Three's Company (1977 to 1984)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Would that have applied after season 3? I am guessing a lot of that came from the later seasons, maybe when the bond and loyalty to Dansen was stronger.

My point is that the decision to continue or to stop a show after the star leaves isn't going to be influenced by exactly the same things all throughout the lifespan of the show, because things change from year to year.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'm merely paraphrasing what the writer Ken Levine stated. I don't remember a specific season being mentioned but regardless of this, the Sam/Diane dynamic was the focal point of the show until Shelly Long left. The bar was Sam's so it would be interesting to see what would've transpired had Ted Danson left instead but I strongly suspect the show wouldn't have lasted.

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Never bothered with it past the first episode, just a poor and slowed down re-write of this classic:

[​IMG]

Not forgetting the Ropers, George and Mildred:
    [​IMG]

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

and let us not forget (this is shf)
    [​IMG]

interesting choice making jack a beatles fan in 1976, i wonder who put that up

RobRoyF, jamesc, zebop and 2 others like this.
  5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

cindy had more curves, and gave jack more bruises.

6. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, would have been interesting to see what they would have done. Obviously a transfer of ownership from Sam to someone else. I would have found it interesting if Fred Dryer took over the role - I was always a fan of Hunter. And a quick Google search seems to show that he almost got the part. Think he could have played a similar character as Danson's, and a lot of the same dynamics on the show could have continued. I think they would have done something like that if it was early enough in the show.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The story is that NBC and the producers offered Woody Harrelson the lead in the show to continue, so presumably Woody would have owned or managed the bar in Sam’s absence. That wouldn’t have worked.

8. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

There’s only one Mrs Roper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    goodiesguy and the pope ondine like this.
  9. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Apparently there was a Swedish version too. Opening scenes of all 3 compared

goodiesguy and Grant like this.
  10. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

If memory serves I read somewhere a long time ago that John Ritter waa a Beatles fan...so probably his idea.

jamesc, 905, RobRoyF and 3 others like this.
  11. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

You'd LOVE my wife then.

12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I am not sure if the show could have survived without Danson. Considering how the Sam and Diane storyline dominated, the show, you couldn't just drop a new actor in to replace Sam and inevitably forced a contrived relationship with Diane. Cheers is a great example of a show where it worked so well because of the ensemble, but also had the one main character that you had to have (Sam).

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. It would have taken a bit of finesse and some time to do that. Maybe a season or two of slow build up. Definitely not right away. But I have no doubt Diane would fall for another guy if he was like Sam. I don't think that's too far fetched. And I suppose one of Sam's former teammates taking over the bar would have been logical.

14. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I really hope the wife of whom you speak does not have access to your posts at this forum...

reddyempower likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I know virtually no one will get this, but the Jack and Larry friendship on Three's Company company very much reminds me of the Phil Harris and Frankie's friendship on The Phil Harris and Alice Faye show from the days of Radio. The main character had so many character flaws, that to make him palatable as the lead to the audience they needed a best friend character that had even more and deeper flaws to make the lead seem not as bad by comparison.

Here is a sample show that is fun to listen to Larry and Frankie's characters are virtually identical.

Phil Harris and Alice Faye Podcast! 1948-10-03 - First Show for Rexall

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, why was he looking?:laugh: Oh, that's right, we don't judge. :)
    Why? Some women love that men love their extra assets, and they flaunt it. Not all people, or societies look down on thicker women. That bias against thicker women seems to be unique to Europe and Eastern Asia, and the Northern Americas.

Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls

This song was on the charts at the same time Three's Company was riding high in the ratings.

17. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

This really shows how superior the U.K. original is. Better acting, and unlike so many U.S. sitcoms, a normal size flat! (the Three's Company set is UN-nesserarily large).

Plus, Who could turn down Chrissy aka Paula Wilcox?

[​IMG]

Though Jo (Sally Thomsett) was no slouch either!
    [​IMG]

Evethingandnothing likes this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

seems pretty small

Scowl, jamesc, SomeCallMeTim and 8 others like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Because it is pretty small! No idea how anyone can consider it unnecessarily large, especially for three people.

And let's face it, the only reason the apartment was small in the show Man About The House, is because they couldn't afford to spend more on it. That describes 99% of most British TV shows over the years :)

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sorry but having lived in the UK for many years, I'd have to disagree with that statement, as a blanket statement anyway.

Yes there are a lot of great shows from the UK but Man About The House isn't one of them. I know people love it and I chalk it down to nostalgia. Saw plenty of re-runs of all these "amazing" UK shows from the past while I was there. They were not as great as everyone makes them out to be. It's no different than anywhere really.

I'm not saying Three's Company is the height of TV quality, but Man About The House isn't really any better.

Joseph.McClure and Jack Lord like this.
  21. I agree. John Ritter was a great talent that was wasted on this show. Idiot scripts and insipid stories. Even as a 16 year old I knew this was a crap show.

VU Master, BrettyD and Vidiot like this.
  22. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Liked the show, but I guess it was because I loved John Ritter.

jason88cubs likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Really nice cover version

Jack Lord likes this.
  24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

+1

The funny thing was it took me a few episodes to "accept" him as Jack Tripper. Prior to that, he had been Reverend Fordwick on The Waltons. Went from playing a straight-laced clergyman in the Depression-era South to a carousing ladies man in late 70s SoCal.

That is versatility.

25. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

AND he was fantastic as Rev. Fordwick too

Jack Lord likes this.