! Will have to watch that stuff again soon.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

$22 for 20 disc set on Amazon RIGHT NOW.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Unbelievable price!

5. Daniel Plainview

I'll probably never find the free time to watch it but the price is too good to pass up. Ordered!

Clark V Kauffman and audiomixer like this.
  6. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Recycling old musical production numbers was the whole point of making those shorts in the first place. That's actually why some of them are in Technicolor -- in order to match the Technicolor stock footage of the featured musical sequences.

I'm not sure which 4-DVD set you're referring to, but there have been a few different ones over the years released by Goodtimes, Legend Films and other companies. Typically they'll include some public domain films, segments from The New 3 Stooges cartoon series, trailers, commercials and the like, and sometimes a documentary with footage from various films. It's possible that you saw clips from something like Dancing Lady or Meet The Baron, neither of which are public domain (and it looks like the M-G-M Ted Healy shorts also were presumed to be public domain by some of these outfits, but are actually still under copyright). As far as the shorts the Stooges and/or Healy did at M-G-M, here is the filmography:

Nertsery Rhymes (Color, 7/6/33)
    Beer And Pretzels (8/26/1933)
    Hello Pop (Color, 9/16/33)
    Plane Nuts (10/14/33)
    Roast-Beef And Movies (Color, 2/10/34 -- Curly in a trio with two other comics instead of Moe and Larry)
    Jail Birds Of Paradise (Color, 3/10/34 -- Moe and Curly appear without Larry)
    The Big Idea (5/12/34)

All except Jail Birds Of Paradise are on the Warner Archive DVD. Hello Pop was considered a lost film until a couple years ago, while Jail Birds Of Paradise remains lost.

Plane Nuts intrigues me. It appears that they shot a film called Plane Nuts (with a working title of Around The World Backwards) which had to do with Healy and the Stooges flying in a plane. But it was scrapped and they reshot an entirely different film called Plane Nuts, which has nothing to do with airplanes (aside from the reused musical sequence) but instead is a filmed record of them doing their vaudeville act of the era on a stage. I mourn the loss of the originally-produced film, but celebrate the preservation of their stage act. Several stills from the original scrapped Plane Nuts are in Moe Howard's autobiography, and the Lenburg/Maurer/Lenburg book The Three Stooges Scrapbook includes an illustration of a few frames of the film -- I wonder where that came from, if it still survives today, and whether there was more than those few frames. The caption describes it as a "deleted scene" so I wonder if maybe it's not an entire two-reel short that was junked, but perhaps the film was to end with a plane sequence? The film as it stands ends rather abruptly with a reused musical production number, with no real conclusion, yet the running time is about the same as the other M-G-M shorts. A mystery.

They appeared in other films during this era as well -- the Three Stooges Online Filmography site is an excellent resource and also has information on video releases:

http://threestooges.net/filmography/index/THS

7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Interesting — Sony Pictures' Bewitched complete set (now in competition with a Mill Valley complete set) has popped up again at Walmart in Montreal, this time for $29.88. Maybe this is part of a trend.
    Update: Just checked, Sony's Bewitched is $25.99 on Amazon. and The Shield, also Sony and complete, is $22.99, as is the Partridge Family.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I already have it, but great price! Highly recommended.

Scope J likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...can anyone please tell me if the bonus DVD in the BOX is a DVDR?

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Pressed

Michael likes this.
  11. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Funny, the color in the print of NERTZERY RHYMES used on "USA Night Flight"(I'm assuming from a "Public Domain" source)is a lot better than in the print Turner used in LOST STOOGES and on TNT. This was back in the 80s.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Have you seen this one yet?
    [​IMG]

13. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

No, I haven't bought it, but I purchased the two VITAPHONE COMEDY COLLECTIONS with Arbuckle and Shemp.

14. Michael

I have...DVDR unfortunately.

15. Michael

thanks...a friend who bought the box last year said he got a DVDR for the bonus disc.

16. Michael

yea me too...love it.

17. MarkTheShark

I actually taped that. They used brief clips of Nertsery Rhymes and Roast-Beef And Movies in between other segments. It was the first time I had ever seen any footage from the M-G-M Stooge shorts. (I'd seen Dancing Lady and Hollywood Party.) Not long after, I got dubs of dubs of dubs of dubs of Nertsery Rhymes, Beer And Pretzels, Meet The Baron and the Columbia Shemp short Mr. Noisy from a fellow collector through the Three Stooges Fan Club. Those were the days.

I thought the Nertsery Rhymes footage Goodtimes used in one of their documentaries looked pretty nice too.

Benno123 likes this.
  18. MarkTheShark

I have got several DVDs from Warner Archive, and they all play fine, except for this one, which freezes up on Hello Pop, of all things. At least on the player in my bedroom.

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yes, it takes a LONG time. I got this for my birthday in April. My wife ordered it from Amazon and I am sure she didn't get it at this amazing price but that doesn't matter. We watch it when we can and I think we are on Volume 3. When we watch we try to watch for at least an hour and a half or so.

rburly likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

chilinvilin likes this.
  22. Michael

another reason why I loathe DVDRs from WA...a few friends got bad DVDRs from WA...they suck and at $15-25 a pop for a 10 cent DVDR!

23. Daniel Plainview

Price back up to $44 today.

24. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

I would like to see this whole set remastered for bluray

Benno123 likes this.
  25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Missed the low price. Rats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.