Ticks in new vinyl record

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johan Bos, Dec 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fish

fish Senior Member

Absolutely! Ordered McCartney 1 on red vinyl not long ago. 2 defects in the vinyl.
    I had to take a video of it skipping to get a replacement.
    they did so. Replacement was perfect.

And every time I buy an Ani DiFranco vinyl new it’s full of defects, wtf?!?

2. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I clean all my reords - both new and second hand - with my Spinclean recordcleaner.

3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

:righton:

other thing i do is to check the inner sleeve ... and replace it when i see it's low quality (example: paper sleeve)

then, before every record play a carbon fiber brush and stylus brush from time to time and ... voilá! perfect reproduction for many, many years.

but you need a good pressing record, obviously :). good luck.

4. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

I bought a Gillian Welch LP through their online store. It had some ticks. I ordered another one, the replacement had more ticks. I emailed Acony customer service about it. They sent me two white jacket LPs and hoped one was satisfactory. Apparently, it was a Quality Pressing and they were having problems with it. Acony and Quality both rose to the occasion to make sure I got a perfect LP. And I’m sure Acony didn’t take it on the chin. Acony didn’t even request I return any of them. So I have one perfect one and three with ticks probably only I would notice. (Makes for great gifts for my friends and family.)

So never assume a retailer eats it on a return. If it ain’t right, return it. You have every right to expect a high quality product.

ltusler likes this.
  5. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I couldn't imagine spending any of my time worrying about 2 or 3 pops on a record! It seems to be the norm now, especially on rock releases. If I buy a completely quiet new record I feel like I won the lottery! Life's short, just enjoy the music...

K.K. Bing, muletrane and monte4 like this.
  6. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Some music, like Pink Floyd’s The Great Gig in the Sky, beckon for a defect-free LP. The first one I received had infill defects there, and the replacement LP is spot-on. Glad I exchanged it.

Gillian Welch’s music is very open, any defects stand out like a sore thumb, and are plainly noticed.

As far as most rock, my opinion is that most defects would be masked.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it rarely does. In most cases, the store or outlet just eats the cost. I doubt much gets sent back. For another example, Amazon usually just resell on Warehouse deals.

8. Gumbo72203

Gumbo72203 Well-Known Member

I thought it was drums at first but it sounds like a scratch, or something wrong with their stamper.

I often find scratched records these days because the cutting engineer did not edge the record properly, leaving debris (metal or vinyl) which then scratches the record in an aggressive zig zag geometric shape. Thwack thwack thwack after that.

9. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

If a couple of pops is a problem, I do not think vinyl is a good format to collect.
    If the album have pops for 60 second, I think there is a problem one can return the album for.

I don't like pops at all. So I getting the degritter ultrasonic washer and the sweetvinyl sugarcube.

muletrane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.