Tiger King on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bruce Racket, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of keeping wild animals in captivity, but at least public zoos tend to be accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and have staff veterinarians and behaviorists, and attempt to provide adequate nutrition, space, and appropriate enrichment and social groupings, among other things sorely lacking at unaccredited roadside zoos.

2. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident Thread Starter

For sure. I think the whole idea of putting a big cat in a cage is abuse. The cats to land/cage ratio was sad. I'm not sure how you could ever properly care for 2 big cats at one time let alone 227?!?! Unless maybe if you had a fenced in ranch the size of a small US state. The logistics to properly try to care for these animals is mind-boggling.

It was an insight into a fascinating subculture. It reminded me of a live action "Simpsons" episode. Except the people were even more over the top than any Simpsons characters I've ever seen.

For all of Joe Exotic's faults, and there are many, he seemed like a hard worker. :D

GodShifter likes this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I've been hearing about this for a week, just watched the first episode. I know what I'll be binging this weekend!

Bruce Racket, Scope J and bpmd1962 like this.
  4. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

this must be a blast on good weed

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

This show looks like a case of where the humans are more inbred than the tigers.

Joking aside the big issue with those domestic tigers is that most of them are genetically broken. They all need to be genetically tested and the ones that are too inbred sterilised at least.

Vidiot, GodShifter and Bruce Racket like this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I learned to not do meth.

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Literally my entire social media feed is watching this mess, so now we’re doing it. This is our life now. Nothing matters. Death is inevitable.

9. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

My thought was this is why cousins shouldn't have sex.

Bruce Racket and daglesj like this.
  10. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I've only watched the first half an hour so far but I am struggling with the animals in cages though to be honest :( Depends how you define 'abuse' I guess. For me if they're in a cage it's abuse :(

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Joe Exotic has more than 200 violations of the Animal Welfare Act to his name.

Bruce Racket and Derek Slazenger like this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Right there with you...it’s horrible.

13. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

The reason there are so many of them is because they can make big profits from pimping out the cubs for petting and whatnot, after a couple of months though they are too dangerous and are effectively useless, costing around 10 grand a year to keep (depending on who you believe).

There were hints about some of them being euthanised after they’d outgrown their usefulness, I’m not sure which were the lucky ones, them or the ones doomed to a life in this crappy cages.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

This whole subculture seems disturbing to me. These people are not Sigfried & Roy with the financial means to care for the animals humanely. And we know what happened with them.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh my god... what a documentary. We're only two hours into it, and I'm partly in shock. Every one of these people is horrific... there is no good side. And they're all completely insane. This is a jaw-droppingly weird show, very slickly-produced and well-edited. The amazing thing for me is that all of the cat people assumed the show was going to present them in a complimentary way... but that's not exactly what happened. Riveting show. I totally get why it's pretty much the #1 show in America right now.

Promo here, for anybody who's curious...

This is a trainwreck from which you can't look away.

turnersmemo, Dan C, Brendan K and 6 others like this.
  16. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident

By the final episode you’ve seen so much crazy sh.. you barley notice the guy that keeps a monkey in his shirt.

Tanx, Dan C, MikeInFla and 8 others like this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

All the main characters are crazy. It feels like a Coen Brothers movie, except it's real. Truly: You couldn't make this stuff up.

One takeaway: If you are going to raise lions and tigers, live near a Walmart.
    Another takeaway: Teeth are so overrated.

Tanx, turnersmemo, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  18. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident

This show definitely raises the bar for crazy.

mrjinks and Bruce Racket like this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'd have to watch it again to be certain, but the documentary seems to suggest/insinuate that Joe Exotic finished 3rd in the OK governor's race with 18% of the vote. He finished third in the primary for the Libertarian Party, and got less than 700 total votes. This open-ended type of potential distortion makes me call other things into question.

20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was prepared to give this a hard pass, but I relented and watched episode one last night. Holy smokes, no one could make this stuff up! Yes, I too am deeply disturbed by the animals in cages, but the train wreck of human characters is fascinating. Couldn't Joe's former husband at least have put on a shirt for the interview?

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Seems like he was quite proud of his tattoos. :hurl:

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

23. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In season two Dentists Without Borders attempt an intervention.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, one problem with documentaries in general is you can edit them with any kind of preconceived notion and then assemble enough footage to justify your case. For example, the guy with no teeth actually got his teeth replaced while the documentary was being done, but they chose not to show him that way:

[​IMG]

Documentaries are kind of like propaganda in a way, since they're presenting you with a version of the facts, but the facts are often subjectively chosen in such a way so as to create a specific reaction. It's rare you find a documentary that's truly objective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.