Three's Company: Janet, Chrissy, Cindy or Terri?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I liked her.

And, watching a couple of episodes featuring Priscilla barnes, I guess I don't remember her character as well as I thought. For some reason, I remembered her as a mean, ball-busting type, but the truth is that she was just the opposite of Chrissie and Cindi, and she provided a real buddy for the Janet character. I just remembered that I didn't like her character.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Chrissy, for me. The only one out of the four that I watched while "doing my taxes." :)

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

She was introduced that way at the hospital when jack needed a shot. Then at the party they threw for her jack doused himself with seltzer water and the three roomates became bffs

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  4. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

My choice: Terri all the way! She was hot and had some smarts and sass...I like that.

Janet: She was pretty hot in the first two seasons, but I lost interest when she started rockin' the Pat Benatar hair.
    Chrissy: Dumb girls annoy me, and they made her really dumb (she was normal in Season 1) - worked for the show, but would be annoying in real life. Suzanne Sommers was great in that other show with Patrick Duffy (I'm drawing a blank on the name of that one).
    Cindy: Wasted character, as you can tell they wanted to make her a Chrissy clone; but instead of being dumb, they just made her a klutz. Annoying at times.

Loved Three's Company as a kid, and even more so as an adult because there's so many jokes and innuendos that went right over my head as a kid.
    Favorite character on the show: Mr. Furley!!! Don Knotts is the best!

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

The Suzanne Somers/Patrick Duffy show was Step By Step.. :)

JWew likes this.
  6. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

^ That's right - thank you! :thumbsup:

zebop likes this.
  7. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Don't forget that once the Burnett show went off the air its director, Dave Powers, moved to "Three's Company". ;)

Grant likes this.
  8. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have always loved this picture ... three original, unique talents together in one photo.

[​IMG]

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Janet seemed the most "real" of the girls.
    However, Chrissy is just so hot. usually I don't go for obvious sex appeal like hers, but what can ya do?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

She was hot in that.

11. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I watched the entire series, it was part of Tues night must-see tv for me and the hubby back then. (A 2 hr block of Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, and Soap.)
    Many wanted Jack and Janet to end up together. But out of nowhere comes this girl named Vicky, who sweeps him off his feet. It was kind of odd because the character was introduced only at the end. But I guess that's how it goes sometimes when introducing a spin-off.

Grant likes this.
  12. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Larry Dallas was a real heel in that episode!

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The anti-gay jokes by Roper/Furely are a little surprising (I won't say "shocking", really) and took me a little while to get used to. They aren't really offensive in so much as they're just kind of not funny.

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree that Jack and Janet should have ended up together. Their relationship could have slowly changed from friendship to love in the last season or two, culminating with Jack and Janet getting married. Although I liked Vicky, she seemed to be quickly inserted into the show rather than developing as a character. In the same way, it seemed like Janet's fiancee was also quickly introduced into the show just like Vicky, and it seemed forced like "we have to do something with Janet."

If the plan was to have Jack and Vicky end up together, I would rather have had her introduced and then take the third slot in the show (taking the place of Chrissy and Cindy) rather than introduce Terri. Then Vicky could have evolved into an interesting character on the show, and the relationship between her and Jack could have developed slowly.

15. bluejeanbaby

@Solitaire1 I wished they'd get together too. Oh well. Can't quite remember, was Janet's fiance introduced only in the end too?

We watched a few ep of Three's A Crowd, but lost interest as time went on. Was that just 1 season? Then there's The Ropers, it didn't last a whole season. Helen came back to TC for an ep when she and Stanley had an argument, after TR was cancelled. I seem to recall Lindley and Fell were to re-enter the series if TR didn't go over good, but it didn't happen. Don Knotts was too popular as the landlord. He did play it very well!

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, Three's A Crowd only lasted one season.

Three's a Crowd (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) »

The Ropers actually lasted longer (more episodes were produced).

The Ropers (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) »

I'm going to copy and paste from The Ropers IMDB Trivia page:

So yeah, basically Fell and Lindley got screwed over through no fault of their own.

I actually like The Ropers (the spinoff) quite a bit. It airs weekends on Antenna TV.

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

John Ritter on the episode Up in the Air ranks with Lucille Ball.
    His work is butchered in the syndicated version!

18. bluejeanbaby

@PaulKTF Oh, so that's why the Ropers didn't return. The show was cancelled 6 mo too late! Ya, too bad they kinda got the bum end. With Mr. Furley ending up an excellent replacement, maybe the extra 6 mo were intentional so the Ropers wouldn't have to come back.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Your cynicism is well-founded. :) Yes, I think they kept The Ropers spinoff alive just along enough so they could have an excuse to not have to bring them back.

905 and bluejeanbaby like this.
  20. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I loved Roper's "Tinkerbell" impression.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The tinkerbell hand gesture made me laugh..but for the most part kind of tasteless.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that is pretty funny. :) It's a very Don Knotts thing to do, ironically.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I gotta say I don't remember Cindy.
    After a season or so of Three's Company I kinda outgrew it. The late 70s brought on some pretty bad shows: Joe And Valerie, Joanie Loves Chachi, Charlie's Angels, Chips, It's A Living, Love Boat, etc etc. I stopped actively watching TV around that time. I was onto record collecting and learning guitar instead!

kt66brooklyn and Billy_Sunday like this.
  24. bluejeanbaby

@O Don Piano Cindy was Chrissy's cousin, sent so Jack & Janet could still pay rent without falling behind. The popularity of Suzanne Somers as Chrissy led to Cindy being related. The network was a little afraid they'd lose viewers without Somers, but not really enough to give in to the demands of the actress.

You mention Love Boat. Saturday was a popular tv viewing night for many in the late 70's, with the double whammy of Love Boat & Fantasy Island. Add the "new" SNL to the mix and business at movie theaters and bars sometimes took a dive, depending on all the guest stars on the shows.

O Don Piano likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't remember Priscilla Barnes in "Mallrats" so I looked up pics - now I remember!

Surprised that she was only 40 when she shot that - her face looks older than that to me, honestly... :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.