Time Life's flower power cd set new sealed 10 cd set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shokhead, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Anyone know much about these like the mastering and how how they sound?

2. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

Heard this set a few months ago. The mastering isn't bad, but it's nothing outstanding either. Lots of great music on it though.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I think it sounds just fine. It's not DCC/AF quality but what else is?!

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's the same recycled songs Time-Life has been selling for 15 years, like the Sounds of the Seventies, Classic Rock, AM Gold, Superhits, and so on. Some of the later-mastered stuff is OK, but it bugs me that they keep repackaging the same music over and over again, with virtually nothing new included. They act like there were only 500 hits from 1960-1980, and there were a lot more great songs released during those years than that.

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Like mentioned above, recycled to infinity. NOTHING new here. Sad part is, the BEST collections were the ones out of print: Rock and Roll Era(50's - 64), Classic Rock (64-69) and Sounds of the Seventies. Was able to replace the 50's and 70's sets, but the 60's set is a little harder to track down. After all, we're talking 120 CD's total!

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have it and I like it. I could check the liner notes to find out who mastered it.

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Is this a CD set?

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, mine came in a nice box.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For a trip down musical lane, its tough to beat. I really enjoyed listening to these disc and the sound is good enough that you wont feel cheated.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

One of the tracks on this set is "Alice's Rock and Roll Restaurant" which is a track hard to find on CD otherwise and is the 45 version of "Alice's Restaurant Massacree," but the album version is superior to the 45 version, IMO.

11. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

Yeah, it doesn't sound bad by any means, but it's about as good as one can expect from Time Life.

12. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Comments like this irk me. There's plenty of stuff on the Time-Life label that sounds outstanding, especially if Dennis Drake had anything to do with it.

highway chile and billnunan like this.
  13. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

I haven't heard all of their releases (who has?), but what I've heard so far (Flower Power, a lot of the discs from each individual year of the 60's and 70's, Guitar Rock) is certainly not outstanding. It doesn't sound bad, but "outstanding" would be quite the overstatement.

And I'm somewhat familiar with Dennis Drake's work. I've got a West German CD of Rainbow's album Rising (with Drake credited for mastering), and it sounds outstanding.

14. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

See here (with credit to forum member crapfromthepast):

http://www.crapfromthepast.com/favorites/compilations/timelife/index.htm

It includes many references to specific projects/CDs that were handled by Dennis Drake. And to say that many of them sound "outstanding" really isn't an overstatement.

The Sounds Of The Seventies series is really excellent. If you like schmaltzy Top 40 soft rock, lots of the Body Talk series sounds great, too. Highly recommended!

Time-Life is a media POWERHOUSE. In my (perhaps subjective) experience, they don't generally cut corners.

Cheers,
    Ivan

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is on a few CDs, but it is somewhat hard to find:

Folk Favorites of the ’60s And ’70s ~ Reader’s Digest 216C

Lost Hits of the ’60s: 40 Solid Gold AM Radio Classics ~ Sound Exchange OPCD-4573

The Summer of Peace, Love & Music - Vol. 1 ~ Platinum (Can.) S21-18076

I honestly didn't know it was out on the Flower Power CD. I'll have to locate that and get it indexed for my database.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Ah....but these include COMPLETE liner notes, as opposed to whatever liner notes were included on previous issues. ;)

Matt

18. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

19. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The quality for the time was top notch, and the only place to find most of the lesser known tracks. My only beef was the quality of the discs itself. I could go back, I would have burned all 120 discs before Katrina put them under water for 6 weeks putting the nail in their coffin.

20. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

21. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I just picked up the "Groovin'" 2-disc set. Not sure if it's the same mastering as the big box or not. Mine is dated 2007 and has a "Mastering Engineer: Digiprep" credit.

I don't like the sound of it. I can't quite put a finger on it. It's not compressed or limited, as far as I can tell. There aren't any egregious EQ mishaps. It just doesn't sound right, though. A bad case of "digititis" - really harsh sounding. Like they used good sources, didn't use too much limiting or EQ, but they just futzed with it somehow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.