Thrill of Discovery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Nov 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

For me, most recently, it was Dr. Feelgood. A buddy gave me a bunch of old DVD's and one was a show of their's, late 80's. Knocked me out, and I jumped in....documentary, a couple CD sets, and now a biography of Lee Brilleaux is on the way.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

People Have the Power is on Dream of Life - one of the best sounding CD's out there, imo. There is a cool book of all her lyrics out there, also worth having. As are ALL her books, to be fair.

Who'sTommy and ralphb like this.
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

If you're not into avant garde (Stockhausen, Cage, Brown etc,) classical - then don't. :D

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I kind of envy someone who's hearing Patti for the first time, she was seismic for me back in '75.
    Get a good comp of her poetry then Just Kids, M Train, Devotion, Year Of The Monkey. Her writing is hypnotic.

Sear and Who'sTommy like this.
  5. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I bought three of those books as well, except for "Devotion". Just started reading "Just Kids". But thanks for the recommendations!

ralphb likes this.
  6. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

A concert highlight of my life was seeing her and band (first time) on that Dylan tour, mid(?) 90's. Gone Again is a fantastic record, IMO.

ralphb likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I have and like I want to see the bright lights, but it's a real downer

8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I "discovered" recently Tusk by Fleetwood Mac

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Agreed, Gone Again is an amazing comeback.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  10. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I’ve been inspired a lot lately by genre samplers/label samplers to broaden my horizon. Found that you get a great bargain from the UK NOW releases. 5CDs of whatever music you like for an affordable price.

11. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Pretty much everything I've listened to for the past 7 or 8 years is nowhere near "new", but "new to me". This year, I've enjoyed getting into the band Triumph, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, a Japanese heavy metal band called 44Magnum, and Y&T.

12. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

Recently I took a liking to classical music. Never cared much about it before. It began with really liking the sound of the violin, so I got into a few violin concertos (the first SACDs with Heifetz by Living Stereo). I don't like piano concertos at all, though - can't keep my concentration when I listening to them. But I think I will delve into "ordinary" symphonies now.

13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Chris Stapleton is featured on 1 track on Mike Campbell (frmr. Tom Petty co-songwriter, guitarist/The Heartbreakers). Just released Friday:
    The Dirty Knobs - Wreckless Abandon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fkl26kYRc4 -Pistol Packin' Mama w/Chris Stapleton
    The premiere debut livestream gig from The Troubador, sans audience is up on demand through November 30th on fans.live:
    FANS | Be in the Stream

Also recommend Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury as you're liking Chris Stapleton's newest release.
    Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit Live From The Ryman
    Conor Oberst And The Mystic Valley Band - Outer South

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IjZ3dBG9C4 - Roosevelt Room, from Outer South
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHzbGAAyQBU - Slowly, "

For rockabilly:
    J.D. McPherson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKBmHEtpg5E - Fire Bug

& w/the holidays upon us:
    J.D.'s - Socks
    [​IMG]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swukov55ZuY

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  14. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I spent my teenage years in the 80s listening to AOR stuff (Asia, Toto, Foreigner, etc) and the next few decades I was busy catching up with what I had missed before, which left me little time following new contemporary music. Thus basically until the last decade I missed almost everything the first time around. :cry:

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Robert Glasper.

I love his piano playing, and exploration of the space between hard bop, hip-hop and electronica. A brilliant all-rounder, as comfortable with Herbie Hancock-type stuff as with Radiohead and glitchy beats. This is 21st century jazz! Blue Note

Vijay Iyer is another one -- killer pianist and composer, pushing the boundaries of jazz, but generally with more traditional ensembles. I particularly love his trio session Break Stuff. ECM

Music is alive and well ...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.