"Throw The 'Mats A Dime": The Replacements News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 18, 2019.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I didn't get around to doing this until now, but I ripped a couple of tracks off Dead Man's Pop that had some control room chatter that was too quiet to be heard on normal playback, and I amplified those bits by about 10 times the normal volume. (I wouldn't try doing this on the fly on your stereo since they come very close to the recorded audio.) It's actually amusing hearing Tony Berg's comments for what they've just done. At the end of "Portland," he immediately says "in its own wacky way, that was a really good take." Then in his conversation with Paul after "Wake Up," his enthusiasm is through the roof:

Tony: "OH F***!"
    Paul: "What do we do now?"
    Tony: "[can't make it out - "oh nud"? ] That take was unbelievable, until the end..."

I wonder what the subsequent takes for "Wake Up" sounded like? Since they're not on the box, I'm guessing either a) the band knocked it out of the park that one time (save for the mistake at the end), and for whatever reason couldn't nail it again, or b) those other takes were casualties from that mass tape-erasure Matt Wallace talked about in that Rhino podcast interview, the same one that claimed the multi-track for the full-band take of "We Know the Night."

2. JayB

JayB Senior Member

My money is waiting Jason...:)

redsock, tstrapac and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

My favorite was Hootenanny which set the table for the next three LPs. That is where I came in and first saw them live, so it shouldn't be a surprise it is my favorite. Here is hoping for an expanded edition of that LP. Perhaps there is a straight up take of the lead off track?

Michael Macrone and Cyberhog9 like this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Jason mentioned earlier in the thread that they don't have enough material to do a dedicated Hootenanny box, so Hootenanny outtakes are not on the immediate horizon.

5. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

You're gonna have to wait a little bit longer (vinyl manufacturing deadlines, etc.), but something will happen in 2023.

6. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Hell, I REALLY want a coffee table book of Chris Mars’ art. There was a fabulous interview with him in contemporary art magazine Juxtapoz

dee likes this.
  7. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Fingers crossed for All Shook Down and Chris Mars’ 4-track demos

AlienRendel and Rainy Taxi like this.
  8. dee

dee Senior Member

I heard in my head those 10LP sets for the new Dylan release set things back a few days ;). Time out of mind; patience is priceless.

Tim, ASD, Let it Be, something else, entering a 'no lose' not 'you lose' situation for a 2023 release...

9. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

Could this mean the next box is set and ready to go, outside of being pressed?

10. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

There is one. I own it.

Beamish13 likes this.
  11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The Tolerance monograph has been out of print for a while, and I’d love to see something with newer works in it

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  12. Clues so far suggest it’s gonna be Let it Be. Which works just fine for me!

joelee, Musick, C6H12O6 and 2 others like this.
  13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

That would be awesome.

joelee, C6H12O6 and Michael Macrone like this.
  14. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Please God!

15. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Nearly.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

If so, what kind of live material could be part of it? Could there be more concert material from previous years, with Bob Stinson? Will be interesting if so.

I kinda felt like I was 'too old' for lack of a better term for some of the Sorry Ma set. I still love the main album and some of the bonus tracks. Let It Be is still a pretty raw and angst-filled album but another leap forward in terms of some subject matter and some arrangements too imo.

Funny if so, if while some of us have been wondering or maybe wishing for a Tim remix, I wonder if its Let It Be that could get the same?

quicksrt likes this.
  17. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

18. I suspect The Sh!t Hits the Fans set will be part of any Let It Be set. As you probably know, it’s a much more solid set than its reputation and pretty much captures what they were about at the time.

19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I wondered if that might get a legit release. Seems like it might be a nightmare to sort out the royalties for it though!

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  20. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I found a copy of Toronto LP and it’s on the way. Glad I saw this and very curious to hear the mix.

21. Jay Dee Gee

Jay Dee Gee Well-Known Member

Just got an email from the official Replacements site about the Riot Fest release. Took me back a bit. Anyone else on that mailing list receive it?

ceddy10165 and SteveFff like this.
  22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Have heard nothing, but would always look forwards to any 'Mats release!

I picked this up recently. Relatively (in a few cases, quite) lo-fi, but fun-to-hear outtakes and a cool cover:

[​IMG]

23. shelflife

shelflife Forum Resident

Yup

SteveFff likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Brian Lux likes this.
  25. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    ceddy10165, dee, Jay Dee Gee and 8 others like this.