Time-Life and False Advertising!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vanmeterannie, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Senior Member Thread Starter

I was up early this morning with my daughter and flipping channels as she went back to sleep, and came across a Time-Life infomercial touting one of their oldies packages. What caught my eye was the old B&W clips they were showing. At any rate, on comes a later rerecording of "The Twist", which they sync'd with the old original footage of him doing the original! Then the announcer comes on and specifically says, "All the original recording by the original artists, no re-recordings." I couldn't believe it!

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Van, are you sure it was the 70s re-recording?

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The original recording is hard as %#$@ to find. :sigh:

4. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

Ugh. That's horrible.

5. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Are you sure it says "No re-recordings"? Chubby is, after all, the original artist (well, Hank Ballard was..). That's a common K-Tel trick: get the original singer in the studio to record a soundalike, then advertise the record as being by the "original artist." At least they were in stereo! And we know that Chubby re-recorded a lot of his hits on his own, so that he could make the money he was losing because Klein woudn't release or license the originals.

6. vanmeterannie

vanmeterannie Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I'm certain it's not the original. It sounds totally different.

The host specifically said "no re-recordings" within minutes after the fake Twist played. That's why I was so astounded! I expected what you say, and was listening to see how they handled it, but no, they claimed proudly that they were all the original recordings and, again, used the words "no re-recordings" unless I was dreaming.

This is the one with Ringo Starr as co-host - has anybody else seen this?

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I can vouch, I saw the same infomercial a few weeks ago, and wondered the same thing. I don't know the "hit" version of "The Twist" well enough to tell it apart from the recut, at least from the snipped played in the spot, but I did wonder if they'd somehow gotten the rights to the Cameo/Parkway version.

If they didn't, and they're saying "no recuts", then that's just dishonest, or just a really uninformed marketing department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.