Tiger King on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bruce Racket, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident Thread Starter

In Carole Baskins former business, for $ you could spend the night with big cats in the cabins @ her B & B. Yes, they brought them to your cabin for the night. You could elect to either leave them in the cage all night in your cabin and I guess sit there and watch them like a TV. Or you could let them roam free though your cabin all night. So you could literally sleep with big cats.
    I finally remembered the "e" in her name too. :winkgrin:
    Wildlife On Easy Street Bed and Breakfast

2. Bruce Racket

Agreed, he seemed like the most sensible one of the bunch.

formu_la likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Were you doing anything 23 years ago that you figured out was a bad idea and stopped?

GLUDFSSR and Bruce Racket like this.
  4. Bruce Racket

Of course. :D But that doesn't change the facts.
    She appears to have a cult of personality around her like the rest. It's really weird how these figures attract so many followers. It's pretty fascinating.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    MPLRecords likes this.
  5. RayS

I am all for the cause she advocates and the proposed legislation she promotes. So as I watched the series I would think to myself whenever she and/or her husband came on screen, "Please don't act like a wack job. For the sake of the animals, act like a sane and level-headed person when you know the camera is on you". Nope. The clothes, the "cat" head gear (whatever you'd call it), the singing to each other on camera ... it all obscures and cheapens the cause instead of promoting it, IMO.

ZoSoUK, turnersmemo, kwadguy and 5 others like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The moment they showed the internet videos of her that open with, "hey, cats & kittens!", I knew she was just another nutcase.

Dan C, aroney, blind_melon1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Colorado Sanctuary Home to 39 Tigers Once Owned By Tiger King's Joe Exotic: They're 'Happier'

There’s so much to the story that didn’t make it into the series. Among other things, PETA was to inspect Dade City’s Wild Things in FL as part of its Endangered Species Act suit against that facility. Rather than allow the inspection, the facility’s owners shipped 19 tigers to Joe Exotic, one of whom was pregnant. The cubs were born and died in transit to OK. Joe faced liability for this himself, and so agreed to turn the surviving tigers over to The Wild Animal Sanctuary in CO. He later agreed to transfer several more. Here’s an update, at the link above.

Bruce Racket, RobRoyF and RayS like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Not surprising as Jeff Lowe comes across as one of the creepier, more spotlight seeking individuals in the whole thing. Every thing about him screams, "con artist and douche bag". I'm sure this next episode of "Tiger King" focuses solely on him.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

This was a very entertaining series, maybe a bit too drawn out, but there was a lot of craziness to absorb.

I know Carol comes off as the villain in this, but I would argue she is probably the sole voice of reason amongst all the unreasonable characters. Take the whole murder thing out of the equation (which really has no evidence to back it up, just a lot of rumour and speculation), and she doesn't come off as a complete nutjob.

I'm not saying she is 100% innocent, something clearly happened, but I'm not convinced she fed him to a tiger. The heavy bias against her throughout the series painted her in the light that Joe wanted, but that guy truly was a scumbag of the highest order.

GLUDFSSR, bopdd, Gabe Walters and 2 others like this.
  11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

She reminds me a bit the nurse from the 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. Cold, clever, calculating. Can feel a monster behind the fake facade.

Dan C and Bruce Racket like this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

This is amazing TV I have to say.

I was aware of this guy many years ago when Louis Theroux interviewed him. But that was that and then.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

[​IMG]

Louise Fletcher as "Nurse Ratched". I can see that.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  14. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

No discussion of the use of a Confidential Informant by the Federal government to convict "tiger joe", or the feeding of the narrative by Jeff Lowe to Allen Glover?
    I thought that aspect raised many concerning issues.

Tanx and Bruce Racket like this.
  15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The reality show producer guy was a like a commercial for not smoking. That voice.

ZoSoUK, Bruce Racket and GodShifter like this.
  16. RayS

Those teeth

17. vamborules

Yeah but to me it makes it look like she just found a new angle. I don't know. I see her as kind of a shifty character. (yes I realize the show wants me to)

Bruce Racket likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes and yes.

Bruce Racket and vamborules like this.
  19. vamborules

The guy worked with Bill O'Reilly and Joe Exotic. He's logged some tough miles.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:laugh:

Joe Exotic had to be the easier of the two!

Bruce Racket, mrjinks and vamborules like this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I've got one episode left. The show is ok, I guess. Not the masterpiece that is being hyped. It would have made a better 2 or 3 hour show but that's par for the course on most of these true crime miniseries. Maybe a year ago this would have been more of a spectacle, but really, not much shocks me anymore.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Who hyped this as a “masterpiece”?

It’s getting a ton of views due to the situation ova hea. People have a lot of time on their hands and few options.

Is it Ken Burn’s “The Civil War”? No. But it’s better than “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” for sure.

Oh, hey!

jeffreybh, Efus and Bruce Racket like this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

While there aren't any primary characters in the show that you'd call "heroes," A
    A healthy adult cat eats $600 in chicken a day?

That's about $200k/year/cat. Can that possibly be correct?

Bruce Racket likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

they ranged from "seedy" to "heinous murdery type" I guess the guy who worked on his libertarian campaign and saw the other guy kills himself seemed like a decent guy....kind of stood out

Bruce Racket likes this.
  25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I don't think showing he has his teeth fixed would have changed anything. There is only so much fuel you can fit in a dumpster fire anyway. :)

Bruce Racket, GodShifter and daglesj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.